R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #16
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 645
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I will say TC6 but then again i am biased about my decision.

But from what i have heard from people the price factor along with the availability of parts is huge for them,

Mike
__________________
TEAM ASSOCIATED, SMC BATTERIES, REEDY MOTORS, JACO TIRES, RADIOPOST RADIOS, LRP ELECTRONICS, PROTOFORM BODIES, MAKITA POWER TOOLS, KICKER PEFORMANCE AUDIO, KOLORS BY KROPY, MUCH-, RSD
Mike Blackstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Tech Adept
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 123
Send a message via ICQ to Wolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdani View Post
sorry, i forget to specify, u are right they switch from xray t3 2010

anyway the tc6 here in italy is available since no more than 3 weeks,
but, as i told you, owners are allready very happy!

btw thare are even a consistant number of t3 2011, they are good as well but owners allready owned a t3 before...so not big change for theme!
Thanks. Glad hear that TC6 is a good car too, more (good) choice is always nice.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #18
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 177
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

NeeBee to the TC' world and was trying to also decide what to buy.

Parts- for the TC6 they will be available at all five of my LHS, T3 2011 only one carries them in stock and that store is 45mins away from where I live.

Price- the TC6 can be picked up for the highes price of $370 verses the T3 2011 for $480, with the extra cash from not buyin the T3 2011 ican added to a good esc and motor.

Performance-For me, the T3 2011 problebly has the TC6 covered on that but for a newbee like me all am gonna be doing is asphalt racing when my LHS puts fun runs together, so not taking it to serious right now.

So for me the TC6 fits the bill
s.l.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default

I would read the TC6 Thread, it seems that the kits are missing parts or something else is wrong. If you don't need a car right now I would wait before buying a TC6.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice
 
thercman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.l.c. View Post
Price- the TC6 can be picked up for the highes price of $370 verses the T3 2011 for $480, with the extra cash from not buyin the T3 2011 ican added to a good esc and motor.
That is a large price difference for cars that are practically identical in terms of materials. Of course Associated been around longer which gives them an edge in marketing etc. Anyway if both purchase had the same electronics that extra $100 could be used for extra tires, a-arms etc. So yes, I will probably stay an Associated guy. :-)
thercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
Tech Master
 
trerc's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,821
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
That is a large price difference for cars that are practically identical in terms of materials. Of course Associated been around longer which gives them an edge in marketing etc. Anyway if both purchase had the same electronics that extra $100 could be used for extra tires, a-arms etc. So yes, I will probably stay an Associated guy. :-)
Definitely NOTHING alike as far as materials go. Xray's fit and finish is gorgeous and their parts reek quality, you pay for what you get but you have to own both kits to know what I mean. I too was a long time Associated guy and have owned many of their kits over the years, I run Xray now and will pay the extra cash for their quality.
__________________
If it smells burnt up.. it's more than likely hot.. you don't have to touch it..
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #22
Tech Master
 
Buckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,503
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Definitely NOTHING alike as far as materials go. Xray's fit and finish is gorgeous and their parts reek quality, you pay for what you get but you have to own both kits to know what I mean. I too was a long time Associated guy and have owned many of their kits over the years, I run Xray now and will pay the extra cash for their quality.
Agreed, to a point. Sometimes what you get isn't worth what you pay for it. I'm willing to bet that you're not breaking parts like you used to, more because of proficiency than quality of any given maker of parts.

For ANY newbie, parts availability and cost will always be of major concern. SOME of the new TC6 kits have a few parts packing issues here and there, mostly with hardware. By no means has everyone that's purchased one been forced to suffer through an incomplete assembly. What kit doesn't have issues with parts packing or quality control from time to time? Not to mention everyone has had assembly manuals that have been AFU plenty of times. Practically everyone has had something go wrong with the first run of a new kit, too.

Associated has always sent me anything I've needed if it was missing from a kit going back to the gold pan dirt cars, just because I've called them or sent a polite email ASKING for the missing parts(remember that lost art of respectful communication?). Shouldn't have to, I agree, but we're all human, and it happens.

In any case, there's so much parts useage cross over with the TC5 that there are always options. Some kits change year to year and there isn't much cross over in parts useage, so that's a legitimate concern.

Either way, if one car were appreciably better than any other, ALL of the pros would be rolling one.

