R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2006, 05:26 AM   #5476
Tech Adept

Kevin - I should have let you drive my car this weekend (or vise versa) to see if my car had the push you're talking about. It was actually very good until the main. I switched back to 2 stage double pinks and double pink/orgs in the main and it got very loose. I really think single stage were the way to go on the new layout. One thing I've learned is: with the corner speeds these guys carry, the tires make or break you.

I was keeping up alot better when they were all running FK'05s. Now with the T2's here, their corner speeds have gotten alot faster. Drew's really got that car dialed in. I think the RDX can be as fast, but there is something I need to get figured out first:

1) My diffs are driving me crazy. I can't get them to stay consistent. Maybe I just don't have the ball diffs figured out yet (truly an offroad guy here), but mine keep loosening up (like others mentioned above) to the point they are slipping. To keep this from happening, I have to tighten them up so much, the car pushes. This happens after 2-3 race days after a rebuild. Maybe the answer is - I need to rebuild them that often. But, it seems excessive.

If someone figures out the diff magic, please let us know. BTW - I did try replacing the cone washers as recommended earlier and I'm using brand new hardened diff screw. Right now, that is the only thing from making my RDX perfect. I love everything else about the car.

Greg
GMSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:32 AM   #5477
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Replace the plastic nut in the short diff half. If you have changed diff screws you need to change the nut.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 AM   #5478
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I run a spool up front, but haven't had any problems with the diff in the rear, other than the fact it needs rebuilt, lol. The problem I'm having right now is that my car pushes like a snow plow. I have 40 wieght in the front, 35 in the rear, 17lb springs all way around, 4.5 mm ride hieght, 2mm drrop, and there isn't any any kick-up, anti-squat etc, everything is flat. Shock positions are 2nd from the inside in the front and 3rd from the inside in the rear. i have 4degree caster blocks also. Any idea's? I have a few things I going to try that the local fast guy told me to try, but I'm willing to entertain other idea's as well. Thanks for any help.
MUDVAYNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #5479
Tech Adept

Hi guys managed to get that stupid screw out.

I do not know alot about spur gears and so if you could please look on www.microtechracing.com and look through spurs and please tell me which spurs will fit the RDX straight away with out doing any mod just put the screws in and its done.

Thanks,

Wills
Mission_carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #5480
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
I run a spool up front, but haven't had any problems with the diff in the rear, other than the fact it needs rebuilt, lol. The problem I'm having right now is that my car pushes like a snow plow. I have 40 wieght in the front, 35 in the rear, 17lb springs all way around, 4.5 mm ride hieght, 2mm drrop, and there isn't any any kick-up, anti-squat etc, everything is flat. Shock positions are 2nd from the inside in the front and 3rd from the inside in the rear. i have 4degree caster blocks also. Any idea's? I have a few things I going to try that the local fast guy told me to try, but I'm willing to entertain other idea's as well. Thanks for any help.
Well, pushing where? high speed entry? low speed?

I would try less caster and perhaps arm sweep if you need more high speed steering and initial. The less caster will help with low speed steering as well. Try raising the rear roll center up. I actually went to position 3 in the front, and 2 in the rear which raises it and adds a bit of anti-squat.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #5481
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Hi guys managed to get that stupid screw out.

I do not know alot about spur gears and so if you could please look on www.microtechracing.com and look through spurs and please tell me which spurs will fit the RDX straight away with out doing any mod just put the screws in and its done.

Thanks,

Wills
I know for a fact the Kimbrough gears will fit. I think the RW gears will but it has to be an 8 hole pattern on the gear.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #5482
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

64 pitch RWs work
Old 01-30-2006, 03:12 PM   #5483
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
I know for a fact the Kimbrough gears will fit. I think the RW gears will but it has to be an 8 hole pattern on the gear.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, Dad is putting in the order tommorrow

Wills
Mission_carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #5484
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rear Toe In

With the rear toe, I understand that you use the spacers behind the Adj. Blocks to adjust the toe. However on the rear, if I have one 1deg spacer on both aft blocks shouldnt the measurment be the same on both sides? I was reading 1deg in on the left and 2deg in on the right. Am I missing something else?

Also with the shocks. I am having a problem getting them to measure the same. I am using the TL shock matching tool and them seem to always be aboiut 1 deg off from each other. Is this "OK" or should I keep trying to get the exact?

Thanks

Sean
Fervidsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #5485
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats pretty darn close. I wouldnt worry about it. I just build them..... Usually they always come up to about the same amount of rebound for me anyways.

-Korey
Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM   #5486
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone have any pics of the motorguard / fanmount?
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 PM   #5487
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
Thats pretty darn close. I wouldnt worry about it. I just build them..... Usually they always come up to about the same amount of rebound for me anyways.

-Korey
Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing but wanted to be sure.

For the first part anyone have any ideas? For fill in information I am using the Hudy exclusive all in one set up board. It just seems strange that both sides are not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervidsea
With the rear toe, I understand that you use the spacers behind the Adj. Blocks to adjust the toe. However on the rear, if I have one 1deg spacer on both aft blocks shouldnt the measurment be the same on both sides? I was reading 1deg in on the left and 2deg in on the right. Am I missing something else?
Thanks again.
Fervidsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:11 PM   #5488
Tech Master

Old 01-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #5489
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

If this is true you may have a bent bulkhead and/or a bent rear hub. Check each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fervidsea
Thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing but wanted to be sure.

For the first part anyone have any ideas? For fill in information I am using the Hudy exclusive all in one set up board. It just seems strange that both sides are not equal.

Thanks again.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #5490
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone using a G11 PRO+ in their car have a good setting for stock and 19t on carpet for the speed control?
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote