R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

i would get the pro4, if hpis anodize special wasnt purple. i have nothing against it, except id rather have anodized blue, its got that zing to it. then again u can always de-anodize and just have non polished silver all around on a pro4
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Absolutely right, just go with whichever one has the best parts support where you live(or race), & where you can get good setup help from the local racers(which is an advantage to the TC3 being around for so long, LOTS of good setups for pretty much EVERY surface & situation).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 07:28 AM   #18
Tech Regular

PRO4, one thing very sure for this car is very durable.

I use this car for more than 6 months and have not change any parts yet.

I have used this car for a 2 hours endurance race, the car still in good condition after the 2 hours race but the body shell.
BerNardLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #19
Tech Elite

It's important with good local support.

At our track, it seems like the TC3 is pretty fragile.

People have various experience with the TC3, when it comes to durability....

There can be several reasons for that and the obvious is to not hit anything. But that is easier said, than done, if it's your first RC car.... (Havent we all been a newbie at some point? )

So with that in mind, I tend to say Pro4 (if it's good supported where you live)
Old 07-28-2004, 09:27 AM   #20
Tech Master

TC3 is an extremely good car, but the molds have gone the way of the Dodo. the Pro4 is very similar in almost every way important, but the molds are perfect so the parts fit together perfect, and the car has some improvements suggested by the current ROAR national sedan mod champion Atsushi Hara.
wagonman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:31 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Depends on your parts support from your LHS..

I've owned both cars.... get the Pro4.
easier to drive, very competative, durable, fast out of the box.

and not to mention... 2004 ROAR National Champion.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by wagonman72
TC3 is an extremely good car, but the molds have gone the way of the Dodo. the Pro4 is very similar in almost every way important, but the molds are perfect so the parts fit together perfect, and the car has some improvements suggested by the current ROAR national sedan mod champion Atsushi Hara.
And just what evidence do you have to support this claim? Conversely, the first TC3 molds (specifically diff cases) had some fit issues that are now resolved in the latest molded parts. So the molds are new and better than they ever were.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both cars are more then cabable.....

Id be picking up a TC3 (what I drive) if you are starting out, it may not be the most "trick" looking car, but its been around a 'coons age and has parts support everywhere, and you can borrow what ever you cant buy at the LHS.

The TC3 is really a good minimalist car, initially its really easy to set up (not as many adjustments). and can grow

The HPI Pro 4 is a great winner out of the box, and will go very far. It is a great "Technical car" with many small adjustments to make in order to fine tune a setup. However it is not as simple as the TC3 and if unfimilar with settung up a car, may do you more harm then good, and prevent you from pushing the car where it was designed to go.

I myself am looking up and after a season of racing my TC3 is leaving me looking for a bit more, I may upgrade it to a Demon Chasis, or just spring for an Xray kit
Speedyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you are new to touring car racing then get the TC3. You will hit stuff (even if you are an experienced racer in other types of classes) and possibly break stuff along the way. Assure that your hobby shop has parts for whatever car you do decide to buy. The worst thing is to break and not be able to continue racing in the next heat because you don't have a part.
ddesros2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:49 AM   #25
Tech Adept

SammyXP....

I don't think there is any way to prove anything, one way or the other. I have built and rebuilt plenty of Tc3's. The parts fit of them has definately degraded over the years (it's been like 5 now). Yes the new diff cases are better, but still not that great. They still need to be relieved where the outdrive bearings sit. Many other parts need to be reamed, shimmed, or sanded to get a slop free, or non-binding fit. By comparison, if you build a B4 or T4, the parts fit is much better than a TC3, because all of the molds are much newer. It's not something that is easily measured or proven by a kit builder, but it IS batently obvious. I really love Associated kits..... I own nearly every one of them released in the last 15 years. But The quality and fit of the PRO4 is a CLEAR step above the FTTC3, right now. The HPI drivetrain is very, very free for a brand new car. Just follow the directions and bolt it together. No grinding away with the dremel. The chassis is also not likely to tweak with motor heat after a couple months. like the Associated is. If your track is suited for a oneway, the HPI is an advantage, because one is included. Oneway's tend to be pricey so this is a big saving's.

The Associated is still an awesome car, honestly. But HPI looked at it closely and improved upon the same basic design in nearly every area. I'm lucky that my LHS stocks all of the Pro4 parts, so the choice is very easy for me. If you can't get parts easily, than the Associated is probably the better choice.
Bodido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #26
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was kind of in the same boat,I am looking for a new sedan for this years indoor racing and I wanted a shaft drive car,I was choosing between the tc3,pro4,yokomo and the tamiya evo4! I went ahead and ordered up the evo4 by tamiya! I hope I made a good choice!
Joe Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #27
Tech Adept

I also wanted to add that I have owned a tc3 and love it,I have also raced a xxx-s,I was just looking for a newer car with more options
Joe Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

Quote:
Originally posted by TCRacerPro
Go for a TC3 if you just started racing touring car. becuz u get more parts for it. pro 4 is good for racing. they both dominate.
You can trick out the TC3 more than the Pro 4...
What chassis is that? A new chassis might make me interested in electric touring again
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to JDXray

I am not sure which chassis that is either but i think its the IRS chassis, i might be wrong.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:43 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Well guys, I made my decision and purchased a car. I ended up going with the Pro4. Given that the cars are very similar in performance and price, and that my track has excellent part support for the Pro4, I went with the Pro4 because it is slightly more configurable at the track (out of the box) and honestly, I like its look better.

Thank-you all for your input, it was extremely helpful in making this decision.

-Woodward
woodward is offline   Reply With Quote