Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Corally RDX Touring Car >

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Reply

Old 06-14-2005, 07:25 PM
  #2476  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (37)
 
danjoy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,149
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Getting a new kit on the weekend as my first RDX was purchased 2nd hand. Just got few questions:

What spur gear does it come with?
Do the alloy rear shocks extension comes standard? It says on the corallyusa site they are optional parts, just abit confused.
I know the servo saver is not included, are the other bits like joint ball & turnbuckle included to complete the steering system?

Last edited by danjoy25; 06-14-2005 at 07:48 PM.
danjoy25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:45 PM
  #2477  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 2,558
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

.
DOTMAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:03 PM
  #2478  
Tech Master
 
koabich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,359
Default

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Getting a new kit on the weekend as my first RDX was purchased 2nd hand. Just got few questions:

What spur gear does it come with?
Do the alloy rear shocks extension comes standard? It says on the corallyusa site they are optional parts, just abit confused.
I know the servo saver is not included, are the other bits like joint ball & turnbuckle included to complete the steering system?
Cannot remember on the spur size. But the rear alloy shock extensions do come standard with the kit. And no a servo saver is not included but all the other stuff to complete the steering linkage is.
koabich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:11 PM
  #2479  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
Turbonium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,302
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

i think the kit spur was a 78t 48p, if memory serves.... i went straight to a 100-104 64p.
Turbonium is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 PM
  #2480  
Tech Master
 
koabich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 1,359
Default

Originally Posted by Turbonium
i think the kit spur was a 78t 48p, if memory serves.... i went straight to a 100-104 64p.
I went straight to a 108 (the largest i could run with the rear sway bar).

On another note, does anyone make the lowered front shock tower yet? I heard that Corally USA was going to offer this...has anyone heard anything?
I have already screwed up one shock tower in a poor attempt to lower it and for round two, I would rather buy a completed one than mess up another brand new one.
koabich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:46 PM
  #2481  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,207
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

The 4mm chassis is beautiful. I'm not sure if I should race it, or touch it inappropriately.

Seriously though, good work, whoever made that thing. It's got some subtle improvements over the design of the original that I'm very fond of, like the increased area for the droop screws.

Our local track is replacing the old carpet with Ozite, so as soon as that's done, I can get to practicing.
syndr0me is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:57 PM
  #2482  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (122)
 
Glowster21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,606
Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)
Default Gearing

This may seem like a strange question, but what is the advantage to running a larger spur/pinion gear? I have heard several theories regarding torque being related to a larger spur gear...Can anyone shed some light on this? I run 64 pitch with a Putnam C2 around 6.00 final drive. The car feels soft through the infield and the motor is right around where it needs to be geared heat wise. Will i get an advantage going to a larger spur than the 108 I am running now? How about a smaller spur/pinion combo? The punch on my Q2 is set all the way to 5 already. Any ideas?
Glowster21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
  #2483  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Just got a complete set of bones; they match the part#79182 in the manual but the color of them is different and they say Duraluminum on the package. They're really dark in color . Are the bones in the kit Duraluminum? -JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:39 PM
  #2484  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (31)
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,818
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default and...

where can I get that 3.9mm chassis? -JB
JayBee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:40 PM
  #2485  
Tech Master
 
Jeff Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,913
Default

Originally Posted by Glowster21
This may seem like a strange question, but what is the advantage to running a larger spur/pinion gear? I have heard several theories regarding torque being related to a larger spur gear...Can anyone shed some light on this? I run 64 pitch with a Putnam C2 around 6.00 final drive. The car feels soft through the infield and the motor is right around where it needs to be geared heat wise. Will i get an advantage going to a larger spur than the 108 I am running now? How about a smaller spur/pinion combo? The punch on my Q2 is set all the way to 5 already. Any ideas?
6.0 gearing......... foam or rubber? how big is the track? Just don't totally rely on temperature to determine gearing.

Theory...... bigger the spur, the more efficient the drivetrain is supposed to be. I'm not fully convinced on this. Offroad guys used to use it to move the motor more forward on the rearend. Not sure how much that much move would make either.

Jeff
Jeff Brown is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
  #2486  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Brian McGreevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,081
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Think of it in physics terms...

Torque (T) = Force (F) x Radius (R)

If R is increased, the force needed to have the same torque is decreased. Thus, the motor does not have to work as hard to do the same thing. Not only does this let the motor run cooler/more efficient, the motor has more punch coming off the corner.

In testing, I have totally confirmed that this works. I went from a 104 to 112 spur during a race day, ran the same rollout, and my laptimes dropped .1 -.2 seconds per lap, no other changes. The motor stayed cooler, as well.
Brian McGreevy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:37 PM
  #2487  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (122)
 
Glowster21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,606
Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
6.0 gearing......... foam or rubber? how big is the track? Just don't totally rely on temperature to determine gearing.

Theory...... bigger the spur, the more efficient the drivetrain is supposed to be. I'm not fully convinced on this. Offroad guys used to use it to move the motor more forward on the rearend. Not sure how much that much move would make either.

Jeff
Foam and I run at Hobby Chamber....Still has the long straight from the Nationals and a similar infield. I true my tires to 58mm when new.
Glowster21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:43 PM
  #2488  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Brian McGreevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,081
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Glowster, you should be running around a 1.15-1.2" rollout for that motor...right now you're at 1.195"...which is pretty tall and what I'd use for a pretty open track. What brushes and springs are you using? That could be a very large part of it, too.
Brian McGreevy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:41 PM
  #2489  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (122)
 
Glowster21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,606
Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)
Default

Brian,
I'm running Putnam Blue and Green brushes with purple springs...Parma Cyan's on the front woth Magenta's in the rear. I just switched to the 3.9mm chassis.Put in the Carpet Top Deck and it made a HUGE difference in the handling. Can't wait to hit the track tomorrow. What are your thoughts on gearing for a Fantom Quad Mag motor versus the C2 based?
Glowster21 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:46 PM
  #2490  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
Brian McGreevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,081
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I personally like the Quad mag motor...they don't fall off when they get hot.
Brian McGreevy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service