R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Getting back into RC

Hi all. It's been a while since I last raced (Around 2005) and am looking for suggestions to start back up again. I tried charging my 3000 mah nimh batteries...no luck. I'd like some help to see what guys are running these days as far as electronics goes. I see Lipo is the way to go...please give me your help on batteries and chargers. Thanks!
Danpatinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Wow, some of us old timers remember you on the forum. Welcome back. Sooo, what kind of racing you planning on ? That'll help us give you some insight as to electronics. Batteries are easy. Lipo IS the way of the world. Lots of good chargers that will do a variety of different types. Here's my best suggestion for a charger. This thing is priced right and has proven itself to many of our club members.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

Batteries in the 5000mah range seem to be about the most popular and really all that's needed. As for brands.. you know how that goes.
Esc's and motors ??....thats a different ball of wax.
Good Luck and have fun.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I'm going 1/10th sedan again. I'm pretty sure my batteries are toast. They do not take a charge anymore. Will Lipos work with an older type speed controller? I have some ko's, a Hara that is a ko and a Gm SX9 purple. Lmk and thanks happy to be back.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

go 1/12 pan car man, simpler and 8 min racing
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpatinod View Post
I'm going 1/10th sedan again. I'm pretty sure my batteries are toast. They do not take a charge anymore. Will Lipos work with an older type speed controller? I have some ko's, a Hara that is a ko and a Gm SX9 purple. Lmk and thanks happy to be back.
The answer is Yes, they will work but NO you shouldn't use them. The problem is the battery. Lipos can be downright dangerous if they get hot and draining them below a reasonable voltage produces heat.heat,heat. Older esc's won't have Lipo cutoff circuitry and thus, you could end up with a nasty situation on your hands. Lipo compatible esc's will have this circuitry and shut down when battery voltage gets low. But remember, the run times with lipo are huge compared to when we ran NIMH. A good 5000mah lipo will run great voltage way longer than a 5 minute race.
BTW, we talkin stock or mod on road ? Theres also the "spec" programs. Vintage Trans Am is really strong and GT is hanging in there. Both are great classes for 21.5T and 25.5T. Most people equate these with the 27t stock of old. 17.5 Touring is popular also. Much closer to 19T-13T brushed motors depending on ESC choice. Then again, ESC's make a HUGE difference. Depending on class, you could have a high tech esc with timing advance and boost. Depends on how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend......as always.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the reply Evoracer. I was not aware of the inherit dangers with Lipo batteries. I'm seeing some ads here for speed controllers that run both brushless and brushed motors. I think i'll look into these.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danpatinod View Post
Thanks for the reply Evoracer. I was not aware of the inherit dangers with Lipo batteries. I'm seeing some ads here for speed controllers that run both brushless and brushed motors. I think i'll look into these.
Good way to go. When you have more questions just post em'. We'll be here.