R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2004, 12:36 AM   #61
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

That's not really that expensive. Unfortunately this hobby requires money... I kind of get a kick out of the people who complain about how expensive some of the items are. There has to be enough money in them to keep the industry going, and I actually think most prices are pretty reasonable. $60 for the best batteries on the market is a pretty good deal, especially when, like Adrian said, you look back on what things cost a few years ago.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:07 AM   #62
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
Unfortunately this hobby requires money
Just eating bread and drinking water costs money! Even if you are under 18 and don't have a job

I don't keep the industry going....just my race director

Were free? Whoever said that is your ememy
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 AM   #63
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
You can buy GP3300's from a dozen different matchers on line for ~$60 that are better than what Barry Baker has...I'm not kidding.
Crazy but true. If GP continues to improve their cells and their production tolerances continue to get better and better, as they have since they released the 3300, the need for matched cells could all but disappear.
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:41 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Black Kat- I think the quote is supposed to go, "The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy" -Rage against the machine

Sorry 3:41am.....
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:03 AM   #65
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by mwcet8k
Crazy but true. If GP continues to improve their cells and their production tolerances continue to get better and better, as they have since they released the 3300, the need for matched cells could all but disappear.
While I understand what you're saying, at this point that's not likely.

GP *is* doing a great job with cells. Having said that, when we get cases of cells from GP there still is a big disparity between cells. Also, the cells in their native form need some serious enhancement (nee zapping). If we left them as is, you'd see mostly 1.14s and 1.15s on your packs. That's why it *does* matter who zaps and matches them.

-jon
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:30 AM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
"The land of the free? Whoever told you that is your enemy"
Thank you

I knew it was a Rage quote but couldn't remember the exact words
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:07 PM   #67
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to RcRacerX
Default Not true

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
If there is competition it will do the exact opposite, it will bump prices up. If sanyo comes out with cells that blow GPs out of the water(extremely unlikely) they will charge a premium for them just like they have in the past. Racers WILL pay.
If there will be a battery war between manufacturers, we will be the ones to benifit in the short run, untill one or more companies iether quits slashing prices or goes out of business. So your a little right and a little wrong.
RcRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:36 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Default Re: Not true

Quote:
Originally posted by RcRacerX
If there will be a battery war between manufacturers, we will be the ones to benifit in the short run, untill one or more companies iether quits slashing prices or goes out of business. So your a little right and a little wrong.
No you don't get what I'm saying. Sanyo bulk cells are more expencive then gp bulk cells. If smaller matchers try and sell the new sanyos for the same as the gp's they would be making less and might go out of buisness. Larger companies still sell at slightly high prices then smaller matchers(smc doesn't sell packs for $30) but they still won't sell at a loss. The smaller matchers will have to bump up prices and the larger companies will too, although not as much. Cells have cost more in the past becuase the raw cells cost more to buy, otherwise there would have been a drop in prices a while back.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Not true

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
No you don't get what I'm saying. Sanyo bulk cells are more expencive then gp bulk cells. If smaller matchers try and sell the new sanyos for the same as the gp's they would be making less and might go out of buisness. Larger companies still sell at slightly high prices then smaller matchers(smc doesn't sell packs for $30) but they still won't sell at a loss. The smaller matchers will have to bump up prices and the larger companies will too, although not as much. Cells have cost more in the past becuase the raw cells cost more to buy, otherwise there would have been a drop in prices a while back.
This is true on multiple fronts.

Sanyo indeed would never offer their cells at the price GP does. GP all-around is making the R/C battery-world a much better place at this point. A small matching outfit like ours is able to produce high-quality cells right out of the box without all the horror of unusable cells, etc. the way some other cell manufacturers would. We're also able sell them at a reasonable price to you because we're not getting gouged by our supplier.

When I see $95 packs from Sanyo/Trinity on Tower Hobbies it makes me sick knowing full well that the performance they're giving you is nowhere near what a $50 GP pack from Surge will give you. AND, if Tower is selling the Team packs for $95, the average hobby shop owner will be selling them for >$100 per pack.

At this point, Sanyo's going to have to improve on the current crop of 3600s *A LOT* for racers to take notice. Otherwise, they're going to end up like the 3300s they were putting out before--used by backyard bashers but that's about it.

-jon
Old 07-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #70
Tech Elite

one other thing you guys have failed to mention do you know that the 3600's are heavier. "noticably heavier"

If you thouht having to grind the chassis to get the batteries more towrds the center to get better balance these things will have to be mounted down the center.

they wiegh about 6 ounces more (est).
screw sanyo I aint making ernie richer!
Old 07-19-2004, 01:06 PM   #71
Tech Elite

> they wiegh about 6 ounces more (est).

Is that really true? 6 OZ?!?!

You know, we never weiged the Sanyo cells.

I should grab a pack and weigh 'em.

-jon
Old 07-19-2004, 01:48 PM   #72
Tech Elite

The main reason the Sanyo cells are more expensive is because ALL sanyo cells are distributed by "T". They are the US distributor for the cells. GP will sell to any matcher, but all the smaller guys used to have to get their stuff from "T", paying them a premium for the cells.

Also, from what I have heard, there is something to the weight of the cells (any brand) that a case can be weighed, and the heaver cases generally yield better cells. That way they could weigh the cases, and distribut the lower weight cases to those who wanted them, keeping the better for themselves.

I am not 100% sure this practice has taken place. Just something I heard.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #73
Tech Elite

> I am not 100% sure this practice has taken place. Just
> something I heard.

I can't confirm this myself, but there is some truth to the theory.

The previous, 'non-shorty' cells yielded generally higher numbers (at least from *our* experience).

It is much harder to come by 1.18+ cells in these batches than it was in those. The reason for this is the cell 'shrank' leaving less cell material inside. My associate, Gary, would be able to better explain the chemical reasons behind this but I know it's true in practice.

BTW, PitCrew, I never heard back from ya. I PMed you a while back.

-jon
Old 07-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #74
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, I've heard about the "crate weighing" thing too, & it does make some sense(since there must be a fair amount of those materials in the cell to have a proper chemical reaction, so more of those materials could equal better poerformance & also mean a heavier cell), so it'd stand to reason as well that Sanyo's 3600's would weigh more than any 3300's, just like 3300's weigh more than 2400's, or 1700's, etc....And one more thing to remember, Black Kat, you have to realize that an old saying always has pertained to ALL forms of racing, & always will...."Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #75
Tech Elite

amen!