R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2005, 08:45 AM   #1546
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks to everybody for the diff building tips, both via PM and publicly. I'll put them to use when the rebuild parts are in my hands.

I noticed that everybody suggested lubing the thrust bearing. I don't think it's lubed as it's installed, but I'll give it a go.

Has anybody tried using the trust bearing with ceramic balls? Would you lube those just the same? Also, what's the trick to removing that retaining clip to get to the thrust bearing without completely destroying it?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #1547
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by syndr0me
Thanks to everybody for the diff building tips, both via PM and publicly. I'll put them to use when the rebuild parts are in my hands.

I noticed that everybody suggested lubing the thrust bearing. I don't think it's lubed as it's installed, but I'll give it a go.

Has anybody tried using the trust bearing with ceramic balls? Would you lube those just the same? Also, what's the trick to removing that retaining clip to get to the thrust bearing without completely destroying it?
snap ring pliers....I'll have mine with me Wed.

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 09:09 AM   #1548
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Syndrome- the proper tool allows you to get the clip out. It has two prongs on the end of it that gets in the holes. Probably find them near the needle nose pliers at auto parts store or Lowe's.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:11 AM   #1549
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Brandon, do you still have my Number?? Give me a call I want to talk to you about your RDX. Thinking about getting one!! Give me a shout if you get a chance. Matt Bean
beanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 09:15 AM   #1550
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

I'll call ya. I have only raced the car two weekends, but this past Saturday, I ran 10 laps in the main that were faster than my previous single best lap with the TC4 (and I had run the same layout all season with different set-ups). I have a set-up that worked really good for me, but it's not close to any carpet set-ups online, lol.

The car is super smooth, the only thing is it will take you time to learn the short cuts to wrenching on it.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:59 AM   #1551
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

Brandon - Give me a call when you get a chance. Check PM for my number.

I ran the car last night and it was very smooth and responsive to setup changes.

Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:48 PM   #1552
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Here's my setup from saturday night. It is definitely the best the car's ever been...very quick.

Front:
60 wt, 1.3 mm pistons, 33 lb spring
4 degree caster blocks, Flat pins, ultra low locks,
1 degree toe out, -1.5 camber, 1.5 mm droop over ride height, 4 mm ride height
Lowered tower
1.9 mm roll bar
2nd from inside hole on shock tower, outside (3) hole on arm
Outer camber link hole
Mid wheelbase
Inside hole on steering block, inside (towards center) hole on bellcrank (like Cuffs' setup).
1 mm wheel spacer

Rear:
40 wt, 1.3 mm pistons, 26 lb spring
1.5 degrees toe, Flat pins, ultra low blocks
-1.5 camber, 1.5 mm droop over ride height, 4 mm ride height
No roll bar
3rd hole out on tower
Outside hole upper camber link, 2nd from outside hole on hub
Mid wheelbase

Stock 2.9 mm chassis and topdeck
Cyan/Magenta tires trued to 57 mm
Parma Alfa
Paragon traction compound
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #1553
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

I have got to say that the Customer support at Corally USA is one of the best if not the best out there!

Rob is a pleasure to talk to. I called about an unusual problem that cost me a bearing and some other parts. I was really only calling to let them know what I ran into. I already had the phone set to order the parts. Needless to say Rob took care of me.

He even ask how long I had the car, how many times it had been ran, how I liked it or didn't like it, How I was doing compared to my previous car.

That my friends is how a Winning Team is built!!
imprsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #1554
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Yes CorallyUSA has superb customer and driver support. I couldn't ask for anything more from you guys!
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 10:43 AM   #1555
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The guy I talked to at Superior yesterday (Jeff I think) was very helpful too. It definitely makes a guy feel good about the choice of manufacturers.

So, I think I figured out why I'm having trouble with the diffs, and it's my fault, as I suspected. The manual clearly shows that you should put grease on the thrust bearing. However, since this part of the diff was already assembled, I assumed (doh!) that it would be greased. As far as I can tell, that's not the case, though maybe someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong. Presumably, a dry thrust bearing will have a much shorter life than one that's properly greased.

So, unless I'm wrong about it not being greased by default, it makes sense to pull it apart and grease it, even if it's pre-assembled. I guess that makes me wonder why it's pre-assembled to begin with, unless it's just an issue of making packaging easier, which is understandable.

Nobody to blame but myself. That's no fun either, it's much more enjoyable to make other people look stupid. :-D
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 AM   #1556
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I found that my thrust bearing assembly was assembled incorrectly (two washers on one side.) I think its a test from the manufacter to see if you are paying attention. !!

I put a dab of thrust beariing grease in when I reassembeled it.. its smooth..

Also found that in Mod you need to relube everything after each race day..as a precaution.. now the diffs like butter.

I'm going to try spool on carpet tomorrow .. should be good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rdx2005 roll out foam 64p.pdf (103.6 KB, 124 views)
BadBoyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #1557
Tech Adept

Default Spool on Carpet

Speaking of Spools,

What application would you use a spool for? ie. high traction carpet? and what kinda changes do you need to make with driving style?

I tried mine a long time ago on my Assassin, it seemed to take away a lot of steering not to mention make everything prone to breakage/bending.

If you drive it right can you increase lap times? what's the theory?
Electro-MAX RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #1558
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Spool is like having a locked front one-way. A little less steering initially but gobs of steering throughout the turn.

The carpet we are racing on is med/high traction but it is glued down.. I would not recommend on carpet that is not glued down as it tends to bunch up under heavy braking and turning forces.

spools will greatly improve traction I use it exclusively on asphalt..you get the benefit of a oneway with the braking action of a diff.

With a diff you lose some power and its is slow through transistions. thus faster lap times. than diff
BadBoyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:57 PM   #1559
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: Spool on Carpet

Quote:
Originally posted by Electro-MAX RC
Speaking of Spools,

What application would you use a spool for? ie. high traction carpet? and what kinda changes do you need to make with driving style?

I tried mine a long time ago on my Assassin, it seemed to take away a lot of steering not to mention make everything prone to breakage/bending.

If you drive it right can you increase lap times? what's the theory?
You would only want to use a spool if nothing else is allowed. Or if the track is long and flowing and a one-way is not allowed...like the Reedy Races. Other wise, on carpet, run a diff. A spool is fully locked with no moving parts. Because there is no diff action a lot of speed is scrubbed off in the corners and will make the car very hard to turn in initially in the turn.

On a tight track, all other things being equal, a diff will always out perform an spool.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:00 PM   #1560
Tech Master

Spool is a solid axle. Pretty much gives you a push but allows you to use brakes quite heavily. I wouldn't really use it on carpet. On asphalt i have found it to be about 2 tenths a lap faster than double diffs.

It is just easier to control on rubber tire asphalt. You don't have to worry about the one-way oversteering and getting loose on you.

It isn't really a driving style change except for the ability to use brakes, just a setup change. I typically run standard roll blocks in the rear and ultra low in the front when using a spool. I am working on other things as well to get it a little better for the Reedy Race.

Jeff