R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2004, 05:03 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 34
Default Hudy system discontinued???

Dropped by a couple of RC stores in Hong Kong today and they're saying that the Hudy setup system is being discontinued, at least in Hong Kong they will not be getting anymore stock. I would imagine with the popularity of the system, Hudy wouldn't be discontinuing it unless they have a new system coming out. Any news?
Silvercomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Tech Master
 
dontfeelcold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where there's smoke there's a tyre
Posts: 1,721
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

there is a reason for that.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic
 
war11x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Posts: 880
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by dontfeelcold
there is a reason for that.
and that is >>>>
war11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:32 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

By the time you take it out of the box the 2nd time it is worn out and is off by as much as a full degree. If you set a car, pull it off and put it back on you will get diffrent settings than when you took it off.

You will not find a Hudy system in the pit box of any pro racer. Not even the Xray guys use it.

I have been racing for 18 years and I did buy a Hudy system when it came out. I used it about half a dozen times until i saw it would not yield consistent measurements. I sold it off for nothing and broke out my trusty RPM camber gage.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Tony Rivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kissimmee, Fl
Posts: 2,284
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
By the time you take it out of the box the 2nd time it is worn out and is off by as much as a full degree. If you set a car, pull it off and put it back on you will get diffrent settings than when you took it off.

You will not find a Hudy system in the pit box of any pro racer. Not even the Xray guys use it.

I have been racing for 18 years and I did buy a Hudy system when it came out. I used it about half a dozen times until i saw it would not yield consistent measurements. I sold it off for nothing and broke out my trusty RPM camber gage.
me too adrian!
__________________
The "Dominican Assassin"
Sorry for the Spelling but you know what I mean.
Tony Rivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
Cardboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Flushing,NYC
Posts: 843
Send a message via AIM to Cardboard
Default

is the integy one any better?
Cardboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:55 PM   #7
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
By the time you take it out of the box the 2nd time it is worn out and is off by as much as a full degree. If you set a car, pull it off and put it back on you will get diffrent settings than when you took it off.

You will not find a Hudy system in the pit box of any pro racer. Not even the Xray guys use it.

I have been racing for 18 years and I did buy a Hudy system when it came out. I used it about half a dozen times until i saw it would not yield consistent measurements. I sold it off for nothing and broke out my trusty RPM camber gage.
There is another note somewhere in here that I VENTED about Hudy/Serpent concerning their set-up board system. The total lack of support when I wanted to replace all the metal parts, their answer was to buy a new Hudy plastic pieces and the metal bearings/etc would come with it. I still have it but don't rely on it as much as I did at one time.
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Its a little bit less fraglie....but all of these tools are aimed at new racers that are into cool gadgets. After a while you will get tired of setting up and tearing it down or you just realize that there are simpler means if getting the same results.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Tech Elite
 
F. Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,141
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso
Default

Okay, I'm glad I've heard that now. I was almost gonna buy a HUDY system. Thank god I didn't. I want to know if the Integy one is any better?? What's the verdict??
__________________
Simon Feigl
RCRacer.com.au - Dedicated Australian Forum and Website

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:14 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,828
Send a message via AIM to True R/C Racing
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Okay, I'm glad I've heard that now. I was almost gonna buy a HUDY system. Thank god I didn't. I want to know if the Integy one is any better?? What's the verdict??
No, the integy one is not any better. Last Friday after setting up my car with integy station. I noticed something wasn't Right, I switched to RPM gauge and the camber was 2-3* off...
True R/C Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:20 PM   #11
Tech Addict
 
Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: If Nissan Motorsport is Nismo, Then Honda Motorsport must be Homo
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by True R/C Racing
No, the integy one is not any better. Last Friday after setting up my car with integy station. I noticed something wasn't Right, I switched to RPM gauge and the camber was 2-3* off...
So the verditct is grab yourself some tight asse droop blocks, a ride height gauge, and RPM gauge for ur camber and verniers for your toe in, toe out. So much cheaper, reliable and quicker to use
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #12
Tech Addict
 
icon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 527
Send a message via AIM to icon
Default

Adrian:

honestly if you can wear out those sprung steel/lexan setup pieces by using it twice then i would say that the user end is at fault; not the product. pieces will wear over time, not arguing this point. but it is hard for me to believe that your hudy unit is off after only 2 uses.

