R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Deciding between rs4 pro 4 ans xxx-s gp

I'm trying to decide between these two kits. I have done a lot of research but I would like your guys opinions. I am leaning towards HPI.
nitromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How's the parts support in your area? HPI parts have been hard to come by, you'd probably be better off with the Losi.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I just happened to have sold off my XXX-S GP in favor of the PRO4. I actually liked the Losi, but wanted to give shaft drive another try, (my last shaft car was a TC3). Both are very good cars, easy to tune, and with the losi having an enclosed belt system maintenance, or lack thereof, to its drive system is equal to a shaft drive. Having had the Losi before my real only complaints are that the A-arms are a little fragile, broke a few with only minor mishaps, setting the gear mesh though the little "window" on the opposite tunnel side can be a pain especially when running 64p gears, and the chassis can easily crack if T-boned in the side due to losi swiss cheesing the chassis to save weight, (saw this happen to a few losi's). The Pro4 for the most part is all about racing, with the kit quality almost as good as a TRF kit. Its a quiet and transisitions as well as anything out there, and by the looks of things, it will have many championships under its belt before it retires. I really havent had the PRO4 long but I havent had any issues yet whatsoever, but I'm sure I will find some in time, I always do
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:45 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Parts support for booth is strong. Have you noticed a difference in handling between the two and what about the acceleration between the two?
nitromaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I happen to also have both cars. I have equal parts availability on both cars. I love the pro 4. It is -like the other guy said- all about racing. The CG is very low. And it is very smooth and quiet. The only thing I have noticed is the front knuckles break with ease when they take a front wheel hit. I am looking into gpm's aluminum front knuckles that are supposed to fit the pro 4 right now. I want to make sure they fit with no changes in the ball stud positions. If anyone knows anything more about using GPM's alum knuckles from experience let me know.

I plan to have both cars up and running this winter. I will use the xxxs for back up.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

As far as excelleration, In stock trim the losi GP has a little more resistance due to the yellow belt being kinked around its pullys, and isnt as quick off the line as the PRO4. But losi did come out with the black belt kit which took the belt kink out of it and made it as smooth as a shaft. (Yes, you would need to buy a black belt kit if the XXX-S GP since GP doesnt come with it). So basically box stock, Pro4 wins. As far as handeling, thats a personal preferance. I can tell you the Losi is a "neutral" handeling car, meaning it doesnt do anything wrong, but doesnt do anything spectacular either (can be tuned to your liking though), The Pro4 comes with a one way diff, that automatically makes it a more aggressive, or sould I say, needs to be driven a little more aggressively. Both come out of the box with good springs, and set-ups for most surfaces. Tires and body selection will play the biggest part in which ever car you get.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

Pro 4 has a very smooth drivetrain ever. Never seen anything like it before. If you guys run without weight limit, out from the box its the lightest so far. Plastics are rock solid with really good geometry.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote