R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #3781
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Agreed-the diff tightens up with less tension on the bolt-whihc is a good thng. It doesnt feel like loose-then fully tight with a 1/32 of a turn. if you run rubber tires-you might be able to get away with 4 washers, but on foams where we lock that sucka up HARD-6 washers is a must.
I run on carpet with foams exclusively and never once needed anything more out of my diffs and I never come close to locking the diff down. If that's what you are looking for, I would figure you'd choose to run a front spool rather than a diff?

I have never experience the problem you are talking about about being extremely loose and then after 1/32 or a turn the diffs feels locked.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #3782
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
If you feel that you have no range of adjustment, maybe you compressed the washers too much from the get go. If they get compressed to much, they can loose there "spring effect" meaning that 1/32 either locks it or slips it.

I have never had any problem using the 4 washers, the biggest thing is to make sure you don't over tighten when building. I think the problem is that so many people convert from other cars that have the "lock it down, back it off a 1/4 turn approach". The minute you lock down the diff screw, it's done pretty much. Tighten little by little until you cant slip it, then if you prefer it tighter, use fine step adjustments.

I don't see why you have to run 6 unless your not building properly, but to each his own.
AGREE 100%
Old 10-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #3783
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
I run on carpet with foams exclusively and never once needed anything more out of my diffs and I never come close to locking the diff down. If that's what you are looking for, I would figure you'd choose to run a front spool rather than a diff?
My diffs counter rotate freely-they feel loose to most people-but you cannot make them slip by holding the spur and one wheel and trying to rotate the other wheel.

Its not a big deal-if you want to run 4 washers-by all means go ahead. 6-was better for me for the same reason Sushi said and what I said. Diff locks up sooner and getting it a little tighter and then a little tighter and then even more tight or a little looser was easier with 6 washers.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:48 AM   #3784
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Yea I have no idea, I built my cars with the 4 washers & with the stock stuff per the manual, I haven't even put either of the cars on a track yet (that will happen torrow - sunday at the region 12 carpet champs) ...I am orderng all the stuff that thread was talking about to see the diff between the "kit built diffs" and the "hot ticket diffs".

I just built my diffs per the manual as well and never had 1 single issue. Mine are not totally stock though. I purchased the 1-piece pulleys, ceramic thrust bearings, ceramic diff bearings and ceramic diffs balls and man the are supper smooth and last forever between rebuilds.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #3785
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I never had any problems with just 4 washers, I just put in 6 because I had a few extras. I normally run my diffs so they feel loose, but dont slip. Generally I'll use tamiya anti wear grease in the thrusts and IRS or associated stealth grease on the main diff balls. I also like the corally diff lube alot.

-Korey
Old 10-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #3786
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Boy
I never had any problems with just 4 washers, I just put in 6 because I had a few extras. I normally run my diffs so they feel loose, but dont slip. Generally I'll use tamiya anti wear grease in the thrusts and IRS or associated stealth grease on the main diff balls. I also like the corally diff lube alot.

-Korey
YO DUDE, remeber last night I was telling you about the high point and low point on the diff? So I took the thrust bearing and it was bone dry and probably without lube and it wasn't seating right. So slammed some Corally goop on there, now it's smooth.

I might try some teflon high spin stuff we use on engine thrust bearing.

Dom
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #3787
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Well, I can tell you first hand that they work t ofix the breakage problem, HOWEVER, the tiny kingpin bearings (3 x 6 x 2)
...so where do you get spares of those tiny bearrings? I couldn't find a corally part number for them and cant' find inidivsual bearrings that size.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #3788
Tech Elite

Quote:
...so where do you get spares of those tiny bearrings? I couldn't find a corally part number for them and cant' find inidivsual bearrings that size.
Here you go buddy!
http://www.corallyusa.com/istar.asp?...2Easp%3Fa%3D29

Dom
Old 10-19-2005, 12:34 PM   #3789
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i did actually get some others when i was out of the Corally ones... i think they were Duratrax, if i remember right. they were even teflon sealed...

Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:36 PM   #3790
Tech Elite

Oh hey btw Corally owners, I'm still looking for 2 busted shock towers (1 side busted)... Let me know if any of you got them laying around.

Thanks
Dom
Old 10-19-2005, 12:56 PM   #3791
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
There were also a few places I have found that had them 10 for $10, like rcmart.com. Plenty of places to find the bearings. Also, it looks like HPI has an aluminum spacer/bushing for one of their kits that is 3x6x2 and should work perfectly to replace the bearings if needed.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #3792
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed-dom
YO DUDE, remeber last night I was telling you about the high point and low point on the diff? So I took the thrust bearing and it was bone dry and probably without lube and it wasn't seating right. So slammed some Corally goop on there, now it's smooth.

I might try some teflon high spin stuff we use on engine thrust bearing.

Dom
Dork!!! They never work that way . Thats cool, I really want to try the MMR greases, I have a few differnet kinds just sitting in my box.

-Korey
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #3793
Tech Elite

Quote:
Dork!!! They never work that way . Thats cool, I really want to try the MMR greases, I have a few differnet kinds just sitting in my box.

-Korey
Yeah, and those snap rings are so small, my snap ring pliers didn't work.... so I pulled a Korey. I didn't do it to lexan scissors though, I grind down a pair of needle nose!!!

Dom
Old 10-19-2005, 03:17 PM   #3794
Tech Champion

Hahaha heavy duty I broke my lexan scissors trying to pull one out. I have the technique down to pull then out with out them though.

-Korey
Old 10-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #3795
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Hahaha heavy duty I broke my lexan scissors trying to pull one out. I have the technique down to pull then out with out them though.

-Korey
I filed down some snap ring pliers and that's working well for me, but I'm curious what your technique is?
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote