R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Simple Orion V2 Question

On my motor It is set from the factory on the second purple bar from the right. I was told that this is the negative timing area. Does this mean that the big white bar between the white side and the purple side is the 0 timing area? If so, should I set this motor to the positive side?

Also, to remove the brushes I have to remove the hood correct?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've never seen anyone run negative timing before. Yes you do have to remove the endbell to remove the brushes.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:41 PM   #3
Tech Legend

Ok. So basically the purple area is the negative timing area, correct?

I will go ahead and set it on the third white line, for 18 degrees.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #4
mo
Tech Master

Sometimes the stickers aren't put on perfectly straight, so you can tell for sure where 0 degree is by looking at the motor mounting screw holes. 0 degrees will be right between the two grouped holes. What turn motor is it? The ideal timing will be different for differnt turn motors. I've seen them timed anywhere from 5 to 24 degrees. I haven't run those motors much so I'm not sure what they are running now but you can go to www.teamorion.com in there forum and find the info your looking for. Look for posts from Rick Howart, Joe Pillars or Oscar Jansen. I believe they have a whole section of there forum devoted to the V2 motors. Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:28 AM   #5
Tech Legend

I got some more info ont he motor. Since this is the peak version the color of the lines is backwards to what orion does. It is set to factory default 18 degrees.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #6
Tech Legend

Anyone have a link to recommended 4wd timing settings, in particular 4wd buggy settings for these motors? I hear that 10 degrees is what they use for trucks, I figure 12 degrees may be a good starting point. 18 degrees just gets too hot.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Tech Master

Cain,
What motor do you have?
Old 07-26-2004, 06:33 PM   #8
Tech Legend

I got the Peak Vantage Modified motor. It is the standard edition, nothing fancy. Its 12 x 2 .
Old 07-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #9
Tech Master

Ok, when you were asking on the Orion site about the timing marks you said what do the purple lines represent. And since the Hara motor is the only one with purple lines I thought that was the motor you had.
The Peak Vantage Modified motor has white lines for negative timing and blue lines for positive timing. Run the motor on the third blue line (18 degrees).
Old 07-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #10
mo
Tech Master

Joe, what would you time a 9x1 and a 10x1 v2 at in a sedan? This is for at Speedworld raceway. It's just a little shorter than the Tamiya track and the temps have been over 100 lately. Also, should I run sprint or enduro brushes for club racing (more than 1 run). Thanks. Are you coming up for the Losi race?
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 AM   #11
Tech Master

What version of motors do you have? This will have a big effect on timing. I would try both brushes and see what you like. Sprints will be faster, but you will need to cut the comm every 4 to 6 runs. You can probably get close to 10 with enduros. I'm not sure if I am coming up there yet. It depends how many drivers we have up there.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:38 AM   #12
Tech Legend

I am part color blind ( have trouble with blue and purple ) so its all blue for me .

So 18 degrees is what I should run then huh? I will give it a try again and go down a pinion size.

What is the recommended starting point in the "# over the wind" range? Right now if I go down again it will be 7 over the wind. 8 just came off too hot.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #13
mo
Tech Master

Joe I just have the standard black endbell, touring version. Also, what would you recommend for gearing. Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 10:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

i was curious too... i have the Peak Vantage 13x2, i assume the regular version, with a red endbell.

i didnt really see a timing mark to match up, unless i am just to use the center between the screws? is 18 degrees good for touring car? what if i put it in a 2wd buggy?

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 AM   #15
Tech Master

Cain- Yes, 18 degrees is the timing you will want to run with the modified version. With the touring version you can run the timing around 12 degrees.

These are good starting points for over the winds with the stock spur gears for Losi cars.

BK2 2wd- 9/10 over the wind
MF2 Truck- 7/8 over the wind
XXX4 4wd- 6-7 over the wind

Mo- Start with 2 1/2 lines of timing (approx. 15) The less timing you can run the better it is on the brushes. As far as gearing goes, that depends allot on the lay out. Start out 1 to 2 teeth less than what you would run with an old style motor.

Tamiyadriver- What color is the label on your motor red or blue?