R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Fun Complicated AWD Onroad Brushless kits?

Hi all-

I love building RC cars almost more than driving them. I have a Tamiya M05 Mini cooper and a TT01 Skyline thats been converted to an HPI VTA Camaro. I have EZrun brushless setups with 3000kv and 7.2 lipo sticks for them but they're a bit slow for my liking so I ordered some 4300kv Tacon Motors.

I'd like to build a real touring car with 4wd. Something nimble that can handle brushless speeds and running on not so perfect streets. I have been eyeballing the Hot Bodies TC lineup. What would you guys recommend for an onroad brushless rocket with some suspension to handle the street.

I already have a Slash 4x4 for bashing duty and an SC8 as well, just looking for a touring car I can do a lot of scale body work with for shelf duty and rip around with a basher body at stupid fast speeds.

The more complicated the build the better! Belt driven?

Thanks all!

My Current Lineup, some have been sold off:

daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Wink

you can make anything go fast. One of the guys at www.speedtechrc.com has a tl01 that does at least 60mph, so you don't really need another kit, you can ask them to make a pass too. But you can't go wrong with tamiya 416/417/ta05, hotbodies tcx/cyclone, associated tc6, all of which speedtech can get if they don't have in stock.

just admit it... you just want another kit.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
you can make anything go fast. One of the guys at www.speedtechrc.com has a tl01 that does at least 60mph, so you don't really need another kit, you can ask them to make a pass too. But you can't go wrong with tamiya 416/417/ta05, hotbodies tcx/cyclone, associated tc6, all of which speedtech can get if they don't have in stock.

just admit it... you just want another kit.

100% I want another kit to build, but something more 'hobby grade' than my TT01. I built a first gen RS4 back when I was younger and remember it being much more technical than anything tamiya made at the time.

My AE SC8 experience has been excellent, maybe the TC6 is a good call.

Thing is, whatever I get needs decent suspension. I will be running it on the street not carpet or perfect tarmac.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Tech Master

Any higher end TC will come with threaded shock bodies, so you can easily raise the ride height, which you will want to do to run on the street.

Sometimes I test ESC settings out on my street instead of waiting to go to the track. I have a TOP Photon. When driving on the street I just raise the ride height to around 6 or 7 mm. Fortunately my street is very well used, so there are hardly any pebbles on the road, except right near the curb and not much dust either. Pebbles suck. Even a grain of sand that gets into the wrong place, like lodged between teeth on your spur or pinion, can do damage easily.

Most high end TCs are not designed to get dirty. Most have open gears and some don't even have dust covers over the ball diffs. They certainly aren't ideal for running on unprepped, dusty surfaces. Just running my car on a pretty clean basketball court I nearly shredded a spur gear when a piece of sand got stuck in there. Fortunately I heard it and stopped right away. Using 48 pitch gears instead of 64P will help a bit, but that just means it will take a slightly larger grain of sand to muck it up.

If you are able to, take a leaf blower to the entire surface you plan to run on.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There's a thread a few pages back about TC chassis protectors a guy makes for most newer cars. A few bucks on one of them will save you a lot of headaches from damage caused by dirt and pebbles. When I got my JRXSR I went parking lot bashing Two pulley's, spur & pinion later I decided just to run it at the track
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote