R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #4306
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

The ones included in the aluminum knuckles are open (unshielded) bearings, if I recall correctly. Those look to be exact replacements for the stock ones. Looks like a pipeline is on the way.

Then again, if we need to buy these things like diff balls, there may be a problem with the design of this part.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #4307
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Oh, I also found that a Radio Shack mini/micro R/C car uses bushings in this odd metric size for their wheels. I have not been able to track them down by themselves yet, though.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:40 PM   #4308
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Woody
Dude that RCMart was like he said basically 1 a pop... that aint bad. I mean some of us pay a 1.00 a pop for a little diff ball.

I know, but I'm not a big fan of buying stuff from oversea.

Dom
Old 11-16-2005, 11:01 PM   #4309
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

They are currently working on trying to get a better material for the steering knuckle bushings. Hopefully a little while after Cleveland there should be something worked out.

TLR, Fantom, Horizon, Spektrum, Trackside
Brian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #4310
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby J
the RDX right out of the box kicks the shit out of the X-ray...how much money in hop ups do you need to get it to look like hodapps car? the cars break on a even scale with the caliber of drivers who drive it, get on your own thread no bad talk her sir.....
Zero hop-ups on the car. Qualified 11th at reedy, 5th or something like that at ko race, and qualified 4th in stock and 9th in 19turn in vegas. Xray is better out of the box. Even beat Barry Baker and Matt Francis with my box stock car.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 AM   #4311
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Put the plastic knuckles on, they are cheaper and easier to get. The aluminum knuckles just help break things. I stopped beaking stuff as soon as I replaced them with the plastic ones.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #4312
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to MRX_joe21

This is what you can learn (it does apply to 1/10 electric onroad car):

Physical Forces and Setup - Theory and Practice_by James Hughes

"Steering Geometry
The steering geometry can be regarded at the movement and displacement of the front wheels as the steering wheel is turned. This movement is quite complex, and involves a number of different settings. There is one thing in common though, and that is the reason why we need a complicated geometry - We MUST lift the inside wheel while cornering.
The inside wheel lift is what enables a kart to go round a corner without using a differential.
Because of this lack of a differential, a karts natural direction of travel, forwards, is very difficult to change. This is down to the differing radii of turn experienced by the inner and outer rear wheels while turning a corner. The inside wheel is actually travelling a shorter distance than the outside, so therefor is needs to take fewer revolutions to go round the corner. However, the two rear wheels are attached by a solid axle, and must therefor move together, so in order to turn, one of the wheels need to skid over the track surface. In a car, the differential will allow the wheels to turn at different rates, without this skidding action.
This skidding action, or indeed the lack of it, is what make a stationary kart so difficult to turn round - you have to overcome the grip of one of the tyres, and with the sticky tyres used in many kart classes this can expend a lot of energy.
This is the reason for lifting the inside wheel and it effectively turns the kart into a tricycle during the cornering process! The steering geometry causes the inner rear wheel to lift off the ground while cornering, which means the wheel can rotate faster than it is passing over the ground. The rear inner wheel is no longer touching the track, and we therefor no longer need to overcome the grip from that tyre in order to turn.
In fact, depending on the power of the engine, we may be able to allow some scrub. For example, while a Prokart may need to entirely lift the inner wheel, because it does not have enough power to overcome the scrub, a more powerful kart may have power to spare in the corner, meaning that the power loss to scrub can be overcome. However, any scrub will start to cause understeer when entering a corner, so even though the engine may be powerful, it may still be necessary to completely lift the inner rear to maintain decent handling."
MRX_joe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 AM   #4313
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Juan,

Correct if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Xray comes with that spool/one-way thing which means you needed to buy a diff to run on carpet and I would imagine you didnt' run the stock springs at Vegas.

Not sure what you consider hopups but here is what I was able to do with an RDX outta da box. I guess a spool and springs is a hop-up.

Qualified 2nd at Reedy Race 19t finished 3rd. Snowbirds 19t Qualified 3rd and finished 3rd. Qualified 4th at Outdoor Nats in stock finished 3rd. Numerous B mains on Carpet at Carpet Nats, Snowbirds, and Vegas.

SAME car for all of these.

Last edited by barnacle; 11-17-2005 at 01:44 AM.
barnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #4314
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

YEAH MIKE!! tell em whats up!!

Juan quit the car bashing and beat it!! Most arent even talking and comparing about other cars on here!!

You beat the factory guys?? all i can say is...........SO!
They prolly broke!!

BTW.. your results arent as good as Barnacle's running a box stock car!! His results are more impressive..

RCFREAK
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #4315
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK
YEAH MIKE!! tell em whats up!!

Juan quit the car bashing and beat it!! Most arent even talking and comparing about other cars on here!!

They prolly broke!!

BTW.. your results arent as good as Barnacle's running a box stock car!! His results are more impressive..

RCFREAK
Freak,

Juan even beat Matt in 19T a few days after Matt F won the asphalt champs last month. No breakage involved Juan is FOR REAL. Best driving talent I have seen after the ICC racing at Vegas where he did pretty well.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #4316
Tech Master

[QUOTE=RCFREAK]YEAH MIKE!! tell em whats up!!

They prolly broke!!

I like to mess around online with my local rdx boy's. But, to rcfreak It was at speedworldraceway where I beat Barry in triple a mains. He didn't brake. And Francis didn't brake either. Someone on your tread said I didn't run a box stock car. Your right I changed the front springs in vegas. But everywhere other race was box stock. Enough about the xray. If corally didn't have such a good car, then it wouldn't be fun to joke around with my friends who drive them.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #4317
Tech Elite

Which also means that Juan is probably talented enough to win driving just about any car. Him coming in here to bash other brands (especially Corally) dilutes his credibility in general and makes him look bad. There's no need for that sort of thing, especially when it just looks like he's trolling for an internet fight.

[edit] ...and if Juan is even joking around with his online buddies, it doesn't look that way to the remaining 99% of people who read these forums regularly. Still NOT cool.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #4318
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thats good for Juan.... (justifying what??)

RDX vs. FKo5 on this thread is getting old.... just run what you brung ..

im out for now.....

RCFREAK
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #4319
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK
thats good for Juan.... (justifying what??)

RDX vs. FKo5 on this thread is getting old.... just run what you brung ..

im out for now.....

RCFREAK

Some of you guys are to serious about toy cars.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM   #4320
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sorry, but this isn't a toy. A Radio Shack mini racer is a toy.

Dom