R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-18-2005, 09:13 AM   #3391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

When you use a fan directly on the hoods and com ther eis lass chance for fade in the middle or end of the run. The number 1 reason why people feel their power fade away in a run is not usually battery, it's motor. If you can keep the components cool then there will be less of a chance to have serious fade in the run. The Much More racing thermoelectric coolers actualyl do work, fans actually work, and those heat sinks work to a certain extent. I personall prefer a fan because you can focus where it is cooling the motor more. Personally I have them pointing to the hoods and com, since that si the sourse for most of the heat.

-Korey
Old 09-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #3392
Tech Initiate

If there is some more airflow to your brushes and comm, your motor will stay cooler during your run. In the lay-out of the RDX the back of the motor (mostly the +) won''t get much airflow during driving. The fan will help, so the brushes and comm stay cooler during your heat.

Much More cools your motor really down before your race, but will get higher during the race. But not too much in a 5 minute race, so works well I heard.
But a fan is much cheaper.
RDX_Charade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #3393
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Were the lap times any different from no-fan to fan? Cooler is one thing, but if there is no gain on the track, the value of the fan is in question. More battery left? Less wear on the brushes or comm?

The question is, even if it lowers the temps, is it more valuable than, say, a 12-fin snap-on motor heatsink?
Hey Doug....

Well, like Sushi Boy said the motor does not want to fade at the last 2 minutes of the run with the fan. Now this testing was with 7 turns so you can understand why we are worried about fade. The brushes definately looked better after the run. It isn't a matter of faster laps, it is consistent laps from being to end and the motor looking WAY better at the end.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2005, 10:16 AM   #3394
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Now thats cool...could you ask him how he made the lexan mount then give me a shout please

Thanks,

Will

Ps: I went out lastweek to round 9 of the club champ and the car was set up real nice i came third in my heat and the 2 cars infront were 19 turn and i was using my 27 stock...i was real happy with this car and how it drives
Hey Will....

I just took some lexan and cut it at an angle coming off the rear swaybar mount on the left bulkhead. The lexan actually sits on top of the motor for support and then I bent if over the endbell and bolted on the Novak fan. I'll try and perhaps take an overhead shot to show you the mounting.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #3395
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
Hey all,

If you havent done it yet-for goodness sake-put the ceramic diff balls in your diffs!!! Holy-cow are they smooth.

I put a small drop of Associated Stealth lube in each hole in the pulley and dropped a dry ceramic diff ball in. Then assemebled with dry dif rings and voila-super diff!! I used Si3n4 Grade 5 balls. Yes-expensive but worth it.

Ray
Hey guys, I find this hard to believe that some of you are just finding out about ceraminc diff balls! I'll tell you what, I have been running Acer Ceramic diff balls since they first came out and man, they are definately worth the money. If I were any good, these could have been my secret wepon for years now I used the same set in my TC3 for 3 seasons and they were as good at the end of the 3rd year as they were when they were brand new. Good Stuff!! They are a little hard on the diff rings but it's more than worth the trade off. I have the Corally ceramic diff balls and ceramic thrust bearings in my RDX now too. Definately worht the money!! If yiu can afford it, I highly recommend running full ceramic in all your cars (bearings, diffs).
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #3396
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

koabich-It took me so long because of cost. But as they say-seeing is believing!! Or feeling is believeing. After only two race days-I can already feel the difference between my front diff with ceramics and my rear diff with chrome balls. The rear is perfectly acceptable amount of "gritty feeling"-but the front is retarded smooth.

btw-Good luck Jeff Brown!!! Thanks for all the advice youve been giving me lately.
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #3397
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Pic of fan mounted on car. Hard to say if it has done much, BUT the car was under weight and this put it right on, so at least it's weight going toward a cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Corally RDX Touring Car-dscn0541.jpg   Team Corally RDX Touring Car-dscn0540.jpg  
Old 09-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #3398
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhuang
koabich-It took me so long because of cost. But as they say-seeing is believing!! Or feeling is believeing. After only two race days-I can already feel the difference between my front diff with ceramics and my rear diff with chrome balls. The rear is perfectly acceptable amount of "gritty feeling"-but the front is retarded smooth.

btw-Good luck Jeff Brown!!! Thanks for all the advice youve been giving me lately.
Well good for you. Hopefully others will catch on soon, as they are worth it. I remember getting slammed by a bunch of people on here several years ago for recommending these along with the Acer Ceramic bearings.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #3399
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
Pic of fan mounted on car. Hard to say if it has done much, BUT the car was under weight and this put it right on, so at least it's weight going toward a cause.
I would figure that you would want the fan over the endbell as that's where all the heat is comming from in the first place. Correct me if I am wrong cause i am about to make a mount for my car and want to get it right!
Old 09-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #3400
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by koabich
I would figure that you would want the fan over the endbell as that's where all the heat is comming from in the first place. Correct me if I am wrong cause i am about to make a mount for my car and want to get it right!
LOL, well, yeah, it would probably be better, but when the lexan got that long, it was really flembsy and the fan would almost rest on the motor, I need to get a scrap piece of CF to make the mount longer. Plus, when I run mod the motor is rotated more toward the rear for a smaller gear, and it covers more of the endbell.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 PM   #3401
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I haven't tried it, but the coolcanfan guys make a nice fan mount for the RDX as well.

Corally Can Fan
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #3402
Tech Master

Hey Brandon........

attached is the picture of the mount I made, which Curtis posted a page back. it is a side view so tough to know what i did. I made a new one yesterday that goes from rear swaybar mount, curves out and the fan drops down and then it continues to the topdeck hole on the motor bulkhead.

It is made from lexan and it is super sturdy. The motor actually helps support it. The fan sits directly onto the endbell, so I wouldn't worry about it interfering. I'd take a new pic but I am packed for my flight tomorrow.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Team Corally RDX Touring Car-fanmount.jpg  
Old 09-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #3403
Tech Adept

How do I hook up the fan and a switch for the fan?

Ch 1 and 2 are used, ch 3 is for my PT.
gc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 PM   #3404
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hook the fan leads to the battery leads with a switch inline.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:14 AM   #3405
Tech Adept

Okay, I guess you splice the fan leads into the + and - battery wires but where does the switch go? Yes, it's time for electronics 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
Hook the fan leads to the battery leads with a switch inline.
gc2005 is offline   Reply With Quote