R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tire inserts for C27s (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/45667-tire-inserts-c27s.html)

RKeasler 07-21-2004 12:24 PM

Tire inserts for C27s

I need some help with detemining what is the best insert to run with the C27 from Takeoff the preglued ones with the medium inserts end up getting a grove around the inner edge and I wondered if a taller or rounder insert would work better,anyone with experience with this tire (should be plentyof you) give me your thoughts.:cool:

J-P 07-21-2004 01:04 PM

hey RKeasler,

i run them with echo yellow on both 24 and 26 mm rims, they work good on both but on 26mm rims its more stable/less agressive.

i've just started to run atsushi hara soft greys they seem very good and more even wear, my friend has run them the last 3 meetings and love's them. these have been fitted on 26mm rims though.

hope this helps you

J-P:sneaky:

copter 07-21-2004 04:05 PM

Echo "medium" grey 24mm for outdoor tracks and JB Foam Insert JB20 For TAKE OFF 24mm Tires (Blue/Hard) for indoor tracks. That's what I have been using so far and CS-27 is the only allowed tire in my class, so I have been testing different choices a bit. ;)

J-P 07-21-2004 11:26 PM

copter's hit the nail on the head, you need to try different inserts your self to test them, as what works for us may not work for you. try seeing what the quick guys at your track are running insert wise and also those running the same car as you,

good luck

J-P:sneaky:

Still Bill 07-23-2004 08:47 PM

Great posts!

RKeasler 07-26-2004 09:45 PM

The main problem I have is that the groove shows up with the med inserts that come with the tires (Too much camber too little??) Can't afford to try alot of inserts but may try one that fills the tire out better. Then figure out how to keep from overheating. The HPI rounded yellows may work . Give me some more input :)

Still Bill 07-26-2004 11:04 PM

Hi RKeasler,

Where are you in the country?

If known, indicate to what track temperatures you are dealing with.

What make/model of car?

What are your front/rear camber settings?

Otherwise, we can only speculate and give you generalities.

RKeasler 08-07-2004 06:30 PM

Hi, XXX-S Bill just recovering from a serious system crash, anyway I race in S.C. and the air temps were around 90 or so then but this happens in the winter as well. I run a Losi XXX-S with -1 degrees of camber and blue front springsw/60 wt. oil. This seems to be a result of the inserts that come in the tire, just wondering if anyone has tried this tire with other inserts? Oh yeah found that it happens with C32 tire as well.

AdrianM 08-07-2004 09:05 PM

It happen on all tires. On Yokomo and Sorex tires you dont get a groove but more of a hump in the inner 1/4 of the tire. The groove (hump) happens when the insert you use has a lot of air gap (insert dosent completely fill the tire interior). Unfortunatly, tires always seem to be better with air gap than without.

When preparing the GL premounts we tested a ton of inserts from TakeOff and Echo (Echo has many diffrent inserts that are exactly like Sorex, Pit, Yokomo and HPI inserts). In the end we got the best lap times from the TakeOff CSM insert. It is fairly soft and thin. Not much of a surprice sinve TakOff designed them to work toghter.

I can get about 5 hard Mod runs at my local track before I see a groove start to form. By then the tires are cooked and are only good for practice laps not racing. In Stock you should be able to get twice as many runs.

Sorex and Yokomo tires are good for only one run in Mod and maybe 2 in stock before traction goes away and the car starts to push. On the 1st run they can be a bit better than TakeOffs but on the 2nd and later run they are quite a bit worse.

The Black Kat 08-07-2004 10:09 PM

Do you mean run as in full day run...or 5 minute run?

Either way...thats not a whole lot for the Sorex/Yokomo

I have like 8 race days on my CS-27's outdoors. Plus carpet runs (a lot)

I rotate my tires a lot

Grizzbob 08-08-2004 01:17 AM

He most likely means 1 race, not 1 day. I've seen that sort of thing before(it was especially prevalent when the best tire to use outside in the heat was ProLine's S3 compound, those things were never good for any more than 4 runs or so at best, & I've even worn a set down to the inserts in a SINGLE run). Now, about your tire wear, it is possible that you could have too much camber that could cause that groove to form(& it'd be worth trying to just reduce the camber angle by .5 degrees, won't change grip too much but it should give you a chance to see if it reduces the wear or not). Also, something else you can try is to use some strapping tape with the inserts that come with the TakeOff tires, just put a single layer of tape inside the tire before you put the insert in place, & then glue 'em up. The tape will help fill some of that gap, but doesn't seem to affect grip much, so it could help extend the tire's life a bit more(works pretty well for me except when I absolutely MUST have every bit of grip I can get, then I'll just mount 'em up as they come out of the package & deal with the wear).....:cool:

Still Bill 08-08-2004 08:26 PM

Originally posted by RKeasler
Hi, XXX-S Bill just recovering from a serious system crash, anyway I race in S.C. and the air temps were around 90 or so then but this happens in the winter as well. I run a Losi XXX-S with -1 degrees of camber and blue front springsw/60 wt. oil. This seems to be a result of the inserts that come in the tire, just wondering if anyone has tried this tire with other inserts? Oh yeah found that it happens with C32 tire as well.
I am addressing this from a Stock (27 turn) perspective...

I only get to race in 90 degree temps out at Speedworld (Central CA valley). SW happens to be the distributor for Sorex products. In such temps, they run Sorex 36 with the thin gray inserts (for the air gap). These tend to give me a about 2 race weekends in Stock class depending on the track configuration.

As Grizzbob says, having the air gap in the Sorex's seems to be very important when it comes to racing in hotter climates.

Virtually all my TakeOffs have been pre-mounted units so I am using their matched insert. I typically use CS22s for early morning/night (cool) and carpet racing (rear), use CS27s for carpet (front) and most on-road racing up to about 80 temp, use CS32s for about 80-90 and Sorex 36 for above 85.

Yes, I actually use a temp gun to get track surface temps before making a change.

Because you deal with pretty high temps you might want to go to the Speedworld website (www.speedworldraceway.com) and ask Billy Bowerman more about what Sorex tires and inserts can do for you.

Advil 08-08-2004 08:31 PM

Bill,

Do you remember what the track temp was Saturday during the mains? I was running CS32 premounts and they were very good. I was wondering what the track temp was though.

Art

Still Bill 08-08-2004 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Advil
Bill,

Do you remember what the track temp was Saturday during the mains? I was running CS32 premounts and they were very good. I was wondering what the track temp was though.

Art

Don't remember a week ago...he, he...

Maybe I could use that as an excuse. I was using 27s...he, he...

Won today in Stock at RC Tech though...On what was left of those same 27s.