R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Alright, its an old apple, and hasn't been in use for a while, so ill give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to copter Send a message via Yahoo to copter

I'm not familiar with Apple power supplies, but probably there is different wirings than in AT or ATX power supplies. Sure my last tip about draining capacitors will work just fine with it, but you need to look information about the wirings. My previous posts above about the wirings applies only into AT and ATX power supplies.

If it's very old, I mean something from from the first half of 90's, then same trick might apply as for AT power supplies. If it has hardware power switch, then try it all wires disconnected. If it starts running, then just measure it's +12V voltage and you should be fine, but if it doesn't start running, then try to add some load into +5V and start it again. If it starts now, then measure +12V and you should be fine. If these don't work, then I cannot help you. In this case Google might be your best friend for finding information about Apple power supplies.
copter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

Hey Copter,

I know for a fact that letting it sit a few hours won't do much. The only real way to discharge it is to short the power and ground connections with a bulb or resistor in between.

I chose not to discharge the caps and just assumed they were fully charged. Be careful, just don't touch the capacitors (you don't need to) and follow directions.

These power supplies can hold charge for months, years, even with the power off.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:27 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Ok here's one more picture from my power supply. Took one more day to get it here since I just added some more connectors to it. Now I have those +5V and +3.3V outputs too. I just tried it with my lathe and seemem to work just fine.

Red connector above black ground is +12V, then next to black is +5V and below it +3.3V. Need to mark those better with Dymo tomorrow at work. That trimmer with white wire is fan speed controller.

Hopefully you can see from that pic how I did mount the stuff. I just used dremel to cut that one plate for the first two connectors. Today I was lazy, so I just did put those two new connectors into that one big hole from which original wires were coming out. Connectors have plastic plates and between them is the case, so I just tightened those very well and they keep in their places without problems. I can take more pics from inside if needed.

Picture is located at http://www.teamentisetkuskit.com/alb...5/AUT10929.jpg

Sorry my cam is old and has a bad jpeg compression, nothing I can do about it.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to losixxx

how did you get 3.3 and 5 volts i have one i made 12 volts and i am making another and i whant to power a lathe
thanks

Last edited by losixxx; 07-29-2004 at 04:40 PM.
losixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

On the Board inside the PS there should be 3 rails, one 12 volt, one 5 volt and one 3.3 volt. It will say, you just run more wires from these points and then you can use any negative, I just tag any negative on to the Earth (ground). Jonathan
jonny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

+12V comes from the yellow wires, +5V comes from the red ones. Colour of +3.3V wires changes between manufacturers, but it's always there, so you just need to look for it. Usually all wire colours and their voltages are mentioned in manual or in that sticker that also tells other specs like amps.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:54 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to losixxx

would it be purple?
losixxx is offline   Reply With Quote