R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Re: Sanyo vs GP debate, yup, the first batch of these Sanyo's are junk. We're holding off matching these cells because the voltages are way off. We're having a similar issue with TMK. They're sending us a batch right now that they want us to test.

In addition to the above the runtimes that we're currently getting on our GPs are pretty much in line with the runtimes we're seeing on the Sanyos. Ask Mr. Jolly (he's on here all the time), the runtime on most of our packs are 435+. We even see 450s at times. If you peruse the runtimes of most Sanyo 3600 cells you'll see they vary from 430-455...pretty much the same as our GP 3300s.

-jon
Jon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #47
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwca
Re: Sanyo vs GP debate, yup, the first batch of these Sanyo's are junk. We're holding off matching these cells because the voltages are way off. We're having a similar issue with TMK. They're sending us a batch right now that they want us to test
Who's TMK?
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Who's TMK?
They're a small cell production outfit based in China. They started in 1999 and like GP produce cells for various applications: lighting, UPS, hospital-usage, etc.

They're trying to make a foray into R/C but their latest batch of cells weren't up to par--especially for the high-discharge rates/temps that R/C requires/produces. During 30 Amp discharge on our matchers some of the cells were to the point of exploding. That's not gonna work.

We're getting another shipment from them soon with the promise that they've improved the internal chemical structure of the cells. We'll see...

-jon
Old 07-16-2004, 08:09 PM   #49
Tech Master

It'd be cool to see a manufactuer rival GP

OOC: What were the numbers of the cells that did last?
Old 07-16-2004, 08:50 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Quote:

Not good at all. If I remember correctly, they were like 1.15s. I think runtimes were okay, but the voltages were not up to par.

Since there may be some interest, I'll post what we come up with for the next batch.

-jon
Old 07-17-2004, 02:07 AM   #51
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

It's ind of funny you'd say that, since a few years ago people were saying the same thing about Sanyo, wishing someone would step up to compete with them. And then came Panasonic(sort of) with a competitive cell, & Sanyo countered with their own NiMh's, & then along came GP & trumped 'em both. I think it's really pretty simple, whoever can put out a cell as good as GP3300's at a comparable price, then people WILL take notice & start using them(they'll jus have to build a better mousetrap)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:52 AM   #52
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It comes down to how much you want to pay for your packs. You can get a 6 cell gp pack of 1.17v's for $55. Remember a few years ago? Costs upwards of $130+ per sanyo pack.. screw that. I hope nobody rivals GP, their cells right now are awsome compared to the cells in the past, prices are at an all time low and we the racers are getting smoking deals on great packs. How could you wish that out current situation go away?
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:42 AM   #53
Tech Regular

It's funny how bad the first runs of most things are in general. Real cars down to these batteries. Even Software. I never by the first run stuff. I'm curious to see if there will be any advantage over weight disadvantages. With all of the electronics getting smaller, wouldn't it make sense for these guys to come out with smaller, more powerful cells not bigger and more powerful? Eventually you will end up with a massively heavy on one side car, with electronics that weigh 1/4 of battery on the other side. Instead of the MAh race I want to see the MAh and size race. Only then will I be impressed.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
It comes down to how much you want to pay for your packs. You can get a 6 cell gp pack of 1.17v's for $55. Remember a few years ago? Costs upwards of $130+ per sanyo pack.. screw that. I hope nobody rivals GP, their cells right now are awsome compared to the cells in the past, prices are at an all time low and we the racers are getting smoking deals on great packs. How could you wish that out current situation go away?
I wasn't around a few years ago

I want the battery prices to go down because I still can't afford new packs. Therefore I want some competition so I can get my affordable matched cells and walk away
Old 07-18-2004, 12:06 PM   #55
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

If there is competition it will do the exact opposite, it will bump prices up. If sanyo comes out with cells that blow GPs out of the water(extremely unlikely) they will charge a premium for them just like they have in the past. Racers WILL pay.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 12:13 PM   #56
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
If sanyo comes out with cells that blow GPs out of the water
LOL
Old 07-18-2004, 02:25 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
I wasn't around a few years ago

I want the battery prices to go down because I still can't afford new packs. Therefore I want some competition so I can get my affordable matched cells and walk away
Competition will only increase the prices of cells. As others have said, prices for quality packs are more reasonable than they ever were. I remember back in the late-eighties, early nineties, packs were going for $100+ for highest end SCEs.

We're selling six-cell, 1.17+ for $59.99. That's a deal.

-jon
Old 07-18-2004, 03:55 PM   #58
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jdwca
Competition will only increase the prices of cells. As others have said, prices for quality packs are more reasonable than they ever were. I remember back in the late-eighties, early nineties, packs were going for $100+ for highest end SCEs.

We're selling six-cell, 1.17+ for $59.99. That's a deal.

-jon
Right, that's what GP has brought to the table here, if you're paying $90-120 for a good pack, then you're being overcharged for it. There are PLENTY of good matchers putting out cells just as good(if not better in a few cases) as the big companies' packs for CONSIDERABLY less money. I believe Fukuyama's best packs are only$68.99 or so, & honestly, those are cells that I've NEVER seen a company like Trinity selling to regular folks, they keep those cells for special races & their factory drivers only, so the chance of us "mortals" getting them is practically nil(not to mention the inflated prices of their "best" packs). So really things have seriously improved, both in price & performance, over what we used to have in the past. I mean, even when I first got started racing over 15 years ago, I saw packs that were selling for $80-100, & their numbers PALE in comparison to what we take for granted now(I'm talking about 1200mah cells with voltages in the 1.11-1.13 range & run time around 260 sec. at 20 amps, at the very best), & now we can get cells that are light years beyond that even at the entry level prices, now THAT'S progress.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:18 PM   #59
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I too remember the battery wars of the early 90's. Paul Wynn told me that matchers back them would get calls from guys saying they wanted to get the best packs they had. They would throw out a riduculous price, like $200, so they wouldn't have to sell their top packs...but everytime the voice on the other side of the phone said OK let me get my Visa Card!

Today batteries are so close that even packs with so-so #'s is still good enough to win nationals. You can buy GP3300's from a dozen different matchers on line for ~$60 that are better than what Barry Baker has...I'm not kidding.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 12:33 AM   #60
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
~$60 that are better than what Barry Baker has...I'm not kidding.
Thats still expensive....Not all of us are rich