R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Sprint 2 sport or drift?!?!? Help please!

Hello everyone! I will introduce my self tomorrow or so. But I hope someone can help me with this question. Im getting ready to order the HPI Sprint 2 sport or drift tomorrow ( thats why this seems rushed). But I have a few questions. I cant decide which one to buy!!!!

My main question is: If I buy the sprint 2 sport, just by throwing some HPI drift tires on it, will it be an okay drifter? I do not enter any competitions or anything. Im just asking will it drift good enough to have fun with in a parking lot or driveway?

And, what are the differences between the sport and drift ( besides tires and 190mm and 200mm). Sorry if this seems rushed. Thank you VERY much for your help!!
SubarooMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Tech Adept

I hope this is in the correct section. If not I am sorry
Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As far as I know, the only difference between the two is tires and body. The springs may be different too, but I haven't been able to find any specs on the stock springs.

both cars come with front and rear gear diffs. Ball diffs, and oneways are upgrades.

It is a decent car, but order up the RPM 73372 ball cups at the same time, the stock ones are pretty sloppy.
ebruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
Tech Adept

I just found something on the motors. I think that the drift has a 15T motor and the sport has a 20T. Does that make one faster then the other?

Also, the sport has a 200mm body. But If i wanted to use a 200mm body on a 190mm chassis, do I just need to get a different offset wheel and im good to go?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Yes & yes.
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Lol thanks for your help guys. Ok. My FINAL question! Whoohoo...lol.

If I want to drift sometime and want a touring car sometimes, all i will need to do is switch out the tires, correct? Remember, I dont compete. I only like the tear up my drive way and the street lol.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Xmod_Racer Send a message via MSN to Xmod_Racer

if your just messing around on the street DO NOT go with an open belt drivetrain like the one in the sprint. Ive seen first hand what a street can do to the diffs on the sprint. Go with a shaft drive car like a tc3 or tc4 or a tamiya shaft drive car. I picked up a tb02 for $70 on ebay
Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The problem with the Sprint isnt the diffs but the way the bulkheads come around & cover the diffs. When a rock or any road trash gets scooped up by the chassis it tends to go right in between the diff & the bulkhead cover, where it tears up the belt and/or freezes up the drivetrain. The fix for this is to just cut the "cover" areas from the bulkheads so if something gets scooped up it cant get stuck behind the diff/belt. I'll post picts of mine once I get home.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I just looked up the TC4. With the TC4 could I still use HPI bodies and HPI wheels etc? because they have a nice selection. Also with some drift tires, will the TC4 drift ok for fun too?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I mean... I REALLY want to sprint 2 because it looks a lot nicer and HPI has awesome parts for it. And, as long as i keep the belt clean and stuff will it be ok? The TC4 just looks cheap and not as nice...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only time I had issues with mine jamming up was before I cut the bulkheads out. I run mine on the local high school parking lot which is in no way clean and I haven't ruined a belt yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Sprint 2 sport or drift?!?!? Help please!-sprintf.jpg   Sprint 2 sport or drift?!?!? Help please!-sprintr.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by [amp] View Post
The only time I had issues with mine jamming up was before I cut the bulkheads out. I run mine on the local high school parking lot which is in no way clean and I haven't ruined a belt yet.
Ahhh thank you for those pictures sir! Sprint 2 drift it is then! But if i decide to have some "grippy" fun, if I throw on some HPI rubber grip tires, will she more or less act like a normal rc car ( no always going sideways ). Tires like the sport has i mean.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Tech Initiate

Hi Mike,

I think the Sprint is a good option for you. I used mine as a drift car for a year or so and then changed the motor to an 8.5t and tyres to Sweep rubbers and used it as a touring car up until I got my Cyclone TC.
The Sprint is a good basher and as others have said, its a good idea to cut out the diff covers to allow stones etc to pass through and not break the belts.

Regards.
BangkokBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Thank you everyone for your help! I appreciate it