R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2006, 07:01 PM   #5356
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Exactly. If you look at the Cleveland vs. Novak setup there were only 2 changes. So, I doubt there were slim to none on the changes.

Jeff
Thanks guys!
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #5357
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default question

Hi guys,

what it change on the set-up if you use the new SRC xtra long extension?? and how much further out that part put the shock out?? 1.5, 2 or 2.5mm...i take a look on my car and i see you can t do more than 2.5mm because the shock will hit the wheel.

now with the new low shock tower we can use both row of hole for the camber link...when we use a drillerdone we are only able to use the top row...now we can use both...but i see that the top row is higher with the new shock tower than with a drilled one? what it will change if i use the top row with the new one over the top row with a drilled one??

thanks

Pace
Pace72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #5358
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace72
Hi guys,

what it change on the set-up if you use the new SRC xtra long extension?? and how much further out that part put the shock out?? 1.5, 2 or 2.5mm...i take a look on my car and i see you can t do more than 2.5mm because the shock will hit the wheel.

now with the new low shock tower we can use both row of hole for the camber link...when we use a drillerdone we are only able to use the top row...now we can use both...but i see that the top row is higher with the new shock tower than with a drilled one? what it will change if i use the top row with the new one over the top row with a drilled one??

thanks

Pace
Well, it will keep the car more flat. But we have to run softer springs. It really is a balance. Subtle change for sure. Pretty much if the setup says 19lb on X-long, then run like 22lb or 24lb springs on the standard extensions.

The new tower is identical to a standard tower but lowered. The drilled tower is the old "upper" row but now lowered. So if you compare them you will get a slightly longer link that is still angled. This is caused because as you notice the upper and lower holes on the standard tower are offset.

Did you follow that? haha.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #5359
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Jeff Brown...The man with all the answers!! I hope Robbie is paying you very well!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #5360
Tech Adept

Default lol

i m lost!! lol

but if you use the upper row on the new one it s not the same angle than if you use the older drilled one upper row? so on jeff dayger set-up he use the outside hole upper row on the new low tower....but before this new tower he was using the outside hole on upper row with a driller one..so with the drilled one the upper row was lower than the low tower! was was the difference on the car we should see on the track?

did you follow me Jeff?? lol

Pace
Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM   #5361
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The xtra long extensions basiaclly move the shock out furthe ron the arm, thus giving the shock more leverage on the wheel. This basically makes the car stiffer. I had to go softer on the rear end to get the same general static feel, but the car felt more a little more free, slightly more consistant, and had less body roll. This is comparing to the normal rear extensions with 24 or 22lb springs.

The lower row on the new lowered shock tower is equivilent to the upper row on the drilled shock tower. I've been using the upper row on the new tower. This has been something Ithought the car needed from the very beginning. When you move the inner pivot of the upper link up it basically makes the car feel a tad stiffer. It will give you more initial turn in, but slightly less mid-exit steering. The car will corner flatter and more consistantly in high traction conditions. I have found that when we use the upper row on the drilled shock towers the car feels really dumpy and actually looses steering. Since I've started using the upper row on the new shock tower the car just feels better in general. Seems to have more steering everywhere.

Hope that helps some.

-Korey
Old 01-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #5362
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

dood.... I hate it when I'm typing an answer and jeff totally pwns me and answers before me hahaha.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #5363
Tech Adept

Default thanks Korey!

thanks Korey!! you beat Jeff Brown on the explanation!! you win that race! lol hahaha

now it s clear!!lol

but how much further the new SRC extension put the shock closer to the wheel?? if you compared to the stock one?

and what is the difference between the tamiay 3hole piston over the corally 1.3mm hole?

Pace
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #5364
Tech Master

Quote:
i m lost!! lol

but if you use the upper row on the new one it s not the same angle than if you use the older drilled one upper row? so on jeff dayger set-up he use the outside hole upper row on the new low tower....but before this new tower he was using the outside hole on upper row with a driller one..so with the drilled one the upper row was lower than the low tower! was was the difference on the car we should see on the track?

did you follow me Jeff?? lol

Pace
Who's on first?

Ok......

Tower 79239 - lowered 3mm the upper holes become the only row of holes usable. The upper holes are also offset in relation to the lower holes, hence you will get longer camber links with the drilled tower.

Tower 79238 - identical to the standard tower, but lowered ABOVE the camber link holes so everything remains the same. The drilled tower allows you to run the same angled link in the front, but a tick longer versus the new 79238 tower.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #5365
Tech Adept

Default more

i know the tamiya have 3 hole and the corally only 2...but what will it change on the track over the corally?

Pace
Old 01-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #5366
Tech Adept

wow guys!! both of you are really fast to answer my question!

thanks a lot for clearing my mind!

Pace
Old 01-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #5367
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks Korey!! you beat Jeff Brown on the explanation!! you win that race! lol hahaha

now it s clear!!lol

but how much further the new SRC extension put the shock closer to the wheel?? if you compared to the stock one?

and what is the difference between the tamiay 3hole piston over the corally 1.3mm hole?

Pace
I didn't read your entire post otherwise I would have commented on the setup feelings. haha.

BTW...... using the X-long extensions you MUST use a ball stud, with a camber link ball cup. Also you have to be sure to shave off any extra foam on the inside of the wheel.

Well, I am not sure of the diameter of the holes on Tamiya pistons but it seems to work to be an overall smaller surface area. You could take the 0.9mm pistons and drill them to a No. 56 if you would like as well. The 1.3mm pistons are about a No. 54. Smaller hole..... more pack.

Jeff
Old 01-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #5368
Tech Adept

thanks Jeff for all the answer!

Pace
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 PM   #5369
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Jeff Brown...The man with all the answers!! I hope Robbie is paying you very well!!

EA
Can you be a reference?

Jeff
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 PM   #5370
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Sure but not sure where I stand as far as credibility with most!! LOL

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote