R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #2881
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Chassis Flex

Ok, first off stock and 19T are not really going fast enough to transfer enough load onto the suspension to really notice a drastic change from thick to thin.

Socal has High Bite so I would use at least a standard chassis there. RROC never really gets hot and the traction is always really good.

Flex helps when in high track temps such as 130 or higher mainly. The tires only have so much mechanical grip and usually you are running on Handout tires so you can't go to like CS36 tires or something to help out.

There are reasons that Corally...... Xray........ HPI........ Tamiya all have thinner chassis available. Hara uses a 2.0mm chassis and topdeck and he seems to do pretty good.

Its more of a personal preference thing I guess.

Jeff

yes jeff hara uses 2.0 chassis but it is a DIFFERENT type of cf material ..i felt his chassis it feels like its 4 mm thick...dude i ran mod at the KO GRAND PRIX at the tamiya track the SAME set up as 19 /stock set up my car was gamey.....toso drove my car he said it was better than his all weekend...you could learn something from the cali guys ...stiffer is always better even in florida ..you guys all think alike, see you guys at the nats spec tires and handout motors no problem ....you guys can chase the track i will chase the TQ time ......WORD HOMIE.........................
lickrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:14 PM   #2882
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickrim
yes jeff hara uses 2.0 chassis but it is a DIFFERENT type of cf material ..i felt his chassis it feels like its 4 mm thick...dude i ran mod at the KO GRAND PRIX at the tamiya track the SAME set up as 19 /stock set up my car was gamey.....toso drove my car he said it was better than his all weekend...you could learn something from the cali guys ...stiffer is always better even in florida ..you guys all think alike, see you guys at the nats spec tires and handout motors no problem ....you guys can chase the track i will chase the TQ time ......WORD HOMIE.........................
Yes, Hara has different carbon materials. I'm sure he'll really appreciate you letting that cat out of the bag. All manufactures can choose from several different types/grades of carbon. The old 04 Xray 3.9mm chassis flexes more than the Schumacher 2.5mm Teemu chassis. Most top drivers have known this for a while but generally keep quiet about it as it is of no value to consumers. Teams do the testing and release the right stuff so racers don't have to blow $400 testing chassis.

That said the 2mm Cyclone Hara uses in Europe is a noodle. It might as well be fiberglass. When you make statements like stiffer is always better you mess up a lot of people because they think you have all the facts when in reality you don't have the full story.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #2883
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Yes, Hara has different carbon materials. I'm sure he'll really appreciate you letting that cat out of the bag. All manufactures can choose from several different types/grades of carbon. The old 04 Xray 3.9mm chassis flexes more than the Schumacher 2.5mm Teemu chassis. Most top drivers have known this for a while but generally keep quiet about it as it is of no value to consumers. Teams do the testing and release the right stuff so racers don't have to blow $400 testing chassis.

That said the 2mm Cyclone Hara uses in Europe is a noodle. It might as well be fiberglass. When you make statements like stiffer is always better you mess up a lot of people because they think you have all the facts when in reality you don't have the full story.
thats the full story dude...testing.thats all i do ..i have not change my set up from the first time i got my rdx ,same thing everywere i go i temp the track and find tires that will work, its that easy the facts are out there try it you might learn something that works...formula one is were i get all my info and testing in all types of racing conditions....hara 2.0 chassis that i saw at the reedy race was mate black type cf it was STIFF...looked like fiber glass but was cf material....i know that anything less than 3.0 mm is not enough...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #2884
Tech Regular

Hara let me handled his car at DHI cup, same 2.0 mate black type CF chassis, it did have some flex. Stiffer is always better? I guess that's why US drivers didn't do very good in the world championship.
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #2885
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman
Hara let me handled his car at DHI cup, same 2.0 mate black type CF chassis, it did have some flex. Stiffer is always better? I guess that's why US drivers didn't do very good in the world championship.
your right we are behind the hara and reinhard are way ahead of our game here in the states....his chassis was pretty stiff huh? 2.0 mm little flex but that was it...
Old 07-28-2005, 01:45 PM   #2886
Tech Master

Quote:
You're right. I'm wrong. Sorry to ever doubt you.

I've run 4.0mm chassis on asphalt.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #2887
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
do you think that formula one uses a thinner chassis when it rains ...no they just change tires cause they no what works ..we as r/c racers dont take real racing serious enough its all what you see in the inter net
You aren't as informed as you think you are. Formula 1 teams have a completely different setup from full wet to dry, not just a tire change.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #2888
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
You aren't as informed as you think you are. Formula 1 teams have a completely different setup from full wet to dry, not just a tire change.
i read it in a formula magizine so im wrong it could deal with it..
Old 07-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #2889
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
You're right. I'm wrong. Sorry to ever doubt you.

I've run 4.0mm chassis on asphalt.

Jeff
jeff , naw really or you just being cute...i aint made at ya homie ..dont hate ..lol...im board sorry if you taken offense to me...
Old 07-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #2890
Tech Fanatic

On the setups on corally.com when it shows on the bulkhead 1-2-3 on the bulkheads with 1 been the lowest roll center is this using the new lowered blocks? I presume it is this way.
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #2891
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Pretty sure its just the normal blocks
Old 07-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #2892
Tech Rookie

Quote:

Last edited by rimlick; 12-19-2006 at 07:42 PM.
rimlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #2893
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Draper
On the setups on corally.com when it shows on the bulkhead 1-2-3 on the bulkheads with 1 been the lowest roll center is this using the new lowered blocks? I presume it is this way.
The low roll blocks would be a "0" on the bulkheads. Position 2 is achieved by flipping the standard block upside down.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #2894
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Why don't they tell you info like that? -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:07 AM   #2895
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 116 (100%+)
Default Shock Pistons

Are the Corally Shock Pistons the same diameter as most other manufacturers? I know alot of the Team Guys are using the Tamiya 3 hole pistons or boring out the .9mm to 1.3mm. I have a ton of associated and yokomo pistons and want to see if anyone knows if they will work ok before I tear apart my shocks. Can anyone help?
Glowster21 is offline   Reply With Quote