R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #4261
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RCFREAK-
Are you running a "lowered" front shock tower? If so, drill new holes up top for the camber links so the link will sit more parallel.

Also try to run some anti-dive up front. I ran ultra lows up front and stock roll center mounts in the back of the front arm at the snowbirds last year.

Old 11-14-2005, 07:45 PM   #4262
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Where do you need steering? Off power, on power? Entry, mid or exit?

-Korey
Old 11-14-2005, 08:37 PM   #4263
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to rbboy Send a message via Yahoo to rbboy

hey guys! hope anyone can help out... im doing my orders from Team Corally and would need some information about the RDX... what parts are breakable with the car that i would need to get hold of, also there are different types of wishbones, servo saver etc... the local track we have back here in the Philippines has a low-bite traction & quite bumpy... will the Kimbrough, Star Force fit the Gear Adaptor that the RDX have? many thanks hope to hear a reply from you guys soon..

Carlo D.
XTREME RC Hobbies
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #4264
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
Quality of the xray is better. Stick with the car that keeps tqing out here in stockton and everywhere else in the country. The rdx brakes all the time. Compare diffs and you'll see that xray diffs are the best. The xray car is less exspensive and is much more durable.
Juan you are going down.
gotyournumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #4265
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK
quick question.. are most RDX driver running what class??

Novice Stock
stock
19turn
mod

i would like to see a ROLL CALL?? we currently run 19turn, i tell ya what it is a pretty competitive, very fast class!!!
Mod on carpet
subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #4266
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Barnacle... im running lowered shock tower but no one mentioned yet about drilling new holes.. i will now try it...
Basically i am looking for a lot more steering.

rcfreak
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:28 PM   #4267
Tech Master

Quote:
ok ok ... i thought most of you guys run stock.. since i received the car i never ran stock class. im pretty sure it really performs in stock!!
do you guys have enough steering in the car?? i find that on medium bite unless we have bigger race venues which we run 19turn. i still keep trying to find more turn in and steering throughout the turns.... motor wise.. when roll out is right the car has the same amount of speed.. but i can never find enough corner speed in the car.... pushes entering corner up to middle and decent exit steering... basically not enough steering. off throttle also!! i have to drive the car strapped to keep up with cars that carry more corner speed.

most aggressive ackerman
4 degree caster
front shocks in 1 hole
rears out
links short
regular roll center .. rear
ultra low ... front
30lbs in front
28lbs in rear
short wheelbase front and back
60 wt
40 wt

rcfreak
Ok..... few things I noticed about your setup, and a few things you don't let us know.

1) Is this foam or rubber?

2) most aggressive ackerman position, so you have a longer link? Great. Yet the ackerman setting you describe takes away the most amount of steering through the middle and exit of the turn (if the setting is different please correct me)

3) Your front shocks are in only one hole. That makes the shocks pretty vertical which will give you some sensitivity around center, but through the corner it will stiffen and push.

4) I've gone back and forth on this but shocks farther out on the rear will give more stability and plant the rear more through a corner. Others I have spoke with have recommended leaning them in compared to the front for more steering. I know, its odd, which even I debate. It's worth a shot though.

5) short links are great for transition but they take away traction. Longer links will add forward traction and keep the car flat through corners.

Questions I have......

What Droop (up travel) are you running)? Do you superglue tires? What ride height are you using? How much rear toe in? Any toe out in the front? What pistons?

I am not trying to say anything bad against you, just wanting a bit more setup info to help you with your ride. Let me know.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 09:32 PM   #4268
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

yeah what he said.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #4269
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

sorry jeff. forgot to add the rest...

Foam tires
yeah longer ackerman links
i guess ill lay the shocks down a lot more
no superglue needed on our track.. medium bite carpet
ride height 5mm.. droop 1.5mm
standard piston
60 & 40 wt.
1 degree of rear toe
0 toe in front

thanks for the advise !!

gonna really try laying shocks down and changing camber link positions..also either go back to standard ackermanl or medium ackerman..
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #4270
Tech Master

Quote:
sorry jeff. forgot to add the rest...

Foam tires
yeah longer ackerman links
i guess ill lay the shocks down a lot more
no superglue needed on our track.. medium bite carpet
ride height 5mm.. droop 1.5mm
standard piston
60 & 40 wt.
1 degree of rear toe
0 toe in front

thanks for the advise !!

gonna really try laying shocks down and changing camber link positions..also either go back to standard ackermanl or medium ackerman..
Yeah, those sound like good places to start. I think a lot of people get confused with "initial reaction" versus initial steering and throughout the corner. I even do it.

I would remove some droop. Try 1mm front and rear.

Standard pistons. Well, depends how old your kit is. Lately the standard pistons are 1.3mm which are quite large. You might try different oil if they are the 1.3mm pistons. Perhaps 10wt thicker front and rear.

You can thicken just the rear oil as well. Thick oil in the front acts like too stiff of front spring or too vertical of a shock angle. I dropped 10 wt on asphalt a while back and i was amazed. I even dropped 10wt more and thought WOW, what have i been missing. The lighter oil transitioned faster and carved better through the middle and exit of the turn. Double bonus.

If you want to gain back some sensitivity around center then add 1/2 to 1 deg of toe out. This will regain the touchiness you probably like. Also, drop the front ride heigh 1/2mm lower than the rear.

Hope this helps. If not call me at CorallyUSA.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Brown; 11-14-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Jeff Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #4271
Tech Master

Oh.... and to answer the Roll Call.......... Mod Foam and Rubber 99% of the time. Ran some 19T lately but it was pretty slow feeling.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 PM   #4272
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Jeff

is 3mm the correct ##for lowering the shock tower?????

thanks
MAtt

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #4273
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi
Jeff

is 3mm the correct ##for lowering the shock tower?????

thanks
MAtt
Pretty much. The upper camber links pretty much become the "lower holes" and the links can stay pretty flat. Be sure to drill small pilot holes from the back side of all the countersunk holes. Do not countersink the new holes. Simpley use Round Head screws with the tower backwards which will help keep the tower stable.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:09 PM   #4274
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

cool...

i will give you a buzz in the am....

Matt

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:13 PM   #4275
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi
cool...

i will give you a buzz in the am....

Matt
I like the "Mr. Losi" nick to go with the RDX setup help.

Jeff