R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-24-2005, 07:11 PM   #586
Tech Adept

Default RDX Carpet Spec....worth the wait??

Hey Corally fans:

I need some help.
Is the carpet spec kit really worth the wait?

I'm thinking about picking up the ashphalt version with a ball diff. from my local shop. I'm just wondering between the two versions if I'll really see a huge difference on the rug. I'd definitely pickup hard arms and a silver spring set. But for example are the 4 degree casters (as opposed to the 2 degree) and the extra stiff chassis make it worth the wait, as well as the price differental?
From the set-up sheets is looks like the team is moving more towards the 2 degree casters. Don't know if it was the track condition or just more data being learned from the car.

Does anyone know if they were running the RDX with the thicker chassis at the Cleveland and Novak race?

And how much thicker is the carpet chassis? Is it both top and bottom deck or just the top deck?
How about the lowered hinge pins?

Many thanks!
Electro-MAX RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:17 PM   #587
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

thank you sir. i was pleased.

i am excited to head south this weekend to witness a small gathering of rdxes. i understand they roam in herds. i want to see the madness that is sweeping the nation. as ray mentioned, the forecast looks good for another rdx victory this sunday.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:18 PM   #588
Tech Master

The UK kit is basically what we ran in Cleveland. TJ used a preproduction 3.5mm Carpet spec chassis. Toso used a thick top deck. I didn't use either one, standard kit pieces.

Some called today and asked about the UK kit and the caster blocks. I found out after the conversation that the UK kit indeed does have 4 deg blocks. I thought it was 2 deg. So.... if you are able to get a hold of a UK kit then I would recommend it. Perhaps there will be some ultra chassis available to upgrade it down the road....
Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #589
Tech Adept

Thanks for the update on the casters that came in the UK kit.

Does that go for all the kits that came over (I think it was the first batch)?

Also what kinda chassis thicknesses was the team running at the Novak race the other weekend?

And any idea what weight springs will come in the carpet kit? I figure why wait on the carpet spec kit for the springs, when I'll probably pick up a silver spring kit anyway.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #590
Tech Adept

oh yeah one last thing to ask,
does the kit come with wheels/tires? (i was surprised to see the assassin i bought a few years ago came with some nice corally rubber)

wondering if corally is including rubber (UK spec) or foam (US spec) in their kits? if so what shore?

thanks again!
Old 01-24-2005, 07:39 PM   #591
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Both Tosolini and EA ran 3.9 mm chassis.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:52 PM   #592
Tech Master

Electro....... I think it has the corally rubber and wheels included still. If I had to guess what springs would be on the Carpet spec they would be 30lb springs. Spring set is better way to go.

Brian is right........ 3.9mm chassis prototypes were ran. Perhaps those will be available soon.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #593
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Brown
The UK kit is basically what we ran in Cleveland. TJ used a preproduction 3.5mm Carpet spec chassis. Toso used a thick top deck. I didn't use either one, standard kit pieces.

Some called today and asked about the UK kit and the caster blocks. I found out after the conversation that the UK kit indeed does have 4 deg blocks. I thought it was 2 deg. So.... if you are able to get a hold of a UK kit then I would recommend it. Perhaps there will be some ultra chassis available to upgrade it down the road....
That was me who called today. I was pretty sure it had 4 degree caster but I didn't want to argue with ya. Thanks for all the help, you were real cool to talk to.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #594
Tech Adept

here's a question i've got about the cvd, in particular the fronts, that come with the assassin, which i assume are the same for the RDX.

has there been any discussion at Corally or are there aftermarket cvd that are stronger than the aluminum ones?

i'm a decent driver, but on the rare occasion i break something in the front suspension i'll always bend a shaft which is starting to hurt my wallet -not to mention the annoying comments from the xray guys and their spring steel.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 PM   #595
Tech Adept

Hey DJG24-
So what's the verdict? Can you confirm what degree castor blocks the UK kit comes with?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:23 PM   #596
Tech Master

DJG24....... sorry for the confusion. I talked with Rob after I got off the phone. I understood it as the only difference was the diff with the UK version which I told you about. I apologize for that. I was already gonna change your order to include 2 deg blocks to give you the sets you wanted.

It is 4 deg blocks.

Electro....... bent dogbones are the only way to run.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #597
Tech Fanatic

UK version comes with 4 degrees as Jeff stated above. Looks like Carpet spec also comes with 4 degree. 2 degree comes in the standard kit. Thanks Jeff for the clarification. You and Rob are top notch guys!! I'm looking forward to running this car with all the great support you guys offer!!! You guys are the best!!

Last edited by DJG24; 01-24-2005 at 08:37 PM.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #598
Tech Adept

Where can I get a rdx carpet version, I wonna try something new for regionals
pimpjuice_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:10 PM   #599
Tech Master

Carpet Version is not available yet.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey jeff just sent the setup to robs email. just check with him tomorrow. Ill give u a ring tomorrow i have to order acouple things.