R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Hudy system discontinued???

Dropped by a couple of RC stores in Hong Kong today and they're saying that the Hudy setup system is being discontinued, at least in Hong Kong they will not be getting anymore stock. I would imagine with the popularity of the system, Hudy wouldn't be discontinuing it unless they have a new system coming out. Any news?
Silvercomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

there is a reason for that.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dontfeelcold
there is a reason for that.
and that is >>>>
war11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

By the time you take it out of the box the 2nd time it is worn out and is off by as much as a full degree. If you set a car, pull it off and put it back on you will get diffrent settings than when you took it off.

You will not find a Hudy system in the pit box of any pro racer. Not even the Xray guys use it.

I have been racing for 18 years and I did buy a Hudy system when it came out. I used it about half a dozen times until i saw it would not yield consistent measurements. I sold it off for nothing and broke out my trusty RPM camber gage.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
By the time you take it out of the box the 2nd time it is worn out and is off by as much as a full degree. If you set a car, pull it off and put it back on you will get diffrent settings than when you took it off.

You will not find a Hudy system in the pit box of any pro racer. Not even the Xray guys use it.

I have been racing for 18 years and I did buy a Hudy system when it came out. I used it about half a dozen times until i saw it would not yield consistent measurements. I sold it off for nothing and broke out my trusty RPM camber gage.
me too adrian!
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Cardboard

is the integy one any better?
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM

There is another note somewhere in here that I VENTED about Hudy/Serpent concerning their set-up board system. The total lack of support when I wanted to replace all the metal parts, their answer was to buy a new Hudy plastic pieces and the metal bearings/etc would come with it. I still have it but don't rely on it as much as I did at one time.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Its a little bit less fraglie....but all of these tools are aimed at new racers that are into cool gadgets. After a while you will get tired of setting up and tearing it down or you just realize that there are simpler means if getting the same results.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Okay, I'm glad I've heard that now. I was almost gonna buy a HUDY system. Thank god I didn't. I want to know if the Integy one is any better?? What's the verdict??

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Okay, I'm glad I've heard that now. I was almost gonna buy a HUDY system. Thank god I didn't. I want to know if the Integy one is any better?? What's the verdict??
No, the integy one is not any better. Last Friday after setting up my car with integy station. I noticed something wasn't Right, I switched to RPM gauge and the camber was 2-3* off...
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo

Quote:
Originally posted by True R/C Racing
No, the integy one is not any better. Last Friday after setting up my car with integy station. I noticed something wasn't Right, I switched to RPM gauge and the camber was 2-3* off...
So the verditct is grab yourself some tight asse droop blocks, a ride height gauge, and RPM gauge for ur camber and verniers for your toe in, toe out. So much cheaper, reliable and quicker to use
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

Adrian:

honestly if you can wear out those sprung steel/lexan setup pieces by using it twice then i would say that the user end is at fault; not the product. pieces will wear over time, not arguing this point. but it is hard for me to believe that your hudy unit is off after only 2 uses.

Nova:

been through this before. sorry to hear you didnt get anywhere with serpent/hudy. but again i didnt have any problems getting a whole replacement from them (one of my camber rectangles was cracked).

F Alonso and others who need a setup equipment:

The integy or hudy system is fine. i've seen the integy and hudy before buying one and they will both serve you well. Personally i like my hudy cuz it is more complete.

The important thing when using this system is to make sure that the setup gauge is flat against the hex adaptor for tourers before taking any measurements. if you need to, secure the gauge by tightening the wheel nut to take a reading(integy includes a larger and handier wheel nut).

You can go with the economic alternative that other suggested and buy a camber gauge and then some droop blocks, ride height gauge, and droop gauge.

And for any system (hudy, integy, or just an RPM gauge), a flat surface is a must for consistent measurements.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
Adrian:

honestly if you can wear out those sprung steel/lexan setup pieces by using it twice then i would say that the user end is at fault; not the product. pieces will wear over time, not arguing this point. but it is hard for me to believe that your hudy unit is off after only 2 uses.

Nova:

been through this before. sorry to hear you didnt get anywhere with serpent/hudy. but again i didnt have any problems getting a whole replacement from them (one of my camber rectangles was cracked).

F Alonso and others who need a setup equipment:

The integy or hudy system is fine. i've seen the integy and hudy before buying one and they will both serve you well. Personally i like my hudy cuz it is more complete.

The important thing when using this system is to make sure that the setup gauge is flat against the hex adaptor for tourers before taking any measurements. if you need to, secure the gauge by tightening the wheel nut to take a reading(integy includes a larger and handier wheel nut).

You can go with the economic alternative that other suggested and buy a camber gauge and then some droop blocks, ride height gauge, and droop gauge.

And for any system (hudy, integy, or just an RPM gauge), a flat surface is a must for consistent measurements.
Whoa Tex.... they quoted me a price of $35 for each piece I wanted to replace, all I wanted was to replace the %&^%% bearings $140 is a bit steep doncha think??

Well, for me it is.... Maybe for you it isn't....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Okay, I think I'm all a bit bamboozled by this. I had always heard that the HUDY and Integy setup stations were great with the only problem being with the clear Hudy station being hard to read. I certainly hadn't read anything about the system being 'tweaked' after a couple of uses, let alone 'tweaked' at all. So I do find it quite hard to believe. I do have some friends who have setup stations (Integy) so I might see if I can have a go with it tonight at racing and we'll see what happens then.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #15
Tech Regular

I can personally vouch for the Integy system. I've had it for about a year and so far, it appears to still be accurate. I use it inconjunction with a Tamiya set up board to get consistent results.

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Okay, I think I'm all a bit bamboozled by this. I had always heard that the HUDY and Integy setup stations were great with the only problem being with the clear Hudy station being hard to read. I certainly hadn't read anything about the system being 'tweaked' after a couple of uses, let alone 'tweaked' at all. So I do find it quite hard to believe. I do have some friends who have setup stations (Integy) so I might see if I can have a go with it tonight at racing and we'll see what happens then.
KiwiKid is offline   Reply With Quote