R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-25-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Blakesrc
Default Indoor Track Surface Options?

Hey Guys,

There is a new shop and indoor track opening up near me and the owners are trying to decide on the track surface. Obviously Assphalt and Carpet are the easy options. One of the things they are worried about with carpet is if sombody wants to mess around on a rainy day with an offroad truck and mini pins, will it tear/fray the ozite? I believe assphalt is a bit expensive as well. Something i thought I had seen mentioned on this board over the last year was some sort of garage floor anti slip textured surface that you can put down with a roller. Anyone ever see something like that or know of some other options? The floor is currently super smooth/slick polished concrete.

Thanks,

Blake
Blakesrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

no, the carpet iwll be fine on the ocasional rainy day. I wouldent make a habit of it all the time tho.
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:51 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I've also run on textured concrete. It has great traction and a lot of parking lots are made that way in indutrial parks out here in CA. I don't know if there are any downfalls to using it, but it might be something worth looking in to; I love racing on it, sems like it would be easy for indoor.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:53 AM   #4
Tech Elite

I've also seen clubs that run on wood; like a basketball court. I've never done it, but it seems to be very common in the UK. They might do it because of location issues, but another idea worth looking in to.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:57 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

wat are they planning to run you could always go with a hard clay track
anderley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:10 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Thanks for the responses!

Anderly:

We will be running sedan, 1/12th and 1/10th oval.

Edseb:

The surface you mentioned, did it seem like the concrete had the texture put on when it was poured or something that was coated on after?

Thanks,

Blake
Old 07-25-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

carpet is all around the easiest to take care of.
Kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:20 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Pballkid:

I would love to get carpet in there but they want to see what their other options are first.

Thanks,

Blake
Old 07-25-2004, 01:23 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

It sounds good guys
Mr-V-One-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 04:35 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

carpet.... Fanfare is a great RC carpet. I believe it is less expensive than ozite.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:42 AM   #11
Tech Master

anyone know what primafelt carpet grip is like?
were using T27 tyres so any help with inserts would be appreciated.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #12
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Riders Hobbies in Kalamazoo, MI ran Oval on painted concrete back in 91. They used black paint in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed in sand. I don't know what the ratio was though. it was the cheapest solution. worked great for my 12L when I put 4 cell on the inside of the chassis.

Fanfair might be cheaper but the FUZZ factor stinks. I was still finding fuzz bunnies on my TC3 as recent as a month ago on the outdoor pavement track. although I guess I should do more maintance on it. if it ain't sbroke don't fix it right?

If you got the money stick with the ozite from CRC I will be ordering and extra 100 foot for the local track this week to make it a little bigger. It's $480 for a 100 x 12 foot roll. buy two of them cut them into 33 foot strips and you got a 33 x 72 foot track. or buy another and you have 50 x 72 which is quite big.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Wow, a lot more info than i was expecting, thanks guys.

Nashrcracer, Since you just bought some ozite, was that priced per roll shipped?

Thanks,

Blake
Old 07-25-2004, 08:30 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Stay away from Fanfair.... its OK (after the white dust goes away) for a short while but it falls apart fast. We ripped that up and bought some of CRC's new Fasttrack and it is much better. High grip, no dust and no fuzz. The delivered price was less with the CRC stuff than Fanfair.
Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #15
Tech Master

let me be of some help.

carpet is awesome to run on from a racers point of view.
as a track owner though carpet does not last forever and the surface you lay it down on better be flat and smooth!

carpet needs to be replaced,carpet will tear when some hack trys to run 3 mm ride height on his touring car.

your avg racer complains about buying foam tires for the touring cars because 9 times out of 10 he cant use the foams outdoors. rubber tires seem to hold up well for the avg racer longer than foams because they hit every board out on the track and chunk there tires every run.

asphault if done correctly will last forever! you can use both foams and rubber tires on it. ride height is no longer an issue. now that same hack just scrapes his chassis on the track.

you can run anything on asphault compared to carpet. monster trucks,off road buggies,nitro,oval,pan,12th scale,touring cars. the sky is the limit not the surface!

it will run about 3000.00 to smooth out the surface below the carpet,buy the carpet and have it laid down by a professional at the very least. this will have to be done every few years as long as the track has a attendance. asphault will run triple that to be done right but will not need to be touched again.

concrete indoors would not be an option..the concrete roar touring nationals sounds wordy to me?
UCHEATULOSE is offline   Reply With Quote