Search

Repairing chunks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Repairing chunks

hey,

just wondering if theres any way to repair foam tyre chunks???

i bought a brand new set of fast tyres and did 2 races on em... and no they have been sitting around for the last 2 months... obviously they will never be as good as new even if repaired... but even if i can get em just usable... for practice or something... club racing

if anyone has any tips on repairing chunks, please post them here

also, if any one has any tips regarding STOPPING tyres chunking also post them here....

thanx
robbie
Old 07-21-2004, 01:34 AM
Tech Regular

theirs no way to really repair it but im sure you could get the foam material in blocks and just glue it in and re-shape it with some sort of electric carving knife and some sandpaper, but for all that trouble you should probley just get a replacement bumper
Old 07-21-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i used to chunk tyres alot and I can tell you from experience it takes alot of chunks for it to be unuseable, ive chunked about half of the outer edge of the tyre off once and all i did was soften the shock on that side and it was as good as new.

still going to the dash for cash robbie
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Fixing tires depends on your level of racing. If you are good and run in an area with very competitive guys the answer is no...you can fix chunks. The tires will never perform like it did when it was new.

I you just want to fix it for practice and fin running I suggest cutting some foam off an old set of tires of the same compound and glue it into the hole with thin CA (as little as possible). Don't try to make it pretty. Then re true you tires to flatten out the repair and your done. No matter how good you do it you will have a hard spot at the repair and that corner of the car will not behave normally at all times.

Stopping chunking...the best way is to CA your sidewalls. True your tires down...dont round the edges too much as more square tires are faster. Put the tires on your car with no pinion on the motor hold the tip of a bottle of CA to one tire's side wall while you spin the other tire. Let the tire draw the CA from the bottle. Use as little as possible. All you want is a very thin coat of CA to seep into the side wall. If its shiny when you are done you used too much and you just wasted a set of tires. The CA'ed sidewalls should have a matte finish. You only have to do the outsides.

This will prevent your tires from grabbing on another car or the walls if you make contact.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have found that if you true up some tires collect the trued tire powder and use that. Mix it with some form of rubber cement so that it dosent get hard and paste it into the hole. It wont be as good as new but it works. Dont use superglue for this step unless you want a rock hard chunk that starts to smoke when you mix the 2.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have found that fitting a piece of foam in the chunk, then filling in the remaining spaces with the remains from a tire truer works well.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:10 AM
Suspended

What I do is I save the little chunk, and CA it back in. If it is a very mild chunk, you could alway use a tire truer to grind it out with. If you glue the chunk back in and your just racin for fun, don't worry about trueing it, after a few hot laps the chunk should be worn down flush with the rest of the tire.