R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Please please post your feedback on these systems, I was nearly gonna ditch out that money to buy the Hudy system before they'r all gone here in Hong Kong.
Silvercomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:47 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

I think the Hudy System has only one use on an electric touring car...which is front toe. That hardly makes it worth $120 if you will only be using it for electric.

I also race gas, though, for which I think the Hudy system is extremely valuable.

I don't know how HUDY's quality is all of the sudden coming into question, but I will say right now that I have used my station for a few years and have never once had any kind of problem with consistency. The only thing that I can see making a HUDY station inconsistent is excessive slop in a car...not in the setup blocks. The only slop that can develop on the Hudy blocks is where the triangle plate connects to the rectangular plate...and that does not even throw any measurements off when placed on a surface, because the slop moves front to back, not side to side. Toe measurements cannot be skewed...the toe plates are connected directly to the car. Also...the plates do not "tweek," especially after a couple of uses.

I can see that the Xray drivers do not use the station, as their new car uses c-hubs, which do not require any type of sophisticated set-up station.

I know that I will not ever buy the "trusty" rpm camber gauge again. I purchased two of them, and neither of them were even flat at the bottom. As far as camber gauges go, I prefer the serpent camber gauge (but I don't acually own one).

I use my Hudy set up station, and I would not sell it if someone offered me full price for it.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:50 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

You cannot make a sweeping statement on the setup systems.

There are lots of setup systems out there, and surely they work otherwise factory drivers and many hobbyists won't be using them.

The only inaccuracy I can see from such systems boils down to the cars' own inability to maintain their settings due to play in the suspension.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #19
Tech Elite

The setup system may have been discontinued in lieu of a newer updated system to account for all the tourers out there.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have used both the Hudy, and the Integy. I have found them to be VERY accurate. The problems I have seen when others use them is inconcistancy in using the setup stations. When you measure your car, always have the battery in it. Lightly pull the front of the tires in for the toe adjustments. Cycle the suspension up and down a few times before re-adjusting the cars camber. And most importantly, put the whole station on. I have seen so many people using only half of the kit. I find the camber plates to be less accurate, because of bent wheels, and kinda guessing at whether the guage is even with the board, and the wheel, or the tire sticking out a little adding neg camber. I did go throught the integy to tighten up the slop in the bearing retainers (lightly sanding on the brass spacer worked best).
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:53 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Well......just received email from Serpent USA...

Serpent USA will no longer market and or support the Hudy and Xray product lines anymore....
AlanLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #22
Tech Master

I use to have a Hudy but sold it, then bought an Integy. I like it better because I find it easier to read. Since it is made of thick aluminum, it's very durable and nitro fuel can't harm it. Did I mention it is half the price of a Hudy?
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:58 AM   #23
Tech Adept

I have had my Hudy station for almost 2 years now, and have never had any problems with it. It always gives consistent and accurate results. The only problem as mentioned by others, is the slop in cars themselves.
g4t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by AlanLim
Well......just received email from Serpent USA...

Serpent USA will no longer market and or support the Hudy and Xray product lines anymore....
This is not news, they didn't support them before!!!!!!!

It would be news if they STARTED to support them....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #25
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default On mytsn.com site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serpent USA Inc.
2834 NW 79 Ave.
Miami 33122, Florida
United States Tel: 305-639 9665
Fax: 305-639 9658
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.serpent-usa.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: Ed Enberg (US)
Created: 07.27.04

Serpent USA Press Release

Distribution of Hudy / Xray Products
Dear Customers,

Effective immediately, Serpent USA will no longer market and or support the Hudy and Xray product lines. For future orders, customer service, and technical support we suggest you contact Hudy directly via e-mail at [email protected], phone 011421 327440 180, fax 011421 327440 179.

We apologize for the inconvenience this will create, and appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Serpent USA
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I have been using the Hudy system for a little over 2 years and I could not live without it. It's extremely accurate and very easy to use. I hate how it scratches so easily but that's my fault.
As far as other drivers saying the the unit is not accurate or gives you different reading every time you use it, I feel there is a reasonable answer.
It is important that you use a flat, level surface. Any set up board will work as long as it is flat and level.
There are many cases, using the Hudy set up system, when you will get different readings...but for a good reason...in all cars there is some play or slop. In using a devise as accurate as the Hudy, the slop, no matter how small will show up causing what most feel is an inaccurate reading.
Hope this helps!!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:34 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Gazza_D

There is a new set up system coming out from Hudy. The new system is made from aluminium coated a nice black, and has white markings, so no more problems trying to read the dam things

The new system also comes with its own twaek station....very trick and the whole lot comes in its own aluminium flight/carry case along with the droop and ride height gauges and the set up board

Bet it wont be cheap though but it looks real cool
Gazza_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just an observation I have made:

When using both the Hudy and Integy setup stations I noticed that Adrian is 100% correct about getting different results each time. The main reason is even in a brand new kit there is a good amount of play in each ball cup. with the scale of these cars less than a MM will change the settings a fraction of a degree. So now imagine your TC3 or XXXs or Xray or in my case my Mi2 thats got several packs or in some case several hundred packs through it. The amount of slop in the linkage is unreal. If you dont believe me, put your car on the setup board with all the pretty plastic pieces on there, hold one tire where its suppoesed to be ( as far as front toe) and watch the total range of motion that the other tire moves. I have seen this up to 2 degrees...how can u measure this stuff accurately with that kind of tolerance?

you cant.

I spent the money a while ago on the hudy and i honestly think i should have put that money towards tires.

Bob Barry
Old 07-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default What should pepople use to setup their car

From the post i heard that some pepople thing those setup tool do not work as consistant.
may I ask what should people use to setup thier car?
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Setup tools work best on cars that have pivot ball suspension.
PSI Racing is offline   Reply With Quote