R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #3631
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallyUSA
SETUP SHEETS ADDED

The website has been updated with setups from Cuffs and Toso from the IIC Race a couple weeks ago. Ertrachter's Rubber Tire setup will be up in the next few days.

Ummm, yeah, we did. ^^^^^^^^
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #3632
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I guess I didn't go far enough back. OOPS!!!! Sorry I will try to pay closer attention next time!!!
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #3633
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

It's ok, I'm patiently waiting for the rubber tire setup...
Old 10-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #3634
Tech Master

Default toolset

Who has the ultimate toolset in stock? I would prefer an online shop that takes Paypal. Thanks.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #3635
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6
Who has the ultimate toolset in stock? I would prefer an online shop that takes Paypal. Thanks.
Foryt6-in the meantime-for say the battery strap that doesnt require torque to tighten-you can use a standrad 2mm hex or ball driver in case, like me you forget to bring the torx bit to the track one day

Thanks Apex-but on foam tires-its not feasable to run the maximum throw at all times. If the cars capable of a 3' circle and you dial that in on foams-youd have to be superman to drive it. I'm not saying there arent guys who dont-and dont do it well, but most of us cannot. Rubber tires-I can see that. I know when i ran nitro cars-we set steering throw to its maximum-but I still balanced it out for even circles right and left. I am looking for not only set-up chnages-but physical modifications to get he rim away form the spring perch without affecting track width, wheel rates, etc.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #3636
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty6
YGPM.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #3637
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Doug, the thing is, especially with foam tires, if you can turn around in the lane then you're fine for overall travel. The less you have to turn the wheel the more corner speed your car will have, so this is why we don't always run maximum throw. My car will do a 2 ft circle when I give it gas and yank the wheel, but at a crawl it'll do about 4 or so foot one. The car itself is setup to turn, I don't need max travel to do it.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #3638
Tech Elite

Obviously, but we aren't driving Nintendo cars, you can turn the wheel a little to turn the car a little, right? You don't yank the wheel full turn every time you hit a corner, do you?

I just don't believe that lowering steering D/R to compensate for handling problems is the right way to set up a car. Suggesting to inexperienced racers that by reducing steering throw on their radios is a good way to stop a loose or oversteering setup isn't the best advice, in my opinion. I see it a lot on these forums, and I can't believe that no one has said anything before.

Then again, I think Ray was asking for different steering geometry advice in the first place, so this all may be mOOt (or mute as the dirt oval guys like to say).

Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM   #3639
Tech Adept

Maybe you guys can help me out. As some of you mite know im quite new to the RDX and im looking for a decent set up its on a big track (tarmac) im using a stock and i feel...well that i know this car can peform better. I have the standard set up from the manual, with 35Wt oil all the way round
Mission_carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #3640
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Last Sunday I ran my RDX in pretty good grip (Black paragon groove) and it was superb. I was amazed at how different it was from morning lower grip to post race day grip (I ran 12th all day). It got better. Better meaning easier to drive and higher corner speed. NO wonder this car always kicks butt when traction comes up.

Here is on thing I'd like to see what you guys have done. For the super tight corners from fast strights, the dual rate I have in the car has the rims hit the shock bottoms. So I run my dual rate just afew clicks less than ideal. So-in other words-more steering withut doing something dumb like narrow arm width with wide hexes.

Ray

I'd have to double check my EPA and D/R setting but I know I was running like 75% EPA and about 60 on the D/R in Las Vegas. I had PLENTY of steering even on tight 180* corners. I could still turn around in the lane width. Setting the car up to rotate more is better and faster. Obviously wheels dragging on the shocks slows it down.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #3641
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Maybe you guys can help me out. As some of you mite know im quite new to the RDX and im looking for a decent set up its on a big track (tarmac) im using a stock and i feel...well that i know this car can peform better. I have the standard set up from the manual, with 35Wt oil all the way round
What do you need the car to do that it isn't? Let us know and perhaps we could suggest some things.

If you have the 0.9mm pistons in the shocks I would drop the oil down to 20 or 25 weight. If you have the 1.3mm pistons I would stick with the 35 weight. If the car feels dumpy then go up 5 to 10wt on the oil.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #3642
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
http://www.cookieitsallgood.com/comp...hampton_04.pdf

use this setup as a base and you'll be fine

good luck
Geforcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:09 PM   #3643
Tech Adept

ps. who is using tamiya shocks here? i have it for a couple of weeks now and they work fine and smooooooooooth (with blue springs)
Geforcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #3644
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geforcy
ps. who is using tamiya shocks here? i have it for a couple of weeks now and they work fine and smooooooooooth (with blue springs)
No need for the Tamiya shocks since the standard ones are super smooth and work fine.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2005, 02:27 PM   #3645
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
I'd have to double check my EPA and D/R setting but I know I was running like 75% EPA and about 60 on the D/R in Las Vegas. I had PLENTY of steering even on tight 180* corners. I could still turn around in the lane width. Setting the car up to rotate more is better and faster. Obviously wheels dragging on the shocks slows it down.

Jeff
I have found with the RDX, you do have to adjust the EPA at least more than any other car I have ever owned. I am currently running 66% EPA both left and right. Any more than that, and my wheels rub on the shocks but I still have enough steering for even the tightests tracks. I run the shocks in the outermost holes with 28 mm foams and 1mm wheel spacers. I can space the wheels out more but then I am no longer race legal.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote