Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

When my tires get down to under 56mm (small, I know) I have a hell of a time getting my ride height to 4mm, no matter how much I crank down on the springs. Am I expecting too much life from my tires, or should I do something with my downstops? I've got about 2mm of uptravel when I'm at 4mm, but I really had to add a lot of preload to get to 4mm of ride height.

Do you guys even measure downstops, or is it all ride height and uptravel?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
When my tires get down to under 56mm (small, I know) I have a hell of a time getting my ride height to 4mm, no matter how much I crank down on the springs. Am I expecting too much life from my tires, or should I do something with my downstops? I've got about 2mm of uptravel when I'm at 4mm, but I really had to add a lot of preload to get to 4mm of ride height.

Do you guys even measure downstops, or is it all ride height and uptravel?
Don't know if you're running the carpet nats, but keep in mind minumim tire height is 55 mm *after* your run i.e. if you car is one of the ones get's teched after the run and your tires are smaller than 55 mm ...DQ
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

For me it's all ride height and up travel. As the tires wear it's the best way to have a consistent set-up. It's something repeatable.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Jeff and Brian do you guys use the 4mm chassis and 3.4mm Top Deck ? Also I know this has been asked. Where are the RDX X-Long Shock Extensions used and mounted ?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Don't know if you're running the carpet nats, but keep in mind minumim tire height is 55 mm *after* your run i.e. if you car is one of the ones get's teched after the run and your tires are smaller than 55 mm ...DQ
And less than 31mm wide...
Old 03-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default battery strap problem

I have this problem of my belt flipping alot lately. I finally figured out what is causing it, but can't figure a good way to fix it or why.

Apparently, (usually when I hit a pipe, doesn't have to be hard--- I know just don't hit anything and there won't be a problem!) my battery moves under the strap and pushes into my belt, cause it to flip and rub on the batteries.

Yes its worse on 3300's, but it does it with my 3800's as well.

Any idea why its doing this? I guess I put a piece of foam or something on top of the battery, but that seems kinda lame. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

Woody
Old 03-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Yeah, I was working on that the other day. I will put it into PDF today and post it on the website.

Jeff
Thank you very much for putting up your new setup in the Corally USA site. I just printed it out and I'll be trying it this weekend. Thanks again

Sonny
Old 03-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
I have this problem of my belt flipping alot lately. I finally figured out what is causing it, but can't figure a good way to fix it or why.

Apparently, (usually when I hit a pipe, doesn't have to be hard--- I know just don't hit anything and there won't be a problem!) my battery moves under the strap and pushes into my belt, cause it to flip and rub on the batteries.

Yes its worse on 3300's, but it does it with my 3800's as well.

Any idea why its doing this? I guess I put a piece of foam or something on top of the battery, but that seems kinda lame. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem ?

Woody
Have you filed the battery slots in the chassis making the batteries kinda loose even the the strap screwed right down ?? if so maybe taking alittle off the posts to lower the strap also would help ?? you'd need to be careful how much you take off though as if you strap the batteries in too tight you'll tweak the chassis
Old 03-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Merciless
Have you filed the battery slots in the chassis making the batteries kinda loose even the the strap screwed right down ?? if so maybe taking alittle off the posts to lower the strap also would help ?? you'd need to be careful how much you take off though as if you strap the batteries in too tight you'll tweak the chassis
HPI makes a self-addhesive foam cushon that works great for that problem. I'll see if I can find the part #.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Merciless
I thought about that too, but I didnt really sand them all that much, just to smooth them out and seal with CA. So I don't think that is it. Thanks for the thought though...

Woody
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Chris,

I run the 3.4 mm topdeck, but the stock 2.9 mm chassis. I like it.

Syndr0me,

Back your droop off further (1/2 a turn) and then try and get ride height...you should have no problem. From there reset your uptravel.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
Back your droop off further (1/2 a turn) and then try and get ride height...you should have no problem. From there reset your uptravel.
Okay, time for me to sound stupid (more stupid).

I have one of those fancy setup stations, and it's great for getting camber and toe right, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around the best way to do the whole droop/downstops/ride height thing.

I basically use Jeff Cuffs' setup from IIC, and set my downstops to 5 or 6 as measured from the rear part of the arm while it's up on blocks. From there, I generally mess with the preload only to make ride height adjustments. I lift the car from the center to make sure the wheels come off the ground at the same time. From there, my uptravel is usually just whatever I end up with after making all those adjustments. I get the feeling that's the wrong way to go about this.

So, if you guys are looking at a setup sheet that only lists ride height and downstop settings, how, with that information, would you go about setting up your car? What kind of checks do you perform and tools do you use to make sure things are as they should be? Mind detailing the process?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Lord

Also, let me make sure I've got this right:

Uptravel: The amount of chassis movement from the resting position to when the wheels come off the ground when the car is lifted from the center, like by a shock tower.

Downstops: How high the back of the arm is from the ride surface. Measured by putting the car on blocks and putting the "step" gauge at the back (trailing edge) of an arm.

Droop = Uptravel ?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

if, say the setup sheet lists a ride height, then +2, or "over ride height, what i do is this:

use 2 ride height guages, one on each side, put it to the total #, say 7.

using the droop screws, i adjust till the tires juuuust touch the setup board.

then you have the droop set as "ride height plus 1, 2, etc," whatever is listed.

seems like a lot of people use different methods of measuring and checking, but this would be a constant method, no matter what size tire, rubber/foam, etc....

probably should have typed that a little faster.....
Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC_Woody
I thought about that too, but I didnt really sand them all that much, just to smooth them out and seal with CA. So I don't think that is it. Thanks for the thought though...

Woody
just a thought on the belt flip... seems like after it flips once, it stretches one side of the belt a little, and its much easier to flip again. if yo sight down it, you may even be able to see it.

you might try getting a new belt, if that one flips repeatedly. in Vegas, mine would flip almost every time i touched a flapper, till i used a new one...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.