R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Marcus,

Love the mini-z topshock as a sideshock prototype filler.

I have every confidence that this prototype will develop into a first rate racer...although I havent been on this site very long I am very well aquainted with MantisWorx's mini-z F1 items and they all have boosted my laptimes with a very finicky micro-car.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

HEY cowboy!! how have ya been? my mini-z development has slowed down because we no longer have a track to test at it really sux but i do have some things that Matt and EMU will be testing for me soon. im gonna try and regroup and kick off next year strong!
as far as time frame for this kit if testing goes well and i can get my hands on some good side shocks (thats the main hold up right now) i should be able to start shipping sometime around xmas. expect pre-orders to start in a few weeks. on that subject what do you guys want? just a simple chassis kit (upper,lower and lower pod) or a complete "pro " kit which will include hardware ,stand,offs etc etc. either kit will include a set of front springs as none of the currently available springs are soft enough to balance the increased grip from the rear.
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Marcus!

looking good!

keep up the good work and bring us a real killer F1!

for side shocks have you seen the dampers that John Stranaham are putting into his pancar? (the ones he is using for dampers on the pod). How about the side damper tubes from a CRC pancar? have you considered using just one side damper instead, like on the P28?

for kits, well give us options both with and without stand offs...
Are you aming for a upgrade-kit for the 3racing car so that we can use the bits and pieces needed from that car?

You know we are eager to se the completed chassies. And yes we do want more power than the silver can as it is really slow, on our track you can go full speed all the way around.... boring... We now run, another slow motor, the 17,5T but I think it will settle on the more powerful 10,5T motor...

I have driven mine with the mamba max 5700 system..

And lastly please do not leave the mini-z F1 behind... your parts helped me get a 3place finish in the Swedish regional 2010...

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Marcus, it looks good. Good luck with it
Do you have any price estimations?
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudor_47 View Post
Marcus!

looking good!

keep up the good work and bring us a real killer F1!

for side shocks have you seen the dampers that John Stranaham are putting into his pancar? (the ones he is using for dampers on the pod). How about the side damper tubes from a CRC pancar? have you considered using just one side damper instead, like on the P28?

for kits, well give us options both with and without stand offs...
Are you aming for a upgrade-kit for the 3racing car so that we can use the bits and pieces needed from that car?

You know we are eager to se the completed chassies. And yes we do want more power than the silver can as it is really slow, on our track you can go full speed all the way around.... boring... We now run, another slow motor, the 17,5T but I think it will settle on the more powerful 10,5T motor...

I have driven mine with the mamba max 5700 system..

And lastly please do not leave the mini-z F1 behind... your parts helped me get a 3place finish in the Swedish regional 2010...

im not really a fan of sidedampers as they work better in some situations and not very well in others, the advantage to a threaded shock body over the side-damper seperate shocks is that its much easier to do on the fly adjustments and an oil filled shock is basically zero maintenence. i dont want to copy the exotec with a single damper anyway.

i havent really thought about the f109 but the only thing that is really different is the standoffs and i would need to make an upper plate for the shock mounts, not a big deal and i will look into it.

add turbo to your 17.5 and you will love it, thats what we run!

im not giving up on mini-z just regrouping especially with that frankenstein car that Crotty ran with at the worlds, did you see that ? and think they banned me for a bumper but allowed him to run that monster! glued f1 sidewalls on MR tires, shortened wheelbas with exposed motor and tri shock and the rear wing spread the entire width of the car! i hate to contribute to screwing up mini -z f1 but if thats what i gotta do to ensure my team wins than so be it!

price wise it will be in the 115-130 range most likely and that depends on how its packaged up.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Here is my home-made F1; independant roll and pitch springs and damping like yours, the best of all worlds . I agree with you, 1/12th style damper tubes are rubbish, as is the Tamiya style friction disk. This was the key part of the design for me (that and getting the weight distribution as far back as possible).

I use a TRF shock for the pitch and IRS VCS shocks for the roll. Took a bit of design effort to fit it all in under an F1 shell, but it was worth the effort as the car is mega and with the adjustments available is easy to dial to any track conditions.

Good luck with your project!

daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Here is my home-made F1; independant roll and pitch springs and damping like yours, the best of all worlds . I agree with you, 1/12th style damper tubes are rubbish, as is the Tamiya style friction disk. This was the key part of the design for me (that and getting the weight distribution as far back as possible).

I use a TRF shock for the pitch and IRS VCS shocks for the roll. Took a bit of design effort to fit it all in under an F1 shell, but it was worth the effort as the car is mega and with the adjustments available is easy to dial to any track conditions.

Good luck with your project!

Very well done!! Andy Wallace, Alpha RC F-1 Cars
alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:34 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Problem with using shocks on the side is consistency...the shocks don't build consistent left to right. Since damper tubes work on the friction force of the oil and the tubes they are more easy to build consistent. I really like the idea coil over damper tube that IRS uses for the rug rat.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

MantisWorx-
Being that I don't have an F-1 car but VERY interested in them, I would rather have you release a complete kit. Probably a silly question but has anyone put a DW Suspension on these cars yet? Kind of like Jason of BMI has done with his 1/12th-scale?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Problem with using shocks on the side is consistency...the shocks don't build consistent left to right. Since damper tubes work on the friction force of the oil and the tubes they are more easy to build consistent. I really like the idea coil over damper tube that IRS uses for the rug rat.

so using shocks on a TC on all four corners works fine but on a F1 car it wont work on the sides but works perfectly on the top shock???? man that really does not make any sense at all, if you build them the same they will work the same, a shock is a shock doesnt matter what angle they are laying on or what application you use them on. once a damper tube starts to get dirty your handling goes to crap and they get stiff, its an exposed system nothing you can do about it. there is no way a grease damper is more consistant than an enclose oil filled shock!

why is everyone so afraid of change, it blows my mind that there are so many racers that think that something that works on one car wont work on another. why dont we all just go to a flat chassis, no suspension NICAD and a resistor speed controller
Old 11-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
MantisWorx-
Being that I don't have an F-1 car but VERY interested in them, I would rather have you release a complete kit. Probably a silly question but has anyone put a DW Suspension on these cars yet? Kind of like Jason of BMI has done with his 1/12th-scale?

i cant make a "complete" car your gonna have to have at least most of the parts beforehand. im not big enough to make a complete car for less than 600.00 or so which is why the only companies making complete cars are big companies. its just more cost effective to make conversion kits, this way you can pick the best parts in your budget or what works best for you!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
Tech Champion

here is a 103 chassis that i have been playing with

Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
i cant make a "complete" car your gonna have to have at least most of the parts beforehand. im not big enough to make a complete car for less than 600.00 or so which is why the only companies making complete cars are big companies. its just more cost effective to make conversion kits, this way you can pick the best parts in your budget or what works best for you!
So what car to start with?
And what about a double-wishbone suspension on the front?

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
So what car to start with?
And what about a double-wishbone suspension on the front?
if your going to buy a new car buy a regular 104 or if you can find a used 103 that will work too. i posted a pic on one of these threads of a double wishbone front that i made but i haven got around to testing it yet, eventually it is coming too. it uses two of the 104 top arms on each side!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It'll be interesting to see if you come out to So.Cal to run. Since we have so many drivers with completely different cars, F103,F104,F109, Exotek F10, Exotek F104, etc, all running laps within tenths to hundreths of a second of each other I find it hard to believe anything will "run circles" around anything else.
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote