R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #3166
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)
Default uk or us version

Corally guys: a few quick questions...
I posted some basic questions about the RDX elsewhere in this forum, but figured I would post here as well as it is probably the place I need to be. Anyhoo- I want some opinions on whether I should consider the US or UK version. I have only gotten back into rc (less than) a year ago, and I'm still re-learning alot. That being said should I go with the car that has f/r diffs so as to 'learn the car' ? I've never driven a one-way set-up but I hear its harder to learn. I also noticed from the Corally site that on asphalt most of the drivers used the 4 deg. castor blocks (as included with the UK car). I dig the look of the car up close so much I'm trying to sell off most of my old stuff to fund a new rdx-one being a vintage kyosho turbo optima (85' I beleive). So hopefully some of you can give me a bit of advice on my options...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 AM   #3167
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I posted some basic questions about the RDX elsewhere in this forum, but figured I would post here as well as it is probably the place I need to be. Anyhoo- I want some opinions on whether I should consider the US or UK version. I have only gotten back into rc (less than) a year ago, and I'm still re-learning alot. That being said should I go with the car that has f/r diffs so as to 'learn the car' ? I've never driven a one-way set-up but I hear its harder to learn. I also noticed from the Corally site that on asphalt most of the drivers used the 4 deg. castor blocks (as included with the UK car). I dig the look of the car up close so much I'm trying to sell off most of my old stuff to fund a new rdx-one being a vintage kyosho turbo optima (85' I beleive). So hopefully some of you can give me a bit of advice on my options...
What will you mostly be running on carpet or asphalt ?
stegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:50 AM   #3168
Tech Adept

Guys i need some help on my set up of the car its way and i mean way to hard to drive. It's just to sharp in the turns and i like to drive smooth and not hard into corners etc and im quite new to set ups because my last car i didnt need to touch the set up because it was already for tarmac and it drove like a beaut. Ive looked in the back of the manual and tried the stuff out but i couldnt get it to how i want it and because of this i can't race it. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

Wills
Mission_carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 AM   #3169
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I just got the 3.9 chassis and 3.4 upper deck for this ballistic missile they call the RDX. As I was swapping the chassis, I noticed that my battery strap isn't long enough. I don't see an optional battery strap on the website, so what's the deal?
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #3170
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

you've got the newer chassis plate made to accept 3700-size cells... you will need the updated strap tp go with it.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 AM   #3171
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

http://www.corallyusa.com/2005/parts/79363A.gif

This is the one you want....
The part number is 79363A the "A" being the most important part of the number...
-SHookie <><
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin
I just got the 3.9 chassis and 3.4 upper deck for this ballistic missile they call the RDX. As I was swapping the chassis, I noticed that my battery strap isn't long enough. I don't see an optional battery strap on the website, so what's the deal?
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:09 AM   #3172
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Guys i need some help on my set up of the car its way and i mean way to hard to drive. It's just to sharp in the turns and i like to drive smooth and not hard into corners etc and im quite new to set ups because my last car i didnt need to touch the set up because it was already for tarmac and it drove like a beaut. Ive looked in the back of the manual and tried the stuff out but i couldnt get it to how i want it and because of this i can't race it. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

Wills
If you post your current setup I can suggest some changes for you. We have local guys build the car box stock...... oil, springs, everything and the car was dialed on asphalt. So let me know where you started at.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 AM   #3173
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
There are 3 kits. Standard kit (00166) which is with the one-way. The UK kit (00166UK) which is double diff and 4 deg blocks. The US Carpet Spec (00167) which is double diff, 3.4mm topdeck and silver spring set.

Now....... 9 times out of 10 we recommend the UK or US Carpet Spec depending on what you race. This way you have a spare diff if you decide to pick up a spool for asphalt. For carpet I would definately get either one of these kits.

If you are running some rubber tire carpet I would consider the standard kit.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #3174
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjoy25
Yep, oneways are always quicker.
Sure they are quicker than a double diff setup. A spool is just as fast as a one-way and easier to drive. I think the TQ and Winner of the Worlds last year liked his spool in the car.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #3175
Tech Adept

Jeff i have the set up that comes with the car (Uk kit)
Old 08-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #3176
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_carbon
Jeff i have the set up that comes with the car (Uk kit)
Is the asphalt cleaned off and treated at all?

Also....... do the shocks have 0.9mm or 1.3mm pistons?

If you have 1.3mm pistons I would try 60wt in the front and 40 wt in the rear if the track is pretty loose. If you have the 0.9mm pistons in the shocks I would stick with the stock kit oil. Set the ride height to 5mm all the way around and your front droop to 4mm and your rear droop to 5mm.

Now if the track has a good drive line that is clean and high traction I would go with 50wt in the front and change the droop to 3mm in the front and 4mm in the rear.

Run the front camber link 2nd or 3rd hole in on the top row and 2nd hole in bottom row on the rear. I think that is stock.

Hopefully this will point you in a better direction. Let me know more about the type of surface you race on and I could probably do some more suggestions.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #3177
Tech Regular

hey Jeff Brown

i race on capet on smooth track and the track is pretty big!!! what wheelbase guys think it will be good fo my track and what oil should i put in the shock i running 1.3mm piston???? and also later i will post my setup and want to know what should i change for have more sterring!!!

Later!!
T1Raycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #3178
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For carpet I've found 60wt in the front, and 40wt in the rear with 1.3mm pistons to be very good on larger carpet tracks. I would just stay in the middle positions for wheelbase. I guess if you want to smooth the car out a bit you could move the front arms forward. When I'm running rubber tires on carpet tamiya 3 holes pistons with a tamiya .7mm shim on top of the piston works really well with the 60/40 setup as well. When the track is smaller and I need a bit quicker transitioning I go a bit thinner on the oil to 50/30. Hope that helps a bit.

-Korey
Old 08-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #3179
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Run the front camber link 2nd or 3rd hole in on the top row and 2nd hole in bottom row on the rear. I think that is stock.
Jeff
Jeff can I ask what difference this will make?

I had a problem at the weekend that my car was pushing on corner entry (off power I suppose) - would this change help?

I currently run 1.3mm 60wt front, 40wt rear and 5mm droop all round with the shocks in kit position. Was planning to soften the front springs (from 17lb all round) to 14lb front and 17lb rear or possibly go down on the droop.

Stephen
scoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #3180
Tech Adept

I know what the problem is now its steering i have way to much of it it will skid after coming down the straight when slowing down? how will i make it alot smoother.

Jeff i race on an open tarmac track