R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to serpentsixty9 Send a message via Yahoo to serpentsixty9
Default New to Electric, and i have a few ????'s

ok, i'm an experience nitro guy by all means, i've built and had almost every kit out there, but while on vacation out here in california, i visited a lhs with my dad, a hobby people i believe, and he picked up a tc3 with a reedy KR 10 turn single!! This is so cool, because i've always wanted my dad to run with me, but the thing is, i'm gonna set it up, and get everything dialed for him. Now, building it won't be a problem, since i already have built 3 ntc3's, but i have a few q's about the electronics, such as, what is the cheapest esc that i can use with this motor, what pinion i should use? the guy gave me a rrp 24 and 25 to start with, are these good? and also, i have a dynamite mega peak charger, that i've always used for starter box batts, and reciever batts, its got 4 and 1 amp charging, will this be a good charger to charge up 3000 battery packs, just for parkin lot runnin? and also, what will be some good tools to pick up down the road, i've heard about comm cutters and lathes and stuff, but i'm not sure i understand what they do, lol remember, i'm a nitro guy. I'm not gonna get a matched pack, i'm interested in getting him stick packs, like 2500's, and 3000's. please help me out, thanks
serpentsixty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

To start off battery wise grab some stick pack 3000s or 3300's.They will offer you longer runtimes.
Your charger will work fine for parkinglot bashing type runs.
Even for racing it will do but you will only get faster with a better charger.
24,25 is a lil high to some for parking lot bashing so maybe pick up a 18,19,or 20 when ya can.24,25 will have higher top end but will also wear on the motor faster.
Comm lathe's are units that will take a electric motor's armature and make the comm like new again cutting the used part off the comm and making it smooth again.If you dont wanna drop $100.00 or so on this check around with local shops or racers and let them charge $3.00-5.00 to cut it.
Esc wise you may look around for USED good quality units instead of buying a cheap duratrax or similar esc.They are BIG In size and not the quality of the $100.00+ esc's.
If you look around You can find $100.00-130.00 esc's used but in good condition for $50.00-65.00.
In the future dont buy hand wound motor's when parking lot bashing.$60.00 or so is ALOT of money for a play motor.You might actually save that motor and buy a $22.00-30.00 machine wound mod for bashing right now and hold on to that other one.
Goodluck out there and have fun.
Les
Old 07-19-2004, 05:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Welcome to electric Anthony!!!
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to serpentsixty9 Send a message via Yahoo to serpentsixty9

ok, thanks for the replies, i bought some epic 3000 stick packs, 2, for bashing, these should be good for my dad. as for the motor, if i maintain it daily, and oil the bearing and everything, will it last just as long as any motor? like if i clean the can, with motor spray, and service the armature and stuff?
Old 07-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
Tech Elite

For parking lot running you dont really need all the top of the line gear. Dont bother buying a comm lathe, just have someone you know cut your comm for you every once in a while. As for batteries, you can run just about anything, but you get what you pay for. The higher the numbers the longer the run time. The first thing I'd recomend doing is switching to direct solder or Dean's plugs. Because you're gonna fry those stock Tamiya connectors supplied with most batteries & esc's.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
Tech Elite

As for motor maintenance. You dont have to clean it everyday, thats the joy of electric. Just maybe after a month or so, replace the brushes & clean out the motor & maybe cut the comm.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #7
Tech Adept

ok awesome, thanks for the advice, btw, do i need a charge adapter for deans plugs?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I'll make you a connector tonight & mail it to you tomorrow morning.