R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
 
unsane_chimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 45
Default Sakura Zero S, IFMAR legal?

Hi guys. Is the Sakura zero s IFMAR legal? I'm looking to buy one to race in the local tournament and they say that it pretty much has to be IFMAR legal to race. I saw the chassis requirements listed in the IFMAR rules and it says no "flat-pan" style chassis'. I assume that means none of the carbon fiber board chassis? I'm not too familiar with the term "flat-pan", but I assume that's what it means? The chassis on the sakura is a two level setup, does that change it or am I limited to tub chassis'?
__________________
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
SchuMi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsane_chimera View Post
Hi guys. Is the Sakura zero s IFMAR legal? I'm looking to buy one to race in the local tournament and they say that it pretty much has to be IFMAR legal to race. I saw the chassis requirements listed in the IFMAR rules and it says no "flat-pan" style chassis'. I assume that means none of the carbon fiber board chassis? I'm not too familiar with the term "flat-pan", but I assume that's what it means? The chassis on the sakura is a two level setup, does that change it or am I limited to tub chassis'?
Would be legal for any EP TC racing in Aus...

(Except the new FF class as the 'S' is 4wd)
SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 185
Default

yes the car is allowed in the tc class.
flat-pan" style chassis is a chassis like the 1:12 scale. you have them also in 1:10 scalle.
toptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
unsane_chimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 45
Default

Thanks guys.

Would you recommend the Sakura over a TA05v2 for either 540pro, 17.5t or 10.5t brushless classes?
__________________
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
SchuMi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsane_chimera View Post
Thanks guys.

Would you recommend the Sakura over a TA05v2 for either 540pro, 17.5t or 10.5t brushless classes?
If you are going to run 17.5 or 10.5 you might want to get the Sakura Zero and not the 'S'.
SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
unsane_chimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuMi2 View Post
If you are going to run 17.5 or 10.5 you might want to get the Sakura Zero and not the 'S'.
Wouldn't be able to handle the power? Or just not competitive enough?
__________________
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
SchuMi2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsane_chimera View Post
Wouldn't be able to handle the power? Or just not competitive enough?
Reliability would be the big issue once you bolt in more power. I am going to put one together to run in our 21.5 class. I am sure it will be competitive in the lower classes like 540 without too many upgrades.
SchuMi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Tech Initiate
 
unsane_chimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchuMi2 View Post
Reliability would be the big issue once you bolt in more power. I am going to put one together to run in our 21.5 class. I am sure it will be competitive in the lower classes like 540 without too many upgrades.
I would have thought, after looking at the user manual for the zero s, that the gear diff would be stronger. it looks like its based on a traditional diff for a real car.

do you know of anyone putting a 17.5 or faster in a car with a gear diff? did they have major issues?
__________________
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 123
Send a message via ICQ to Wolf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsane_chimera View Post
I would have thought, after looking at the user manual for the zero s, that the gear diff would be stronger. it looks like its based on a traditional diff for a real car.

do you know of anyone putting a 17.5 or faster in a car with a gear diff? did they have major issues?
I've heard that someone put a 5.5T in it, with a front spool, seems to hold up well (at least for a day).
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

why not
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Tech Master
 
Madulla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,039
Default

Why wouldn't the Zero S hold up?? The only difference is the alloy bulkheads and frp chassis. The gear diff is what the Zero guys are upgrading too. Can't wait to get mine on the track to test.
Madulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net