Nova:

been through this before. sorry to hear you didnt get anywhere with serpent/hudy. but again i didnt have any problems getting a whole replacement from them (one of my camber rectangles was cracked).

F Alonso and others who need a setup equipment:

The integy or hudy system is fine. i've seen the integy and hudy before buying one and they will both serve you well. Personally i like my hudy cuz it is more complete.

The important thing when using this system is to make sure that the setup gauge is flat against the hex adaptor for tourers before taking any measurements. if you need to, secure the gauge by tightening the wheel nut to take a reading(integy includes a larger and handier wheel nut).

You can go with the economic alternative that other suggested and buy a camber gauge and then some droop blocks, ride height gauge, and droop gauge.

And for any system (hudy, integy, or just an RPM gauge), a flat surface is a must for consistent measurements.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #13
Tech Champion
 
Nova F1 Racer's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Peoples Republic of Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,682
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by icon
Adrian:

honestly if you can wear out those sprung steel/lexan setup pieces by using it twice then i would say that the user end is at fault; not the product. pieces will wear over time, not arguing this point. but it is hard for me to believe that your hudy unit is off after only 2 uses.

Nova:

been through this before. sorry to hear you didnt get anywhere with serpent/hudy. but again i didnt have any problems getting a whole replacement from them (one of my camber rectangles was cracked).

F Alonso and others who need a setup equipment:

The integy or hudy system is fine. i've seen the integy and hudy before buying one and they will both serve you well. Personally i like my hudy cuz it is more complete.

The important thing when using this system is to make sure that the setup gauge is flat against the hex adaptor for tourers before taking any measurements. if you need to, secure the gauge by tightening the wheel nut to take a reading(integy includes a larger and handier wheel nut).

You can go with the economic alternative that other suggested and buy a camber gauge and then some droop blocks, ride height gauge, and droop gauge.

And for any system (hudy, integy, or just an RPM gauge), a flat surface is a must for consistent measurements.
Whoa Tex.... they quoted me a price of $35 for each piece I wanted to replace, all I wanted was to replace the %&^%% bearings $140 is a bit steep doncha think??

Well, for me it is.... Maybe for you it isn't....
__________________
This is DICK!!! And you're NOT!
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #14
Tech Elite
 
F. Alonso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,141
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso
Default

Okay, I think I'm all a bit bamboozled by this. I had always heard that the HUDY and Integy setup stations were great with the only problem being with the clear Hudy station being hard to read. I certainly hadn't read anything about the system being 'tweaked' after a couple of uses, let alone 'tweaked' at all. So I do find it quite hard to believe. I do have some friends who have setup stations (Integy) so I might see if I can have a go with it tonight at racing and we'll see what happens then.
__________________
Simon Feigl
RCRacer.com.au - Dedicated Australian Forum and Website

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #15
Tech Regular
 
KiwiKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SG
Posts: 458
Default

I can personally vouch for the Integy system. I've had it for about a year and so far, it appears to still be accurate. I use it inconjunction with a Tamiya set up board to get consistent results.

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Alonso
Okay, I think I'm all a bit bamboozled by this. I had always heard that the HUDY and Integy setup stations were great with the only problem being with the clear Hudy station being hard to read. I certainly hadn't read anything about the system being 'tweaked' after a couple of uses, let alone 'tweaked' at all. So I do find it quite hard to believe. I do have some friends who have setup stations (Integy) so I might see if I can have a go with it tonight at racing and we'll see what happens then.
KiwiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hudy ALL-IN-ONE Set-up System for 1/10 yle00984 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 10 06-10-2008 06:43 PM
Hudy set-up system Goggles Paesan R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 12 02-10-2007 04:22 PM
Hudy Set Up System, Integy Set Up System, Novak Smart Tray, Trinity Dyna Pulse Superfly1967 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 12-22-2005 06:17 PM
Hudy Setup System and Digital Weight Monitoring System racer rich R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 16 02-23-2005 07:56 AM
Hudy set up system ooohoney43 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 01-31-2005 07:00 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:35 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net