R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-20-2004, 11:15 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Need input on Motor Lathe

What is the best lathe for the money? Who gives you more for the money? Who breaks? Who seems to be more accurate?

I am putting a shopping list together and would like your input.

Thanks...
John G.
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Tech Elite

John, I use the Orion motor lathe. I had to purchase the diamond bit separately, but that is common. It's about that time for the lathe to die, so my next lathe will be the Hudy. I've seen the Hudy cuts, and am happy with the results.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to COLEKO

The Lathe I use is the Integy X-MODLATHE2. Very good cuts using a 55 turn motor. Seen it for 139.99 at Integy. I think I paid more for it a year ago.......

Team TAOB 2004
COLEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For the "money" I'd have to go with the new integy automatic lathe with solid carbide V-block guides.....you can pick one up for about $155 with a carbide bit.......It's a fairly close copy of the much more expensive Hudy executive automatic lathe (that I just bought).....It's real hard to duplicate the cut of a regulated automatic feed lathe......another big bonus is that these type of lathes are meant to be operated directly off of a 12V power supply.....so there's no need to use a (quick to die) 4 cell pack or have to use an indi-dyno or a motor-run feature on your charger to operate it.......just plug it in to your power supply and cut......(In my opinion) ,reguardless of what type of lathe you choose (manual or automatic) Get V-Guides.......Not (soon to be clogged and sloppy)ball-bearing guides......and make sure it has either "replaceable" hardened steel uprights, or Carbide uprights.........even some of the most expensive lathes still have Junk "non-replaceable" hardcoated aluminum uprights and guides....hope this helps you some........

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Joe B - I agree 100%, I've seen one of these in action and the cut was perfect, it's also very easy to use. Sick lathe for the money. Also long as you have a 12v power supply your set.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:04 AM   #6
Tech Master

I will have to check out the auto lathe. I wonder if I can use the built in power supply in my Indi 16x9v6 charger. It says it can run a dyno, so I am sure the lathe would be ok.

Thanks for the input...it is a toss-up with the Hudy and Integy Auto Lathe.

Last edited by R/C HEAT; 07-21-2004 at 02:35 PM.
R/C HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Have you got female plugs in the back of your charger for hooking up via 12v? If so when you run it on 110v you get 12v's out of those plugs for a tire truer or lathe. My 16x9v5 works that way. The auto lathe comes with a linear speed adjustment knob built in so you can run it on 12v's and yet have the arm spinning very slowly all the way up to a full 12v feed. Just a comment on the auto lathe, I don't know of anywhere that sells new blocks for it, but they are carbide and once aligned properly will last a long time. The hudy blocks will wear out quicker since their not made out of carbide but you are able to buy replacements. BUT you could buy two auto lathes and it would still come out cheaper then 1 hudy.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very true fatdoggy, almost twice the price...not even counting a bit.. but I'll tell ya..... it's we'll worth it for the quality and the added high end features it packs.............Joe

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:20 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hey john,
joe hit the nail on the head.i have the integy auto lathe and he has the hudy auto lathe.both are excelent.you cant beat the auto feed for finish.the hudy is more expensive but it does have some nicer features.both have low RPM motors that run directly off 12 volts.both have excelent v guide adjustment and both are going to be maintenence free for a long time.the thing i liked about my integy was that it has carbide V-blocks with a built in oiler hole with what seems to be similar to a venturi type feed onto the armature shaft,THE PRICE!!!lol,and it comes with a really nice carrying box.the hudy on the other hand has hardened steel V-blocks which will hold up for a very long time and are cheap to replace,the auto feed is more like a full size lathe being that it feeds in I.P.R.(inches per revolution)which means that if you have any RPM fluctuation,the feed changes with it to accomodate the increase or decrease in RPM.the hudy has a 3 brushless motor system which is extremely smoothe.in other words,both are incredible lathes but you will get what you pay for.i personally am very happy with my integy lathe and it cuts better than any manual feed lathe i have seen and for 139.99 on ebay,it cant be beat

jason
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote