R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2001, 07:05 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
TB01 or TA04????

I currently run and have driven a TC3 for the past year and a half, Now I am planning on starting to race at a new track and wanted to run two classes. Well I visited last night and watched a few rounds. I decided to run the tamiya class, the rules are TCS rules so any Tamiya 4wd car can be run, most everyone was driving a TL01, but I want something different. Right now I am torn between the TB01 and the TL01. With my TC3 experience would you believe the TB01 to be a closer match tuning wise to what I am currently driving or does the TA04 outclass the TB01? TheTB01 will be the Raybrig NSX 2000, and the TA04 is the Ferarri 360 Modena which is prebuilt (slightly used) and has bearings, I already have bearings for the TB01 and all I need to do is install them as I build the car.

Any suggestions would be appriciated.

The Track is in Hanover,PA and is called RC outfitters, it's a nice indoor asphalt track if that makes a difference.

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 07:53 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

The TB01 will be hands down much better than a TL01, and the hop up potential is far greater. We have one and it is very easy to drive. My son beats most TA04s with his when he drives GT2 class (stock motor). We have a TC3 and are shaft drive fans. That said, we also have a TA04 that we run in GT1 (TCS rules, modified motor). The TA04 is more difficult to set up but it's gears and tranny handle hotter motors better than a TB01.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
r32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to r32

I agree, I found the TB-01 to have been more durable than my previous cars, and even while racing; for my local TCS series for the whole of last year, I think I DNFed only once.

However I'm beginning to hear things about the TB01's bevel gear failure, but it hasn't happened to me yet, and I've been using the bevel gear for the longest period of time.

Be warned as the TB01 is rather porky. At least the extra weight is doing something useful (beefing up the car!)
r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 12:35 AM   #4
Tech Master

I have TB-Evo and TRF414M in my RC garage.

I haven't run my TRF414M yet but some of the people at my track runs it and their car is very fast and stable.

I am running my TB-EVo now and that car is just amazing. I crashed it millions of times and it has not borken one part yet.

THe bevel gear thing, I think it only happens when you use the Carbon-shaft.

The only problem with my Evo is that the rare diff is kinda hard to tune it just right. It takes me a while to get it right.
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:03 AM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by r32

However I'm beginning to hear things about the TB01's bevel gear failure, but it hasn't happened to me yet, and I've been using the bevel gear for the longest period of time.
Dude, just stripped my rear gearbox, once again, yes the bevel gear connected to the ring gears are deformed.... OK the story is I was running a motor and it happened to overheat bad . How bad was it? Basically I could not even put my finger close to the heatsink :-) The shaft itself was hot... amazing the spur didn't melt.

oh btw the motor can be junked, even with new brushes it runs for only about 2 laps before it overheats, and the new brushes would have already turned from copper brown to blue-silver Comm has been cleaned with comm stick.

My theory is that the heat generated by the motor is transmitted to the Alum Motor Mount, where it then spread to the alum drive shaft. The rear bevel gear being the nearest there took the brunt of the heat... causing my car to be.... front wheel drive! Ack!

Disclaimer: Motor meltdown is *my* fault not the car's fault. R32's car has had a very very good run, not to mention another friend of mine's TB01 is in good condition. It's just me.

Quote:

Be warned as the TB01 is rather porky. At least the extra weight is doing something useful (beefing up the car!)
Huh not unless u show 'em the techniques to decrease weight :-) Mine weights in 1.65kg fully loaded. 100g is my body shell. My neo weights in exactly 1.5 kg Hopefully I can get some new gears by the time taising starts their races I don't want to run my other car.

~Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 04:13 AM   #6
Tech Master

Check out this car. TA04r
Or u could consider TB-EVO too.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:21 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up TAO4R

YEAH TRY TAO4R !
evolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 05:35 AM   #8
r32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to r32

Regarding the meltdown, maybe you should gear down the motor (a lot!). But then again, that's the recommended gear ratio, and did you have your heatsink on the car??? If meltdowns carry on I suggest you use the TG10's centre shaft (which can mate to the stock cast aluminium bevels) to prevent a similar occurence......

Evolverine: Come out to play someday?
r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 08:04 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I don't want a TB EVO, or TA04R, I just want the standard kit, as I mentioned before most of the racers are racing TL01s, so buying a a all-out racecar to race agianst these guys would be kinda like cheating to me.

Like I said before I just want a second car and this class makes the most since, because I don't want to spend all day tuning two cars/ two motors, ect.

Old 09-10-2001, 08:38 AM   #10
Tech Master

hmmm if so TB01 or TA04 would be ok I guess I got a TB01 (with a damaged bevel sad) and a friend with TA04s (evolverine).... both of us can play pretty ok, but imho his 04 is more stable as the suspension arms seem longer than mine.

Maybe if mostly are TL01s why not join the crowd? :-)
Old 09-10-2001, 08:55 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

After a little more thought, the TA04S (sport version) would be a better car out of the box as it would have a more efficient drivetrain and probably is lighter. We have upgraded our TB01 with ball diffs, universals, lightweight gears and the aluminum shaft.
coolrcdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 07:31 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I'm thinking of getting the TB01 rally version... will this experience those bevel gear problems? If so, how to fix?
dugrant153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 10:43 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to spider

impactplayer: get the tb01. cool car. and plenty of hopups too.

dugrant153: the problem that i have read is regarding the carbon fiber shaft. don't use it. stick with aluminum. bevel gears are okay.

get the tg10/tb01 long suspension kit. it makes the tb01 car more stable. 8)
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:11 AM   #14
Tech Elite

No thanks I already have an 04r and I wouldn't trade it for all the TB's in the world....no offense, but in my first race i wooped up on a few TB's besides why spend $50+ on long suspension arms, and then a few hundred extra on hop-ups, just to bring a TB01 up to 04r specs???? Just my opinion.....

Old 11-21-2001, 09:39 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Are there any other problems with the TB01? What about the TB01 rally version (which I'm thinking of getting)?

I read a review on the TB01 rally, and this hardcore RC rally guy said it really stunk as a rally car. Is this true? Is the TB01 just a good road car or what?
dugrant153 is offline   Reply With Quote