R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

what's a schumacher thing ? Not breaking parts ?
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:14 PM   #32
Tech Master

Actually, from what one of my racing pals was telling me, thats true
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #33
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by lowline
Totally wrong any car can be fast and consistent it is the driver a tc3,xxx or whatever can be broken and a handful with lack of setup experience get a car you are comfortable with and go with it
Precisely, different strokes for different folks. I've known plenty of people who've tried a number of different cars, & always end up going back to their TC3's, & others who just never could get comfortable with them. And about the breakage thing, that's a lot like an old saying, about a man who want to his doctor saying "It hurts when I move my arm like this" & the doc says "Then don't move your arm like that." If you improve your driving skills, you'll reduce the chance of hitting things that'll damage your car(whatever car you have)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 PM   #34
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by MartinSorlie

Associated's answer is the most brilliant I have ever read.

"If you hit anything with enough force, it will break. Period."

HauntedMyst
I've had both the TC3 and the Xray and I can bust up a car like nobodies business I found them to be pretty equal in terms of breakage. The arms are the weak point on the TC3, the hubs and shocks on the Xray. Overall, I found the TC3 easier to work on and less expensive to repair and since I installed the RPM bumper and Buds wings and rear bumper, I haven't busted anything on it.

You got a good point there bro!!. Thumbs-up..
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #35
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Personally I think that parts wearing out is more of a problem then parts breaking on the TC3...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Xray may release a new car every year, but you they could have just as easily left the car at the T1 stage and still been competitive. They could have released small hopups or relied on third party companies to make hopup parts for their car and develop a huge race team and marketed the car agressively...

Or.. they could take the approach that they did...take a good design andn tweak it...and released the tweaked kit as a finished package. You can upgrade your existing kit, or buy the full package...but even if you don't upgrade you still have a competitive kit.

An Xray T1 is still a more competitive kit than many of the other 'current kits' that are on the market...the Evo 2 just made a goodo thing better and the Factory kit took it another step.

The touring cars currently on the market are pretty much all capable of competing and winning, ultimately it's up to the driver. Bashing a car because they continuouosly engineer and tweak it vs. having it stay the same and forcing racers to mill out the chassis, run other brand components and go to third party hopups to stay competitive just doesn't make sense to me
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #37
Tech Master

Did anyone with arm breaking issues think to try plastic arms?

I've stuck with Graphite v2's because I've never had a problem. Were the arms you guys broke V1's or V2's?
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to onebeatuptc3

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Did anyone with arm breaking issues think to try plastic arms?

I've stuck with Graphite v2's because I've never had a problem. Were the arms you guys broke V1's or V2's?

both, but ive only run the composite, never the graphite. but it also broke because of how fast i was going, not enuff dual rate going through a small left turn going fast, thats not a good equation right there. But on mine it was always the right front, even tho the left front would get more of a beating going through the right turn sweeper. One thing tho, the tc3 still runs fast on three wheels,
onebeatuptc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

I am very new to RC racing so let's just say I hit a lot of walls.

My first race was on Tuesday and I have a FT TC3. I broke my graphite arm and replaced it with a plastic one. Then in the main, I also broke that plastic arm. I was in 2nd place but couldn't finish the race ... sucky.

I came home and started looking at all these wider bumpers. I've seen 4 items:

BRP wide front bumper
BRP wide rear bumper
BRP nerf wings
RPM wide front bumper

I made my own nerf wings out of some plastic box I found at HomeDepot for 60c. They look OK and I put bumper foam on them. All the better. I was wondering a few things:

1) The BRP bumper is bigger but doesn't have "crash impact zones" like the RPM bumper. Does anyone have the BRP front bumper and think it works pretty well? The design makes me worried about breaking my diff case or something.
2) The only time you would need nerf wings is if you hit a corner and it got wedged between the front and back wheels, correct?
3) When you guys know a crash is certain, do you let go of the wheel and straighten out the wheels? I wonder if I am doing more damage to the car by crashing into a wall with the wheel turned.

Thank you for answering my questions,
Newb
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to CA$H's son

WHY A TC3 ? this thread askes thats quiet simple
i bought a team Tc3 with threaded shocks and i had it for 4 weekends of runnin this is the fastest car ive ever owned
ive put a barry bakers setup off the AE site and this car is smokin
so the next time u say WHY A TC3 u should think WHY NOT a TC3
CA$H's son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 AM   #41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by donoman
I am very new to RC racing so let's just say I hit a lot of walls.

My first race was on Tuesday and I have a FT TC3. I broke my graphite arm and replaced it with a plastic one. Then in the main, I also broke that plastic arm. I was in 2nd place but couldn't finish the race ... sucky.

I came home and started looking at all these wider bumpers. I've seen 4 items:

BRP wide front bumper
BRP wide rear bumper
BRP nerf wings
RPM wide front bumper

I made my own nerf wings out of some plastic box I found at HomeDepot for 60c. They look OK and I put bumper foam on them. All the better. I was wondering a few things:

1) The BRP bumper is bigger but doesn't have "crash impact zones" like the RPM bumper. Does anyone have the BRP front bumper and think it works pretty well? The design makes me worried about breaking my diff case or something.
2) The only time you would need nerf wings is if you hit a corner and it got wedged between the front and back wheels, correct?
3) When you guys know a crash is certain, do you let go of the wheel and straighten out the wheels? I wonder if I am doing more damage to the car by crashing into a wall with the wheel turned.

Thank you for answering my questions,
Newb
1. Well, I used to use the BRP one before RPM's came out, & it works ok, but it's more prone to wearing things out more quickly. The thing with the BRP front is that it has to be mounted on the original plastic bumper, & at first it's fine, but as you hit things, the impacts tend to bend the plastic bumper down, which throws off the position of the whole thing(as well as the front body mounts, since they sit on the bumper). But while the RPM one isn't perfect, it IS a lot tougher than the BRP one, & holds its shape after numerous impacts better(so the body posts stay in place & the bumper won't be scraping the ground like the original can with the BRP one), & most importantly, the RPM one is all in one piece, so it's also easier to install(& that also probably explains its toughness). I strongly reccomend the RPM one over the BRP
2. Something like that, the side nerf wings are meant to help protect the rear suspension in side impacts.
3. Honestly, I'm not sure anymore if I let go of the steering wheel in an impending crash, but it's possible that I might at the moment of impact. However, there are also times when I'm pretty sure I don't let go or try to correct it if I know I'm gonna hit, it really just varies with the situation, but I do know that I rarely break a suspension arm, even in crashes that you'd think would snap the arms in half. Not all that sure why, just seems to be that way for me(if it tells you anything, I didn't get around to installing the ver2 arms until just a few months ago, even though I'd had them ready for some time, I had been using the ORIGINAL ones for several years, & my TC3 is over 4 1/2 years old, too, maybe replaced a half dozen of them or so in that time, including making the change to the new ones so I could make use of the rear shock tower in front trick)

Go Pokes!!!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:49 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default TC3 all the way.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smalls
LOL

You must be one of those guys that never hits anything.

I think its a great car, but I think its prone to easy breakage under deacceleration trauma.
Hence the term...."You TC3'd it" right...I know from expirience!! I am looking forward to seeing the Pro4 in action which seems to have allot of similarities to the TC3.

The TC3 is a great car non the less. I would take a TC3 any day of the week and twice on Sunday!!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:05 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to TCRacerPro

Associated TC3 #1 Owned like 3 already! GO For a TC3. You can also trick out tc3s too. i seen it! like all Carbon Fiber!
TCRacerPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 03:44 AM   #44
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
1. Well, I used to use the BRP one before RPM's came out, & it works ok, but it's more prone to wearing things out more quickly. The thing with the BRP front is that it has to be mounted on the original plastic bumper, & at first it's fine, but as you hit things, the impacts tend to bend the plastic bumper down, which throws off the position of the whole thing(as well as the front body mounts, since they sit on the bumper). But while the RPM one isn't perfect, it IS a lot tougher than the BRP one, & holds its shape after numerous impacts better(so the body posts stay in place & the bumper won't be scraping the ground like the original can with the BRP one), & most importantly, the RPM one is all in one piece, so it's also easier to install(& that also probably explains its toughness). I strongly reccomend the RPM one over the BRP
2. Something like that, the side nerf wings are meant to help protect the rear suspension in side impacts.
3. Honestly, I'm not sure anymore if I let go of the steering wheel in an impending crash, but it's possible that I might at the moment of impact. However, there are also times when I'm pretty sure I don't let go or try to correct it if I know I'm gonna hit, it really just varies with the situation, but I do know that I rarely break a suspension arm, even in crashes that you'd think would snap the arms in half. Not all that sure why, just seems to be that way for me(if it tells you anything, I didn't get around to installing the ver2 arms until just a few months ago, even though I'd had them ready for some time, I had been using the ORIGINAL ones for several years, & my TC3 is over 4 1/2 years old, too, maybe replaced a half dozen of them or so in that time, including making the change to the new ones so I could make use of the rear shock tower in front trick)
Thank you very much for your response. I will be ordering the RPM bumper instead of the BRP bumper. In the case of the BRP bumper, I believe I can just buy bulk plastic and make something similar myself. The RPM unit looks more "worth" the 8$ or 10$.

Thanks again.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:10 PM   #45
Super Moderator

True, & as an experiment, I had a friend of mine even make me a lower bumper to replace the original one(that the BRP one mounts to) made of aluminum. And it did hold up a bit better, but was still prone to bending, & it was also heavier than the plastic ones), but at least when it bent I could bend it back into shape.....

Go Pokes!!!