I say get whichever car YOU want that fits YOUR needs. Can't really go wrong with either one. The first car will tell you everything you'll want/need in your second one. The proficiency that you gain in the first season will render most of the parts availability issues a moot point. Until then, pick one, go fast, if something gets in your way, turn, and stock up on spares.
__________________
Tom Keith

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
wtcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,309
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Both cars are really fast. Maybe the X-Ray is stronger in event of crash or hitting the wall. But therefore the Asso is now so easy to drive and predictable, I didn't touch the wall since 500 laps, and that's no joke (with the TC5 I hit the wall every three laps). That saves spareparts as well! In Germany the TC6 is about 60 cheaper than the T3'2011. Thats enough spare parts for one year...
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #24
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thercman View Post
That is a large price difference for cars that are practically identical in terms of materials. Of course Associated been around longer which gives them an edge in marketing etc. Anyway if both purchase had the same electronics that extra $100 could be used for extra tires, a-arms etc. So yes, I will probably stay an Associated guy. :-)
Will you be the only TC6 at your track?
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice
 
thercman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 54
Default

I am not sure.... I believe a couple sponsored guys are running them. Haven't been out to any races at this track yet but I am going to scope out the competition this coming Saturday.
thercman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:20 AM   #26
Tech Rookie
 
Sidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Varese;Italy
Posts: 19
Default

X Ray and Associated are both good cars:
I prefer Associated because it has a lower price and it's easier to drive
Sidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #27
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I would read the TC6 Thread, it seems that the kits are missing parts or something else is wrong. If you don't need a car right now I would wait before buying a TC6.

Thats funny, because I purchased a T3 2011 and a TC6... the Xray T3 kit had 3 burred screws.. my TC6 had no issues at all.

The TC6 also included enough parts to build a Spool or a Ball Diff.
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #28
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Well, I was a AE customer for a long time, but Xray quality and continued improvements on each design feature won me over. Both have their pros and cons, but I think the T3'11 is a work of art. I like many of the design features. I think it's less prone to tweak because the hinge pins are not on the bulk heads. In my opinion Xray's R&D are worth the price. I'm an average driver and I've never broke anything. Its a very durable car. These days the nice thing is you can update the T3 series every year with just a few parts. Next year I don't see much for changes, but perhaps, upper deck, vertical camber link mounts, and may be shocks or toe blocks. I like the fact they try to improve the car. In my eyes, AE's not a serious R&D company anymore. I will agree they have some value in their kits. If you have the money you won't regret an Xray. Trust me, I'm not loyal to any brand name, just a great product, anyone can tell you how picky I am, lol, and I feel good I got one.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #29
Tech Adept
 
jackdani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Well, I was a AE customer for a long time, but Xray quality and continued improvements on each design feature won me over. Both have their pros and cons, but I think the T3'11 is a work of art. I like many of the design features. I think it's less prone to tweak because the hinge pins are not on the bulk heads. In my opinion Xray's R&D are worth the price. I'm an average driver and I've never broke anything. Its a very durable car. These days the nice thing is you can update the T3 series every year with just a few parts. Next year I don't see much for changes, but perhaps, upper deck, vertical camber link mounts, and may be shocks or toe blocks. I like the fact they try to improve the car. In my eyes, AE's not a serious R&D company anymore. I will agree they have some value in their kits. If you have the money you won't regret an Xray. Trust me, I'm not loyal to any brand name, just a great product, anyone can tell you how picky I am, lol, and I feel good I got one.

what about if you had bought the trf 417...think that is the state of art tight now..

it is true that xray have great quality, but to me it looks like they want you to pay too much for that...consider for example that a 450 euro car (t3 '11) come with plastic shoks body!!

isn't it ridiculous..
jackdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #30
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdani View Post
what about if you had bought the trf 417...think that is the state of art tight now..

it is true that xray have great quality, but to me it looks like they want you to pay too much for that...consider for example that a 450 euro car (t3 '11) come with plastic shoks body!!

isn't it ridiculous..
If it didn't work - yes, it would be ridiculous. But they do work, and I have spent very little money on broken parts on my car. Xray isn't cheap, but you almost never break anything.

I would rather spent money right now, and have a car that doesn't break in races, than having a cheap cars, that breaks every time it touches the track. (Not saying the Asso is just that, as I don't know)
__________________
Niklas Hansen
Team TCHobby / Team Upgrade-RC
Tamiya TRF417 / Speed Passion GT2.0 / Speed Passion V3 motors.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TC6 vs Xray T3 2011 lookieaefanboi Electric On-Road 50 10-30-2011 08:55 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:53 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net