Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Corally RDX Touring Car >

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

as a new convert, I am building the RDX, and have a couple of questions

Do i need different (shorter) camber links? With the dayger setup its already screwed all the way in and I havent even put it on the board??

where are the 2mm spacers listed as "shims under coupler" on the front..i am asuming between the bulkhead and the hignepin (roll centre mount)??

Also, what are the position of these roll centre blocks on the dayger setup??

2,3 seem circles, so is it lower hole with the dot on the roll block to the top?

Old 03-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BritRacer
as a new convert, I am building the RDX, and have a couple of questions

Do i need different (shorter) camber links? With the dayger setup its already screwed all the way in and I havent even put it on the board??

where are the 2mm spacers listed as "shims under coupler" on the front..i am asuming between the bulkhead and the hignepin (roll centre mount)??

Also, what are the position of these roll centre blocks on the dayger setup??

2,3 seem circles, so is it lower hole with the dot on the roll block to the top?

Well I can't say anything about Daygers setup but I would assume he is using the ultra low roll center blocks in the #1 position for running on carpet.
The stock camber links should be ok, but using rpm ball cups you have to trim them a little to get negative camber on your shortest camber link position.
As for the 2 - 1mm shims under the couplers that is referring to shims to be placed between the bulk head and the roll center blocks to widen the front end.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

The #79120 blocks are your standard roll center blocks that come with the car and the #79121 are the ultra low roll center blocks that drivers have been using with foams on carpet.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Are there low AND ultra low roll centre blocks??....crap i just ordered 8 of the low ones.

edit: 79121 are the low ones...all this talk of ultra is confusing
Old 03-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Actually the 79120's are just standard roll center blocks, but the 79121's are low roll center blocks.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 429racer
Actually the 79120's are just standard roll center blocks, but the 79121's are low roll center blocks.
Correct.

There are only 2. I am not sure how the "Ultra Low" got associated with the part, it even says "Low Roll" on the package. Only because it is "Ultra Low" in relation to everything else I guess.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

I heard or read it somewhere about ultra low roll center. It almost makes sense as you have 3 roll center positions a high, medium and low roll center with the standard blocks unless you want them in finer incriments like a med.-high etc. etc.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey Jeff,

I have seen a few people using round stickers that cover up the works of their RDX diffs to keep the dirt and grit out. Seems to work very well.

How about your suggesting to Corally that they make a bigger LW Pulley Snapring (#79172) that would do the same thing? Would be great for outdoor.

Bill
Old 03-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

So what is the theory behind using the low roll centers on carpet with foams.
My understanding of what a lower roll center does it actually move the roll center lower then the CG giving it even more roll and thus even more traction. Right?

Is the lower roll centers maybe easier to get your ride height? thats the only other thing I can think of. Or maybe the 2nd position on the low roll centers is inbetween the 1 and 2 position on the regular roll centers?

Just trying to understand the theory on why these lower roll centers were needed and why just mainly for foam carpet, I mean foam has way more traction that rubber, so I would of though the opposite that people would want them for rubber(Carpet) for even more traction

Woody
Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i think part of the reason for them is because of the smaller diameter tires involved...

could be wrong tho... but thats my guess! i have heard some have been using the std blocks are working well too, maybe just a slightly different setup.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Woody, roll center is a function of roll stiffness. The lower the roll center, the lower the roll stiffness. This basically means that with a lower roll center, the car will have more roll, but the key is, it will roll slower and smoother. This is the main reason why it is used on carpet/foam because the car will stay more composed in the corner and carry more speed when the car isn't laterally jerked into the corner like a high roll center would produce. You do get more traction because of the increased magnitude of the roll, but it doesn't scrub speed because of the nature of the roll. If you have any more questions I can explain it in even deeper vehicle dynamics terms, but I think that covered it.

One other thing about roll centers: A high roll center will roll less, but quicker. This is understood. However, soon after the car reaches it's max roll point, it overloads the tire and creates less traction. You can test this by running a more angled (lower holes for camber link on tower) camber link versus a parallel one in the front. The angled link will turn-in harder, but will not have as much steering in the middle and exit of the corner. The parallel link is the opposite.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So I'm looking at some of the Nocak race setups and on the front arms lower shock mount is all the way to the outside, problem is my tires rub the shock perch and spring if I set my shocks this way, I have to run mine in the middle or inner hole, can I merely move the top shock mount in 1 or 2 to get the same "effect" (or close to it), or am I all messed up and have to shave the inside of my foams? ...does anyone else have this problem? Also I only have the standard extension chingaderas for the rear, so I would go up 1 spring from the setups right?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
So I'm looking at some of the Nocak race setups and on the front arms lower shock mount is all the way to the outside, problem is my tires rub the shock perch and spring if I set my shocks this way, I have to run mine in the middle or inner hole, can I merely move the top shock mount in 1 or 2 to get the same "effect" (or close to it), or am I all messed up and have to shave the inside of my foams? ...does anyone else have this problem? Also I only have the standard extension chingaderas for the rear, so I would go up 1 spring from the setups right?
Harsh,

Just reduce your EPA until your tires do not hit. Have you gotten the "Long" rear brackets yet? Do you have the black spring kit? If so, we can work on some stuff this weekend.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well, mine do rub if I have the steerign travel set to high. I just normally setup the car so I dont need to turn the wheels as much to get around the corner. This will generally result in more corner speed.

-Korey
Old 03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
Harsh,

Just reduce your EPA until your tires do not hit. Have you gotten the "Long" rear brackets yet? Do you have the black spring kit? If so, we can work on some stuff this weekend.
I don't have the "new extra long one" ...yea I got both spring kits (2 sets of, one for each car) ...reduce my EPA, then I won't be able to make 5" circles

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.