Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems! >

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Viper R/C Solutions - A New Line of Innovative Power systems!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcko
Anyone with experience in dealing with the boosted menus?

I been trying to help a fellow Viper driver but I only speak Tekin... It would be neat if there is a translation from Tekin to Viper so someone who understand Tekin can quickly navigate ther Viper menus and at minimum get an idea of what each setting does. For example, it seem like pulse modulation is analogous to Tekin turbo ramp. The accel feature to Tekins boost and the top end feature to Tekin Turbo?

Basically, we run 17.5 boost locally and this viper is getting waxed, we tried stock setting 7 and 4 and tried to mod some of the start rpms, timing, PWM etc but if anything we just got things to go slower.

I am Asking for help...

The unit seems to have TONS of potential, but we cant seem to demo this locally cause we dont know what we are doing in boost... any help would be appreciated. The track we are running has a 120ft back stretch... Thats were we are getting waxed. The car seems to top out after~20 ft. With no further accel. We tried gearing up as well. LRP and Tekins can boost their way upwards into "second" gear and we cant get the Viper to do the same. we have tried FDR from 7 to low 6 with settings 4 and 7 with no luck... Again, accel seems to be great, it is just the top end dpt where we are hurting

Any help is appreciated, we really like the look and setup of the unit, but given the boosted env we race in we would like to give it a better showing in the boosted performance area.

Thanks....
I'll get you some setup info to start with as soon as possible, just returned home from a crazy busy race all weekend and am packing up to head to the Vegas NRHSA hobby show.

Originally Posted by savageboy69
Hey weylin it was cool.to.get to meet you this weekend and see that viper system rip in sc , oh and nice pants today Haha
Good to meet you too man! Fun racing this weekend. Stoked for more NCTs

Originally Posted by JayBee
Both......
I never got an email from you, but I just responded to your PM. Sorry for the delay, Mike was correct, mad busy weekend.

All PM's replied to in fact!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I like this video. Thanks for share.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
First run around the driveway with 13.5 blinky at 6.6 FDR.... hollllly crap, what a difference! I was expecting it to be wildly uncontrollable, but it was so smooth and responsive. As soon as the trigger came off neutral, the car responded, and it was so easy to modulate the power. Talk about brakes, too (unfair, though, I know the Tekin would be much better at 6.6

I'm gonna have to throw in a 17.5 and drop the gear back to 3.8 for an apples-to-apples comparison against my Tekin.

-Mike
Tekin RS, Duo 3 17.5 max timing on motor, blinky ESC, FDR is at 3.7 or 3.8 (not sure, didn't double-check pinion). Feels like there's a rubber band on the throttle, and the brakes are weak compared to the viper. It does feel like it's got more top end, though, but that could be the motor.

Viper VTX10R, Tekin Redline 17.5 only about 8 of 20 on the endbell, blinky settings (stock no boost profile), FDR at 3.6. Feels much more direct and responsive than the Tekin, with much better brakes. Feels slower on the top end, but I'm not drawing conclusions because of the motor.

I can't wait to race with this ESC.

-Mike
Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Weylin, I know you are super busy and I sent you PM on my issues but wanted report on my findings.

rcko, thanks for the moral support!!

Well here is what I found......My problem I believe on my first day out with the Viper VTX10 was when I was calibrating my radio to the ESC. The instructions say to keep the throttle adjustments at 100% which I did and completed the calibration. Well with that said I put the car on the track and the car was slow and sometimes would hesitate, the car just didn't seem right. Well I found out last nite while going through the car that when I set the esc in "blinky" mode the motor seemed to run fine, in boost mode it stuttered throughout the throttle pull and just didn't seem linear as it should. Then I thought of something I had read a while back about calibrating the radio to an ESC and it talked about setting the throttle trim to 50%(below 100%) then calibrate and when complete up it to 100%. Well once I did that the 13.5 motor I was bench testing just screamed, as it should. That right there tells me I figured it out, at least I hope sure sounded like it.

Ok so the radio I run is a Spektrum DX3S so hopefully if this is an issue then here you go, if not then maybe it was only me.

Eric
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Tekin RS, Duo 3 17.5 max timing on motor, blinky ESC, FDR is at 3.7 or 3.8 (not sure, didn't double-check pinion). Feels like there's a rubber band on the throttle, and the brakes are weak compared to the viper. It does feel like it's got more top end, though, but that could be the motor.

Viper VTX10R, Tekin Redline 17.5 only about 8 of 20 on the endbell, blinky settings (stock no boost profile), FDR at 3.6. Feels much more direct and responsive than the Tekin, with much better brakes. Feels slower on the top end, but I'm not drawing conclusions because of the motor.

I can't wait to race with this ESC.

-Mike
If you turned the timing down on the motor your gonna get more punch and less top end
Old 05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

mini-dub, I sent you a P/M.
Rich
Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
If you turned the timing down on the motor your gonna get more punch and less top end
I don't think the rubber-band feeling on the Tekin is from the motor timing difference, though. I'll put the Duo3 on the Viper and try it out when it's dry.

