R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #3721
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecutter
does anybody know how to lower the front shock tower on the rdx for carpet racing ? do you just drill another hole above stock hole then cut off lower ear ? if anyone knows please pm back

thanks ,tim
you are correct, drill a hole about 3mm on center above the exsisting hole. you will also have to shave off 3mm of material off the bottom of the shock tower to get it to fit properly.
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #3722
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Oh-DOug-very important for front end breakage-how many shms are you running in front on the inner hingepins to space out arms? I built my first RDX wrong (NO inner shims and wide hexes) and broke rms, bent CVD's, ripped apart steering knuckles. IT was the CVD bottoming out into the diff that was breaking everything.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:12 AM   #3723
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Oh-DOug-very important for front end breakage-how many shms are you running in front on the inner hingepins to space out arms? I built my first RDX wrong (NO inner shims and wide hexes) and broke rms, bent CVD's, ripped apart steering knuckles. IT was the CVD bottoming out into the diff that was breaking everything.
My build is box stock, built to the instructions and Rob Michael's rubber tire setup form the Corally website. The stock UK hexes are the wide ones, and i believe the shims on the inside of the hinge pin blocks are 1mm shims on each side. I hadn't seen anything anywhere that warned about that one way or the other.

I gotta say, this is driving me insane. Two weekends and a big box of broken parts, all from the right front corner, all from the same type of impact (end of straight, entering a sweeper). I'm surprised, to say the least. There has to be a simple solution that I am overlooking.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:14 AM   #3724
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
I don't know what your talking about. With a car like that it's next to impossible to hit something. It's sooooo easy to drive.

Jim
Hermann-YGPM
Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #3725
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
I don't know what your talking about. With a car like that it's next to impossible to hit something. It's sooooo easy to drive.

Jim
Thats why i feel so dumb when i crash out of a race! haha

Its cool that you are running the car Jim.

tj
TJ Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #3726
Tech Fanatic

JH... Welcome!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #3727
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Andrew_Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Well, I can tell you first hand that they work t ofix the breakage problem, HOWEVER, the tiny kingpin bearings (3 x 6 x 2) and the plastic A-arms now take all of the force in ANY diagonal impact on the front end. I bought them yesterday at the track after going through two plastic knuckles in 2 consecutive practice sessions. At $9 a pair, I had already spent more than I wanted on parts that shouldn't break that easily.

So instead of pulling the steering knuckle out of the lower kingpin in the main last night when I clipped a board, I snapped a 50% A-arm in half. Pick your poison. I have a graveyard of broken front end parts in a box in my shop from 2 weeks of racing. Five steering knuckles, four A-arms and three bent aluminum CVDs. In 23+ years of racing RC cars, I have never experienced parts destruction like this.

I'm coming to the conclusion that while this car is a spectacular piece of craftsmanship and engineering, if you are a driver that hits ANYTHING, ever, it might not be the best choice. I am not a hack, either, but would consider myself a B-mainer at local races. I can turn laps consistenly within 80-90% of the TQ usually, even rusty and out of practice.

I will be changing to the Rubberneck bumper WITH the Kydex sub-bumper for the next race, though I don't think that the impacts that I have broken things with would have been different with a stiffer front bumper. All of my breakage comes when the wheels are turned into the corner, and the front of the tire catches an apex.

OMG!

You are breaking serious ammounts of parts dude! Ive had my car just under a month now,i race indoor on rubbers,19t mainly, and all that ive broke is a thrust race in the front diff! I have got alu front nuckles tho.So far havent had any problems with them breaking other parts,i run 75% A arms to!

Maybe you should calm the driving down abit! The Corally is a very strong car,you shouldnt be breaking this amount of parts! Atless your binning it lap after lap! Ive had a few big offs,and its held up very well tbh!

Maybe your just unlucky!

Carter!
Old 10-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #3728
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

CALLING ALL RDX GUYS !!!!

I NEED HELP

LOL i cant seem to solve the problem of my car traction rolling... i am running stock rubber tire and i am using rob michaels novak race setup only thing i am not using that his setup calls for are the 1.3mm pistons .

IS THAT WHAT IS MAKING MY CAR TRACTION ROLL ?

my radio is fine by the way dual rate is low
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 PM   #3729
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet

I NEED HELP

LOL i cant seem to solve the problem of my car traction rolling... i am running stock rubber tire and i am using rob michaels novak race setup only thing i am not using that his setup calls for are the 1.3mm pistons .

Raise your roll center a bit. That is usually the easy solution!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #3730
Tech Regular

Wot lb springs you on? Tyres?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:38 PM   #3731
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Carter
Maybe you should calm the driving down abit! The Corally is a very strong car,you shouldnt be breaking this amount of parts! Atless your binning it lap after lap!

Well, I have been racing R/C since 1983, and while I don't consider myself a top-level driver by any means, I am not a hack. I have owned more than 150 R/C cars of various brands over the years, and I have never experienced anything like this.

Now, after getting a few tips about the potential causes of the breakage (remember, all of the broken parts happened in the EXACT same type of impact), I went home at lunch to look at some of the broken parts I had saved. Every broken knuckle had the kingpin holes broken out. Without closely inspecting them before, I assumed that the impact just broke the part randomly. All knuckles have the pin punched through in the exact same direction. It is obvious that the pin is being broken out from the INSIDE of the knuckle, as opposed to an external impact breaking the knuckle from the outside. Looking at the position of the knuckle, it is obvious that the pin is being driven out of the knuckle by the CVD bone.

With Ray's note about the diff impacting the CVDs, it all fits. On impact, the CVD is crashing into the diff drive cup and not only bending the CVD, but driving the rest of it out through the weakest link in the suspension, which is the plastic knuckle (or the a-arm if you have aluminum knuckles).

My front suspension is set up with 1 single mm shim under each lower A-arm hingepin roll block. I think Ray is exactly 100% spot-on with his suggestion to add another shim in there to make the distance the CVD has to go before it hits the diff wider on both sides. I think wheel track can remain if I also go to the narrow hexes up front, but I think I will try it a tick wider just to see if some of the aggressive steering that this car has can be tamed a bit.

Thanks for the notes from everyone who offered ideas,

doug
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #3732
Tech Regular

I have a 1 mm shim and a .5mm shim in between the bulkheads and the carriers.

Perhaps worth putting 2mm spacer ther doug,like somone earlier suggested. Hope you get it sorted! This car is awesome!

Carter!
Old 10-17-2005, 02:14 PM   #3733
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default RDX SHOCKS

Does anybody on the Corally RDX forum also own a FT TC4 or a TC4????????

If so do you think the RDX shocks will fit on a FT TC4.

Thanks,
E
RED-LINE M03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #3734
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Ahh-good observations!! Yup-when the CVD bottoms in a big hit-its always bye-bye CVD and bye bye bottom of knuckle. I run 2mm spacers and narrow hexes, but I might play with a 1.5mm or a little less as someon else stated and the wide hexes. As long as my car stays under 190mm with foams-I am sort of happy-though I prefer the widening of the inner hingepin mounts with the narrow hexes. Car seems to have more steering. I'll find steering another way.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #3735
Tech Fanatic

Superglue the front tires on the verticle part of the sidewalls. Call me a foam tire guy, but it works....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet

I NEED HELP