R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
You can get a chassis protector or a roll of chassis protection film.

The real deal is that you are racing, and a racing car will have marks and scratches, unlike some shelf queen. Take pride in being a racer, versus a chassis polishing dork.
+1
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Tech Elite

guys take a look at the no. of chassis disposed from the ifmar 1/8 races at thailand..

no doubt the same for carbon fiber chassis in ep races... scare your guts off...

a racer take pride in their skills to take on the best.... who cares about chassis wear.. u can do many things to prolong unnecessary chassis wear.. but scratches are unavoidable if u race or bashes..

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Wow, that is wild, most of those chassis look like they have plenty of life left in them. But I guess when you are a sponsored pro driver you can use a new chassis pretty much whenever you want.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
You can get a chassis protector or a roll of chassis protection film.

The real deal is that you are racing, and a racing car will have marks and scratches, unlike some shelf queen. Take pride in being a racer, versus a chassis polishing dork.
wow...im a chassis polishing dork...what are you saying?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplechamp View Post
Wow, that is wild, most of those chassis look like they have plenty of life left in them. But I guess when you are a sponsored pro driver you can use a new chassis pretty much whenever you want.
They're most likely all tweaked. IIRC, the Pattaya track was extremely harsh on all cars.
[[john]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

I think that a few people in this thread have missed the point of the couple posts that I have made. I said that I care more about how the chassis works....if it looks nice, then that is a bonus - nothing more.

I've raced a variety of things, and always liked my equipment to look decent; but never at the cost of performance. I HAVE however thought that having a beat up pile of *&$% for the sake of being "hardcore" was ridiculous at best.

I've always liked my equipment to look decent, but I would never sacrifice performance to do so. A chassis polishing dork I am not - I'm too busy crashing them and racing for position
jeb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I feel the pain of those hating the scratch damage, it hurts when you have that pride in your gear.

On my Photon with some recent stuff I cleaned and wiped in a little CA glue, seemed to make it look a little smoother again, after that I also started running a strip of tape on the back end, seems to take some of the touching down damage.

But yeah you just can't avoid the damage if your trying to get a good setup, both my Photon and Mugen handle best when running a ride height that just touches down in the rear/back in some parts of the track, wind up the ride and they just get too much roll.

It would be nice if the chassis was not near the most expensive single part to replace, but hey in the end it's kind of like tyres, a wear item, and if yours has no wear on it your likely not set up real well.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
wow...im a chassis polishing dork...what are you saying?
Are you the type of person who asks people selling used cars if there are any scratches on the chassis, as if this is the only measure of worth on a car?

Not that anyone wants to buy a mangled or abused car, but some guys get the OCD about this stuff...

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #24
Tech Adept

I'm not too concerned about scratches but what I find happens with my TC chassis is that the back edge gets ground down really badly racing on asphalt. After about 6 months the rear most edge of the chassis gets really thin and breaks. I've tried chassis protector films and they were great for all of the chassis except the rear most edge that still got ground down.

I stick a piece of 0.020" lexan there now using thin carpet tape. It stops the chassis wear and when the lexan wears out I just put another one on. With the carpet tape it's possilbe to carefully peel off the lexan protector to check for tweak. Luckily my Exotek chassis doesn't get much tweak so I don't have to check it so much compared to stock.

Here's a pic of what I put on to protect the rear edge for racing on asphalt:
spongerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerX View Post
Here's a pic of what I put on to protect the rear edge for racing on asphalt:
the 2 screws at rear are more prone to wear, although i did the same it helps to minimized... i still prefer a rear skidplate which more durable...if there are any.

when i wanna sell the car, i just remove it with chassis look nicer... else the buyer bargain for lesser due to car condition...haha.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:49 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I hate having a scratched up chassis . I love racing carpet just because the cars still look perfect after using them.