EDIT: I switched motors between cars. The Tekin did feel a bit better with the redline motor, but it still didn't feel as direct and immediate as the Viper. I did notice the Viper makes a much louder lower-pitched hum sound than the Tekin RS, and I don't remember it doing that last night. Is that something to be concerned about? Could it be a sign of a bad cap (I got more heat than I meant to into the caps)? Or maybe it's a difference in the drive frequency?

-Mike

Last edited by grippgoat; 05-03-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrive
Weylin, I know you are super busy and I sent you PM on my issues but wanted report on my findings.

rcko, thanks for the moral support!!

Well here is what I found......My problem I believe on my first day out with the Viper VTX10 was when I was calibrating my radio to the ESC. The instructions say to keep the throttle adjustments at 100% which I did and completed the calibration. Well with that said I put the car on the track and the car was slow and sometimes would hesitate, the car just didn't seem right. Well I found out last nite while going through the car that when I set the esc in "blinky" mode the motor seemed to run fine, in boost mode it stuttered throughout the throttle pull and just didn't seem linear as it should. Then I thought of something I had read a while back about calibrating the radio to an ESC and it talked about setting the throttle trim to 50%(below 100%) then calibrate and when complete up it to 100%. Well once I did that the 13.5 motor I was bench testing just screamed, as it should. That right there tells me I figured it out, at least I hope sure sounded like it.

Ok so the radio I run is a Spektrum DX3S so hopefully if this is an issue then here you go, if not then maybe it was only me.

Eric
Read your PM, Eric. I definitely think the hesitation you experienced was from the cold solder joints you found on the motor power wire posts. Even if still connected a cold joint wont be able to carry the necessary current. I realize you were trying not to overheat the components, when soldering the most important step is to pre-tin and heat both sides of the connection. That way you don't have to worry about solder flowing through the wire and bonding to the post while making the connection because it's already been done.

You may have figured something out with your radio as well. From what you said regarding the trim adjustment I wouldn't expect to work though. That's kind of like tricking the esc into thinking the radio is giving a higher throttle input, when in reality the esc cant give a higher throttle output than full throttle, which is easily confirmed by a solid "F" led on the Vport. If your F led is not going solid at full throttle, you're not getting full throttle. Also if you calibrate the esc at one trim setting, then make a significant adjustment to the trim, the esc will likely get unhappy about the neutral pulse width due to changing the trim so much after calibrating. From what you said though that didn't seem to be an issue for whatever reason. We have many drivers use the VTX10 and 10R with Spektrum DX3's. The only radio with a consistent issue is the DX2.0 because it's just too cheap of a radio and the VTX10 and 10R are intended for higher quality systems. Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
mini-dub, I sent you a P/M.
Rich
PM replied, as well as to the email you sent this morning. I wanted to post my response to your tuning question as this may help some other drivers as well:

With regards to tuning in non-timing mode. Higher throttle curves, EXP+1 to EXP+5 will make the power band more punchy. Preset profile 5 is definitely the best place to start, and it already has the throttle punch at 100% which is a must for spec. Depending on your track style you may want to play with throttle drive PWM frequency. For spec motors, 10.5-25.5, keep the drive PWM between 2000 and 8000hz for best performance. Lower frequencies will be punchier with slightly less RPM, which may allow you to gear up slightly. Higher frequencies will be smoother with slightly higher RPM. I don't recommend going above 8000hz with spec motors because they will become less efficient.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Tech Addict

mini, I sent you another pm.

Rich
Old 05-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Mini,

This may have been asked, but will your upcoming SCT 550 motors fit in the AE SC10 4x4??
Also I would like to see your products in our LHS. I know the owners pretty well, just wondering what we could do to make that happen.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Keep'N It Cool
Mini,

This may have been asked, but will your upcoming SCT 550 motors fit in the AE SC10 4x4??
Also I would like to see your products in our LHS. I know the owners pretty well, just wondering what we could do to make that happen.
Yes they will be excellent for the 4x4 SC10 Our VST XL motors are 72mm long, I don't believe there will be a length conflict with any 4x4 SCT.

We are always looking to get our products on more LHS shelves! Mike Garrison is now our US sales marketing director, please have them email him at [email protected] and he will happily get it taken care of
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mini-dub
Yes they will be excellent for the 4x4 SC10 Our VST XL motors are 72mm long, I don't believe there will be a length conflict with any 4x4 SCT.

We are always looking to get our products on more LHS shelves! Mike Garrison is now our US sales marketing director, please have them email him at [email protected] and he will happily get it taken care of
I will forward the information on to them. Thank you.

The Vtrax10 is designed to run these motors correct?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Keep'N It Cool
I will forward the information on to them. Thank you.

The Vtrax10 is designed to run these motors correct?
Thanks!

The VTX10 is the standard current esc rated to 6.5t. The VTX10R is the high current esc with no motor limit and is what you need for the XL 550 motors. No fan necessary
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Just sent u PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.