R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #3601
Tech Initiate

The bearings of the Aluminium Steering Blocks are 3x6x2 (because there are also 3x6x2.5 available in some shops).

The bearing in the Rear Upright is 5x9x3. All are metric sizes, because Corally is from Europe.

But putting the aluminium parts in the oven could be a good solution to get damaged bearings out. I think I'm gonna thry that also with my aluminium steering blocks.
RDX_Charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #3602
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Dom,

Thanks, I will make sure Tiffany has gone shopping when I heat that up tonight. Also, if you know anyone that is looking for a Much More Motor Master I am going to sell mine. It works great just need the money for my race car.

Brad
Brad_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:33 PM   #3603
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

So after breaking two plastic steering knuckles last weekend, on what were relatively soft impacts (tearing the lower kingpin from the soft pivot holes), I am trying to figure out if the aluminum knuckles are the best option for improvement.

I don't particulalry like that so many guys who have them are destroying bearings in the races of the kingpins. Obviously, tiny bearings like that are not capable of taking lateral impacts, and would definitely be better served as a smooth bushing. My question is, are the aluminum knuckles being sold with the bronze bushings yet or are they still coming with the bearings, and a $24 upgrade for 4 oilite bushings?
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #3604
Tech Regular

i have the aluminium sterring block and i put the bushing because i bust two bearing!! and i can tell you the bushing is great upgrade if you run the aluminum sterring block !! you should buy the aluminum one ! you will never never break any sterring block and they are better looking hehe when i am on the track the only thing is in my mind is " i dont to brake a suspension arm" im just kidding bu they are fragile but man this car is so beautiful and fast!! hehe

Later!
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #3605
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

$67 to make the steering knuckles more durable...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #3606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Funny,

I have yet to break one of the plastic knuckles...but everything else. Plus the front end is already heavy so I avoid the heavy aluminum knuckles..
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #3607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i dunno how much they are necessary... i have had the alum steering on my car since i got it back in March... and i run it every weekend.

i have replaced a total of 2 of the knuckle bearings. i did find some that are sealed to replace them, if my other 2 fail.

i have much better luck with them over the plastic blocks... i suppose after all my bearings are used up, i may go with the bushings.

Wes

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #3608
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
$67 to make the steering knuckles more durable...
yeah i know how you feel hehe!!!

trust me!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #3609
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All you have to do is mount the tc3 brp bumper on the car...after that you shouldnt have any problem breaking knuckles
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #3610
Tech Regular

yep thats true i think it was the fisrt thing i bougth hehe! stiff rdx bumper and the brp tc3 plastic bumper hehe!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:37 PM   #3611
Tech Elite

Good point, you could probably get about a dozen replacement bearings for the knuckles for the price of the 4 bushings. Still, the whole principle of it all scuffs me, because they should already come with parts that are more durable, considering the pieces themselves are durability upgrades in the first place.

The plastic knuckles both broke in the same way, while the wheels were turned entering a corner. The tire bit the inside of the boards and yanked the lower kingpin (which to me is about 2 mm too short) right through the base kingpin hole. It just looke like the pins are too short or there is not enough meat in the steering knuckle.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give a little more room on the apexes next week.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #3612
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

This is exactly how mine broke, every time. It really does seem like those kingpins should be longer, if nothing else. You'll also find my heated comments about the whole situation with the aluminum hubs and the world's most expensive upgrade bushings a few pages back. What I've found is that you can use two 3x6 washers (the kit comes with a ton of them) in each hole, possibly wrapped with saran wrap to make them snug and eliminate play, and it'll replace the bearings just fine. I'm not an engineer, but it's becoming apparent this is a design flaw which should be addressed at some point, either with this kit or the next. With so many things being equal on modern touring cars, it's things like this (and all kits have them) that help informed, unsponsored racers make their buying decisions. Those type of people would be, you know, the bulk of a company's customers.

Edit: I'm not a mechanical engineer. Ahem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Good point, you could probably get about a dozen replacement bearings for the knuckles for the price of the 4 bushings. Still, the whole principle of it all scuffs me, because they should already come with parts that are more durable, considering the pieces themselves are durability upgrades in the first place.

The plastic knuckles both broke in the same way, while the wheels were turned entering a corner. The tire bit the inside of the boards and yanked the lower kingpin (which to me is about 2 mm too short) right through the base kingpin hole. It just looke like the pins are too short or there is not enough meat in the steering knuckle.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give a little more room on the apexes next week.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 09:09 AM   #3613
Tech Elite

I'm on a mission right now... four $24 steering bushings is downright irritating.

HPI has aluminum bushings:
HPI Aluminum Washer 3x6x2mm (1 set @ $3.89) (part #Z817)

And I am finding that Radio Shack xMod wheel bushings might be 3x6x2, as well. I'm researching that one a bit more, because those should be easy to come by.

Not to mention that RCmart.com has 10 bearings in this size for $10.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #3614
Tech Regular

look at my battery strap hehe ! looks cool
Attached Thumbnails
Team Corally RDX Touring Car-s2020017.jpg  
Old 10-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #3615
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

....lol....got some time on your hands I see.....

Looks cool.