R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #3841
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Go look on the website, it's posted.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #3842
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

I think Mike was referring to the Stock Rubber winning setup. It's still not there.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #3843
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet
any hopes for the iic setup jeff?
I'm holding it for ransom.......
Old 10-21-2005, 02:21 PM   #3844
Tech Master

It's now available......

Jeff
Old 10-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #3845
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Andrew_Carter

What am i doing wrong!?

My carpet rubber setup is soooooo much harder than everyone elses! I race 19t indoors on sorex 24rs (control tyre) and im running 33lb springs up front and 24lb on the rear! 60/40 weight oil (with 1.3mm tamiya pistons and shock shafts) and 1.3mm roll bars all round! The car feels good but surley i dont need to be running these kind or spring rates with rubber tyres!!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:45 PM   #3846
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Try running softer springs (22/17) and see if your laptimes drop...
USVTA Member #211

Old 10-21-2005, 03:52 PM   #3847
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Andrew, as far as I'm concerned, the setups out there are starting points. I am running a setup as firm as yours (70/50 with 24/19 springs and 1.9 F swaybar), and wanting to go firmer on the springs. Stiff cars have less traction and that's usually faster if you can drive it. Most people are complaining of too much traction on carpet anyway.

My car is fast, comfortable, and easy to drive for me. My setups are determined by lap times, and then feel. I don't regard what everyone else does unless I am looking for a place to begin. I'll always work away from other people's baselines to suit my own wants.

Lap times are king. Nothing else matters.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:53 PM   #3848
Tech Regular

Yer im going to give it a try sunday i recon Brian,see how i get on.A freind of mine has also got his going very well,hes on 17lb and 14lb springs.And on a slighty lighter oil i fink.I dont like loads of steering tho.I tend to drive on full lock (if that make sense)

Just looking at Jasons IIC setup on the corally site,does anybody no what LB springs those HPI sprinsg are? HPI Reds and Pinks? Brian?

Cheers mate
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM   #3849
Tech Regular

Sorry apex,your post apperd after id posted!

My car does feel good for me,I dont like copying team drivers set ups to be really honest.I prefer to do it myself,part of the hobby.

It fink its just easy to drive,and i feel comftable enough to push it.But easy to drive isnt nessercally (or how ever you spell it) fast enough! Maybe somthing which is abit more on the edge when i push it may be faster

I was just wondering if i was the only one running such silly springs! I mean some of the foam guys dont use 34/24lb springs! We only use Rubber tyres over here in the uk!

Cheers
Old 10-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #3850
Tech Elite

Doug, you're also running on extremely high-grip carpet. IRP has by far the most grip at a club level that I've ever run on or heard of.

Andrew, the car may feel good, but your car may be beyond the point where stiffer springs = more corner speed. Sometimes a car can be too stiff and can just be slower. I personally an running 33/24 also on my car but that's for foam tires on carpet.
USVTA Member #211

Old 10-21-2005, 04:10 PM   #3851
Tech Elite

I ran this setup at Trackside, too, with JTG sauce the only, where the traction isn't as high as a Paragon track. Driver aside, the car was still very fast and easy to drive, almost lumbering.

Sometimes a car can be too stiff and can just be slower.

Unless your car is bouncing off the ground, that's really not true with a race car. I'd like to see an example of how and why you might say this.

From real race cars, springs absorb bumps in the track. The smoother the track, the stiffer springs you can run. The firmer the setup the less traction to the tires. I'll keep going firmer on this setup until the traction isn't drivable or the laptimes go down. If there are no bumps in the track to worry about, get the car as stiff as drivable. Too much traction when you don't need it just scrubs off speed and momentum.

Loose is fast. No matter what surface you are talking about; dirt, carpet, asphalt... its all the same.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #3852
Tech Regular

Yea i can see what your saying.My club has just purchased Brand new CRC Otzie carpet and it is very very gripy! only about 4/5 meetings old,but still i fink i have got my car to hard.

Do you ever tend to run rubber tyres on carpet Bri? if so what castor blocks? ,i ran 2 for a while and have just gone back to 4.I found the 2 degrees gave me abit more steering mid corner,which i am lacking a tad bit of! But the 4's allowed me to run not as hard springs up front as they give less steering.But i tend to lack abit of mid corner.I tried a masda 6 body tonight,just to try and get abit more mid corner,but it toatlly upset the rera of the car comapred to my sratus 3.

Cheers
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #3853
Tech Elite

Doug, sometimes a car that's too stiff won't give the car enough grip to get around the track the fastest and/or put all the power down effectively. I know intuitively it doesn't make that much sense that a very stiff car would be slower, but just from my experience, sometimes this is the case. If a stiff car is always faster, why don't we run 42/39 springs on our cars for foam? Ponder that. I'm not trying to argue with you , I'm just explaining my reasoning.

I do run rubber/carpet once in a while and 4 degree caster blocks are usually the way to go. They should actually provide you with more mid-corner steering than the 2's. I liked running the 4 degree blocks with ~1.6 degrees of anti-dive (ultra low block in very front, regular low in rear of front). The car stayed flatter going into the turn and carried more speed.
USVTA Member #211

Old 10-21-2005, 04:37 PM   #3854
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McGreevy
I liked running the 4 degree blocks with ~1.6 degrees of anti-dive (ultra low block in very front, regular low in rear of front). The car stayed flatter going into the turn and carried more speed.
Nmmm I keep that in mind Bri,Thanks alot for your help dude!

Cheers
Old 10-21-2005, 05:14 PM   #3855
Tech Regular

my setup for rubber is pretty stiff!!! i run a 30LBS in the Front and a 26 LBS in the back!!! its pretty stiff for rubber but i run the car whit softer spring and the car feel sluggish to my hand!! so i a setup that a guys from my club was running in stock rubber and it was 30/26 and the car feels fast it feels the car react quiker and i think i gain some corner speed! also i was running the stiff setup whit some pretty soft tires (RP24)!!!!

last week i race a guys who has the Rob Micheals Setup! he was runnig 22/19 for the spring!! and he was fast too!! so im litle bit confused on that!!! i think you have to find a setup for your self!!!
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote