Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Hey Cuffs - Your RDX looked good in practice yesterday man
Old 09-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #3257
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
What's the right combination of spacers and hexes to get the front of the car to 190MM when using foams? Is it three 1 degree spacers under each coupler and the regular hexes?
This will vary based on which foams you use. The parma tires have a different offset than the Jaco/BSR type. I believe the front is real close to 190 using 1 thick (1deg) toe spacer behind the RC blocks with Parma tires, and 2 shims with Jaco type.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:36 PM   #3258
Tech Master

The car is 188mm out of the box with standard hexes and one 1mm shim on each coupler. This is with Rubber Tires. I believe Jaco tires are the same offset. So, if you put narrow hexes on your car will be 186mm without adding more shims. So you should be able to add two more 1mm shims on each side and be fine. Remember this is for the front.

Rob was checking Toso's car a while back and has 2.5mm shims on each side with narrows. He said worse case just remove the 0.5mm shim and be done, for Jacos.

I was also a little confused on this until I talked with Rob on how the car is out of the box.

Jeff
Old 09-04-2005, 11:17 PM   #3259
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hmm, okay. I'm thinking with Jaco's, I need two 1 degree spacers and normal hexes to get 190MM. I guess all these little nuances aren't the biggest deal in the world, but I'm trying to get my head around all the different setup options, and how they'll affect the car. I'd concentrate on driving a lot more of the time, but I have a lot more time to setup the car than I do to drive it, so this is how I spend my R/C time between races. :-D

In unrelated news, I stepped to the other side for a weekend and drove an FK05. I really liked the quality of the car's engineering, but it wasn't fun to work on at all. There's a level of simplicity with the RDX that makes it a real joy to work on. It seems like the cars are pretty similar in terms of performance capability, so at the end of the day, you've gotta drive something you enjoy working with.

And lastly, do you guys find the harder arms are more easily broken than those made from a softer compound? I still hit boards from time to time (though that gets better each week) and it seems like I break a ton of arms. It was frustration about this that led me to stray to the dark side momentarily. Plus, it seems like those hard arms are getting more expensive each time I order them. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #3260
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
And lastly, do you guys find the harder arms are more easily broken than those made from a softer compound? I still hit boards from time to time (though that gets better each week) and it seems like I break a ton of arms. It was frustration about this that led me to stray to the dark side momentarily. Plus, it seems like those hard arms are getting more expensive each time I order them. :-D
75% will break way less than softer arms. I have broken a few 50's on asphalt tracks, but have never broke a 75% outside or inside.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #3261
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
Ive got another question ive had my RDX for one race meet and it just doesnt seem silent as the other cars all the cars sound the same in stock group B but in A they sound real smooth, i dont think its the bearings because off the motor its really smooth. Ive got a monster stock if that helps, should i get a titanuim pinoin?
It could also be something as simple as not having bushing lube on it. Those things rattle without lube on them.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #3262
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Is your gear mesh right?
It will make your car sound like garbage if it it too tight or loose.
Other wise, check for binding, If one of your axel bearings are reall dirty they can cause binding and even make lots-o-noise. I clkean and relube my bearings every week or so bepending how much testing and practice I do combined with how much I race. Sometimes once a week. Yea kind of a pain but they are very free and no binding.
-Shookie <><
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Ive got another question ive had my RDX for one race meet and it just doesnt seem silent as the other cars all the cars sound the same in stock group B but in A they sound real smooth, i dont think its the bearings because off the motor its really smooth. Ive got a monster stock if that helps, should i get a titanuim pinoin?
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:05 AM   #3263
Tech Adept

I think it ritght. When you say to tight or losse do you mean how closr it is to the pinoin?
Mission_carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #3264
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton
75% will break way less than softer arms. I have broken a few 50's on asphalt tracks, but have never broke a 75% outside or inside.
do you mean you break 50 arms or you have break some 50(the Hard one??)
and also it is more easy to break arm outiside than on carpet inside??

Later!!
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #3265
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think he means the 50% arms. I've never run anything else besides 75% arms, I've only cracked a few. I check them after every run around the end of the arm and flex them to see if the seem cracked or if they cracked anywhere else. When they crack they loose alot of rigidity that makes the car feel kinda tweaked. I've never really had one break into 2 peices.

-Korey
Old 09-05-2005, 11:38 AM   #3266
Tech Regular

k because its the only thing that scared me on that car!! if i can i would put the arm from the xray hehe!! they are solid like a rock! i have my first race the 11th and im really nervous because i know that the arm on the rdx is not solide i have the stock one on the car but i bougth a pack of 4 (Hard) !! so if i break one i will be able to continue racing but man!! i want to finish a qualifiacation a least. i have the hard bumper in the front and the BRP TC3 bumper so i dont think i will break a front arm but if someone hit me in the back im pretty sure it will break and also if i break arm its not really my fault because now i can drive and dont hit the board often!! anyways!! wish me luck!!

Later!!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:42 AM   #3267
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1Raycer
k because its the only thing that scared me on that car!! if i can i would put the arm from the xray hehe!! they are solid like a rock! i have my first race the 11th and im really nervous because i know that the arm on the rdx is not solide i have the stock one on the car but i bougth a pack of 4 (Hard) !! so if i break one i will be able to continue racing but man!! i want to finish a qualifiacation a least. i have the hard bumper in the front and the BRP TC3 bumper so i dont think i will break a front arm but if someone hit me in the back im pretty sure it will break and also if i break arm its not really my fault because now i can drive and dont hit the board often!! anyways!! wish me luck!!

Later!!
Yesterday was my first run with the RDX and I had no broken parts, and I won touring stock. So far so good.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #3268
Tech Elite

The key to not breaking the front arms is to get a good bumper, from specialized or anyother aftermarket company that makes the ultra stiff ones. I have never broke a 75% arm, front or rear. Seems the only thing I have broke on the front end are the axles, but that's running a spool, and the plastic steering blocks.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #3269
Tech Regular

i have the stiff bumper whit the BRP TC3 plastic plate!! so the front im not worry!! hehe!!! also after i will broke my stock arm and broke the hard one i will buy the xtra hard one!! and i dont see what other parts can break?? the arm is the only plastic parts on the car hehe( i have the aluminum sterring block)!!!!

Later!!
Old 09-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #3270
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We've got some narrow lanes that lead to the occasional side impact (if you drift to high for whatever reason) which is usually where the arms get broken. It's not terribly frequent, but it definitely happens. I think the only thing I've broken in a front impact is the bumper brace, and that was understandable given the nature of the wreck. The car has been extremely durable though. I even went back to the plastic steering knuckles and haven't had any trouble.

Anybody know about the front sway bar question I asked earlier?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote