R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 PM   #3706
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Jim Herrmann just laid down TQ and win at the Gate with his brand new RDX against a tough crowd of top stock drivers. What a fun day!! The Halloween Classic is gonn a get interesting!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #3707
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Diff Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
I found some Grade 12.9.........

I talked with Rob. I don't believe the solution is as far off as we think. At least I hope not.

Even though after running the car for a year I have NEVER broken one. I'm just weird though I guess.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, this was a post on 8/17 regarding the diff screw. Any word from Corally Holland? Reason why I'm bringing this up is because I snapped one yesterday in a race, want to find out if there is a solution yet.

Dom
Old 10-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #3708
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Jim Herrmann just laid down TQ and win at the Gate with his brand new RDX against a tough crowd of top stock drivers. What a fun day!! The Halloween Classic is gonn a get interesting!!

Ray
Herrmann got rid of the Tc3? Im am shocked

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #3709
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ray just had to let the cat out of the bag, didn''t he. Yes I traded in the TC3. I think it was a good move, I have to admit.

Jim
Old 10-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #3710
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Great car....best advice I can give...Dont hit anything!! Or you'll think your driving the Tricycle3 again

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:08 PM   #3711
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know what your talking about. With a car like that it's next to impossible to hit something. It's sooooo easy to drive.

Jim
Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 PM   #3712
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Herrmann
I don't know what your talking about. With a car like that it's next to impossible to hit something. It's sooooo easy to drive.

Jim
nice psot hehe!! like it
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #3713
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What do I need to purchase

Im getting ready to purchase a RDX with front/rear diffs. What other parts should I get along with the kit ?? ( spares, front one-way, etc...... ). I have all the electronics already. Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by Zac Project; 10-16-2005 at 09:52 PM.
Zac Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:18 AM   #3714
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For spares, Keep an extra shock tower, some arms and some knuckles. Maybe a few 5x9mm bearings.

For tuning stuff, the 4 deg caster blocks work anywhere. If you are going to run rubber tire carpet alot, I'd grab a one way, other wise just get a spool for an extra tuning option. The black spring kit if good if you are goign to run asphalt and rubber tire carpet, grab the silver set as well if you are going to run on foams. The extra shims to change the front track width and rear toe in and stuff are nice. Keep some spare blades on hand as well.

The only MUST HAVE hopup is the SRC hard foam bumper.

-Korey
Old 10-17-2005, 01:26 AM   #3715
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

kewl. Thanks sushiboy. Now, im gonna pick up some sushi after I pick up my RDX !!!!!!
Zac Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #3716
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Buy steering knuckles, steering knuckles and more steering knuckles.

And the Rubberneck front bumper is a must. I would suggest the thin bumper for use with the Buds Kydex modded bumper, too. The Rubberneck is not enough on its own unless you never hit a wall.

I'd suggest A-arms, e-clips, toe shims, spare screws sampler package, and oh yeah, more steering knuckles.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #3717
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Buy steering knuckles, steering knuckles and more steering knuckles.

And the Rubberneck front bumper is a must. I would suggest the thin bumper for use with the Buds Kydex modded bumper, too. The Rubberneck is not enough on its own unless you never hit a wall.

I'd suggest A-arms, e-clips, toe shims, spare screws sampler package, and oh yeah, more steering knuckles.
What about the aluminum steering knuckles? Work good? Or is it one of those "transfer of force" things where it ends up causing more damage to other components that then become the "weaker link".
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #3718
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Well, I can tell you first hand that they work t ofix the breakage problem, HOWEVER, the tiny kingpin bearings (3 x 6 x 2) and the plastic A-arms now take all of the force in ANY diagonal impact on the front end. I bought them yesterday at the track after going through two plastic knuckles in 2 consecutive practice sessions. At $9 a pair, I had already spent more than I wanted on parts that shouldn't break that easily.

So instead of pulling the steering knuckle out of the lower kingpin in the main last night when I clipped a board, I snapped a 50% A-arm in half. Pick your poison. I have a graveyard of broken front end parts in a box in my shop from 2 weeks of racing. Five steering knuckles, four A-arms and three bent aluminum CVDs. In 23+ years of racing RC cars, I have never experienced parts destruction like this.

I'm coming to the conclusion that while this car is a spectacular piece of craftsmanship and engineering, if you are a driver that hits ANYTHING, ever, it might not be the best choice. I am not a hack, either, but would consider myself a B-mainer at local races. I can turn laps consistenly within 80-90% of the TQ usually, even rusty and out of practice.

I will be changing to the Rubberneck bumper WITH the Kydex sub-bumper for the next race, though I don't think that the impacts that I have broken things with would have been different with a stiffer front bumper. All of my breakage comes when the wheels are turned into the corner, and the front of the tire catches an apex.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 AM   #3719
Tech Apprentice

Default lowered shock towers

does anybody know how to lower the front shock tower on the rdx for carpet racing ? do you just drill another hole above stock hole then cut off lower ear ? if anyone knows please pm back

thanks ,tim
treecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:35 AM   #3720
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Apex Speed-_ think 95% of your breakage will dissappear when you put the Rubberneck bumper on. Weve got brutal boards at the Gate and I ve only broken two steering knuckles (well-I didnt break the 2nd one ) and a broken upper front bumper brace, that is still useable(I didnt break that one either). I guess I let too many drvers drive my cars. This is after 1000's of laps.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote