R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerwil View Post
A GTB2 is really good news. I can't figure out what the difference is between this new esc and the Havoc Pro.

I'm considering one of these systems for racing with my 2WD buggy. Which of these esc's will be my best option?
We replaced the Havoc Pro (discontinued) with the Havoc Pro SC. The Havoc Pro SC has on-board programmable timing options; the GTB2 is cheaper, spec-only, no timing adjustments. The timing option is the major difference.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Company Representative

Yesterday we added the GTB2 to both our Trade-In Program (for currently mfg items) and our Legacy Lifetime Program for (discontinued/obsolete electronics):

TeamNovak Trade-In Program

We will keep the original GTBs as a replacement option (cheaper) as long as we can continue to RMF them; when we can't, all orig GTBs will be considered obsolete, and upgrades will be handled through our Legacy program only
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

So am I correct saying
a GTB2 is Novak's basic esc
a Havoc Pro SC is a GTB2 with timing advance
a Kinetic is a Havoc Pro SC + many, many adjustability option through the NovaLink system

The Havoc Pro SC seems to aim at Short Sourse application when I look at the Novak website but honestly I can't see why. On paper it seems like a very good esc for buggy usage as well.

I hope I'm not a pain in the a$$ but I'm just trying to find the differences between the esc's.

Gr,
Michael
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #19
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerwil View Post
So am I correct saying
a GTB2 is Novak's basic esc
a Havoc Pro SC is a GTB2 with timing advance
a Kinetic is a Havoc Pro SC + many, many adjustability option through the NovaLink system

The Havoc Pro SC seems to aim at Short Sourse application when I look at the Novak website but honestly I can't see why. On paper it seems like a very good esc for buggy usage as well.

I hope I'm not a pain in the a$$ but I'm just trying to find the differences between the esc's.

Gr,
Michael
Novak's new ESCs:

...GTB2: new features, on-board programmability (no timing) for spec racing, 3.5T 540 motor limit (99.99)

...Havoc Pro SC: new features, on board programmability, including timing adjustments for SC and off road, 3.5T 540 motor limit (139.99)

...Kinetic Spec: new features, full timing adjustments, PC programmability/updateability (NL)--no CL, 8.5T 540 motor limit (159.99)

...Kinetic 2S: everything, full timing adjustments, PC programmability/upgradeability (NL), CL, 3.5T 540 motor limit (199.99)

* all these ESCs are also compatible with Ballistic 550 motors w/2S.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My GTB2 arrived today just in-time for the new carpet on-road track @ Motor City Raceway. Can't wait to compare it to the original GTB on saturday. FYI the packaging is from the original GTB which through me off for a second until I read the "GTB 2" sticker. Everything looks like typical Novak quality and I know it will deliver the goods.
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I don't understand why Novak continues to try to ram another large speedo down the throats of customers? I don't get it, why would I upgrade from my GTB? Novak would sell a lot more speedos if they made a smaller one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Our escs and motors are designed, manufactured and serviced here in our Irvine CA factory......
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

Thanks NovakTwo! That's a great list with the features I'm interested in. For me I feel the Havoc Pro SC is the best choice.

Only thing left is ordering one

Gr,
Michael
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #23
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
I don't understand why Novak continues to try to ram another large speedo down the throats of customers? I don't get it, why would I upgrade from my GTB? Novak would sell a lot more speedos if they made a smaller one.
We don't actually do much ramming.....No need to buy this affordable, high-performance, low RCS-on, feature-laden, racing GTB2 if you don't want it!

We will be releasing a couple of GTB2/SS Pro Spec systems with a GTB2 version featuring our low-profile heat sink and a smaller TC module installed---compatible with higher wind/Spec motors.

But, we are always developing exciting, new electronics for our customers !
Old 02-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

When can I exchange my GTB for GTB2?

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #25
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18 View Post
When can I exchange my GTB for GTB2?
Now:TeamNovak Trade-In Program
Old 02-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
We don't actually do much ramming.....No need to buy this affordable, high-performance, low RCS-on, feature-laden, racing GTB2 if you don't want it!
!

Well said.

It's a $99 ESC RCknight, were you expecting nano tech in it?? Just installed mine and did a quick basement test. So much easier to read the LED's on the new model & simple to set-up as usual. I had the clear fan on my original, the GTB2's fan is much better. Tomorrow is practice day shakedown for it
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

what is a "smaller TC module" ?
over gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by over gear View Post
what is a "smaller TC module" ?
TransCap??
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

Novaktwo, what do you suggest for use in 12th scale where the heatsink has to be either chopped down or not on at all to fit under the body. I am looking forward to next year when I can no longer use my current esc for stock spec?
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No I'm sure the GTB2 will be another quality product from Novak. I'm just saying why play catch up if another company makes a smaller unit?

On the topic of marketing stuff, I every much like the new line of speedo heatsinks. It's the kind of quality heatsink you see on high end computer motherboards. It's a very good design, but the GTB would look cleaner/lower profile though if you removed the two outer row of fins.

As for aesthetics, it would be cool if Novak would allow their customers to customize and match their speedo/switch color on their car. I think Novak can identify their products with their unique heatsink design. Maybe a Novak logo or shiny sticker. Just a thought, since I loved the orange that matched my Xray. What do you think?

Quote:

We will be releasing a couple of GTB2/SS Pro Spec systems with a GTB2 version featuring our low-profile heat sink and a smaller TC module installed---compatible with higher wind/Spec motors.

But, we are always developing exciting, new electronics for our customers !

Last edited by RCknight; 02-05-2011 at 01:03 AM.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote