R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2004, 12:26 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

I have a few more that needs photos taken... stay tuned...
Old 07-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Ian, I'm surprised you don't have the PTI car.
Neil... I don't think that car was actually available to the public. Saw it first at RCX last year and I talked to their agent this year... seems that it is still a "one off" chassis to this day... (but IMO, I think that one really do look like a dinosaur...)
Old 07-21-2004, 12:33 AM   #33
Tech Elite

I thought they were trying to market the car, and the car is already in production.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #34
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

No the car is not in production yet. And regarding the comments on that car, I will say that having had the car in my own hands (the very first prototype indeed), the suspension has nothing to do with a copy of whatever car, specially the hot shot. It has been designed by a man who designs suspensions for scale 1 cars for a living and has a lot of features you wouldn't see just by looking at a picture : integrated antiroll bars on the front just as an example.

On the track, the car performed well, but as it was a very early prototype, is suffered from many problems, that were corrected little by little. But the handling istelf was second to none.

Tornado : you should look better at the KX-1 (not eyean's car, that was just a chassis made for the worlds in 2002), not only the layout of the car, but also the structure of the chassis, the drivetrain, etc.. are very different. For me, it's not the same concept : one is made around a drivetrain (the losi) and the second one around a layout (the kyosho).

Besides, I can remember of a single belt driven off roader which is nothing else than the schumacher Cat.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:50 AM   #35
Tech Master

Default Re: TA03R & F

Quote:
Originally posted by eeyan
aftermarket tuned...

This one is cool for me.. I'd plan to make my other TA03r this way but I don't have enough budget and hop up parts in our local hoby shop to I just decided to sell it as is semi-hop up..
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 06:50 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Oh man, keep these coming! As an engineer, I love these exotic prototypes. Whether or not they ever made it into production, I'm saving these pictures to my computer as fast as I can to drool over later!
I could tell that the PTI prototype isn't the same design as the Tamiya Hotshot. About the only similarity it shares is a laydown damper and four wheels. The integrated anti-roll bars are a little tricky to get used to, but very good performers when tuned right. I'd like to see a torsion bar suspension make it's way into RC. You can control spring rates a lot more easily and they obviously take up less space. Most springs are manufactured to within 10%-20% of their spec'd spring rate. A torsion bar can be an order of magnitude better than that.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #37
tornado

Cobra : If you remember the cat..then you should remember the mustang by PB Racing....single belt and 2 speed too. I've owned and driven one.....one hell of a ride too. It didn't made it in the worlds....but their GPs are one tough competitor back then. Dunno what happened to PB Racing though.

To me both the losi and KX-1 share the same concept. The only difference is how the drivetrain is being housed. Thats all. Losi chooses to house the drive train in a moulded composite housing where as kyosho prefer to house the drive train in a .....geez dunno how to put it words ..... anyway I find that unique but it is also copied (same engineering ideas but modified) from their very successful optima. Being similar doesn't mean both must have the same gear box, chassis layout. The idea here is one single belt driving two differentials...be it the motor is at the center or towards the rear or one uses a moulded composite chassis and the other ......geezzz always have a tough time describing the KX-1...anyway in layman terms one is left hand drive and the other is a right hand drive

Bryan

Last edited by tornado; 07-21-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:46 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Cobra81li200

Man, this is where we don't agree. I personally don't think that each car is made around a drive train, and the KX-1, or the PTI or even the Pro3 are good examples of cars where the drivetrain is chosen in function of the general layout of the car.

If you look at the KX-1, it's obvious that everything is put around the battery and the motor : drivetrain, chassis, electronics. The Losi on the other hand has everything put around the drivetrain : chassis, electronics and motor.

In other words, most of the work on the KX-1 is around the dynamics of the car, where on the Losi it's around the transmission of power.
Cobra81li200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:56 AM   #39
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra81li200
Man, this is where we don't agree. I personally don't think that each car is made around a drive train, and the KX-1, or the PTI or even the Pro3 are good examples of cars where the drivetrain is chosen in function of the general layout of the car.

If you look at the KX-1, it's obvious that everything is put around the battery and the motor : drivetrain, chassis, electronics. The Losi on the other hand has everything put around the drivetrain : chassis, electronics and motor.

In other words, most of the work on the KX-1 is around the dynamics of the car, where on the Losi it's around the transmission of power.
I am well aware of the differences between the KX and the Losi.....but my attention is actually on the drivetrain and everything else is just jugling the equipment around to ensure optimum weight distibution...thats how I see it from an engineering point of view.

Bryan
Old 07-22-2004, 05:08 AM   #40
Tech Master

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
I am well aware of the differences between the KX and the Losi.....but my attention is actually on the drivetrain and everything else is just jugling the equipment around to ensure optimum weight distibution...thats how I see it from an engineering point of view.

Bryan
Way you go dude!!..
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #41
tornado

Quote:
Originally posted by Wency_TA03R-PRO
Way you go dude!!..

Bryan
Old 07-23-2004, 02:17 PM   #42
Tech Elite

To me the chasis design, materials and how that translates to stiffness and driving is a big part of the design. The KX-One and the Losi are by that standard much different. I know we keep rethinking the difference in drivetrain, but they all work in unison. One can't perform without the other, that's why i think they are so much different.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #43
Tech Regular

pti's mini monster truck looks good as well as the 1/12th. i hope they come onto the market to buy
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #44
Tech Adept

i've been in contact with the pti company several times in the last 6 months, as for i'm a big exotic car fan.

Last time i spoke with them (anyone can just call) they said they where having a little trouble mass producing them, and about a month ago they said about 2 more months till it's out.
They also said there will be 2 kits, kinda of like the t1r and evo2 xrays.

I'm not full of it either, real nice guy who runs the show, kinda of seemed like a family business, and he also was a little frustrated with getting it out, since i knew from a previous phone call that they had planned to get it out to the public before this season started.
2000xp8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:32 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Yeah the PTI definately takes the cake on this one! Dont know how it drives though...
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote