R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Ta05v2 ball diff problems.

Hi guys. I'm having troubles with the ball diff on my ta05v2. I've burnt out 3 diff pulleys in a matter of weeks and it's starting to annoy the crap out of me. The first time it was too lose the second time it was too tight and I thought the third time it was perfect, obviously not. Are there any aluminum or steel diff pulleys that are still available. I have seen ones for the ta04 but I'm unsure if they are compatible. Are the aluminium/steel ones very reliable?

Are the problems I'm having because I'm using a 10t brushless or will I still get these issues with a 21.5t(which I'm thinking changing to so I can go in the 540 Pro class for my local track)?

Thanks guys.
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face DEEP FRIED diff pulley issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsane_chimera View Post
Hi guys. I'm having troubles with the ball diff on my ta05v2. I've burnt out 3 diff pulleys in a matter of weeks and it's starting to annoy the crap out of me. The first time it was too lose the second time it was too tight and I thought the third time it was perfect, obviously not. Are there any aluminum or steel diff pulleys that are still available. I have seen ones for the ta04 but I'm unsure if they are compatible. Are the aluminium/steel ones very reliable?

Are the problems I'm having because I'm using a 10t brushless or will I still get these issues with a 21.5t(which I'm thinking changing to so I can go in the 540 Pro class for my local track)?

Thanks guys.
The drivetrain for tha V2 is pretty much the same as the 416 and they've ran 3 and 4 turn motors without burning up pulleys. So, you believe the first time it was too loose and the 2nd time was too tight. The third time has me puzzled, but the first thing that comes to mind is if your using the same belts that you fried you first two pulleys with then I would suggest inspecting the belts very closely and make sure tops of the bumps in the belts or the pulleys are not worn which would cause the third pulley to melt. Next I would check and make sure you diff itself isn't too tight or too loose. I don't know if you fried the pulleys from the outside in or the inside out? Well, I had to ask.
If you see any wear in the belts just replace them so you can rule them out of what is causing the problem.
Yes, Tamiya is making gear diffs which may hold up better to low turn motors. Although the pulley itself may still be plastic. Not sure? If anyone know please chime in.
Hope I was able to be of some help!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Tech Master

You won't out-motor the diff for that car very easy.
Make sure you've checked all the basics, belts OK (as mentioned), no ceased bearings, belts not too tight, no bind in the drive-train.
After that, you should tighten the diff to the point where it feels tight, but not "notchy". Not sure if you have broken in diffs before, but it's a good idea to hold one wheel, give the car low throttle for about 30 seconds, then swap sides. After that a tighten up, and should be good to go.

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. I'll do a complete rebuild of my diffs and replace everything including the diff cups, bearings, belts, balls and pulleys. Replacing as much as I can with aluminium parts. Hopefully that will stop it from breaking again.
In the past few hours I have learnt these very important things; firstly, read the instructions, secondly, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!! And check the back of the piece of paper if there are more instructions, thirdly, double check what you have done, then check it again and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
unsane_chimera is offline   Reply With Quote