Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a car ready for VTA..

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Getting a car ready for VTA..

just for starters.. I am getting back into RC after 10 years or so..

I am looking to just have some fun and get out there racing.

Here's what I have.
I have two HPI RS4 electric cars and a RS4 parts car.

What recommendations do you have about what I should run to be semi competitive in VTA?

Any setup recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get the tires broke in first. They are slick & hard when new. You can put some traction compound on them and put them in a baggie overnight.

Set the ride height then weight balance the car.

You want a soft setup,light springs. Long camber links so the chassis rolls and gets the the most out the corners.

Do these 3 things and get the car stable, then adjust as needed.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Pretty good advice here. I used to race an RS4 Pro and it was one of the best cars at that time.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Getting new VTA tires to grip well is super important as mentioned above. Some guys here at MSI have run theirs on dry pavement in addition to doping them in a bag. It seems like there is sort of a veneer or sheen to the tire that has to be worn off.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What we have learned for new tires is to first clean them really good with lighter fluid and then gather every traction compound you can find and keep applying the different brands one at a time until they stop soaking in and then run them.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PhotoGreg
just for starters.. I am getting back into RC after 10 years or so..

I am looking to just have some fun and get out there racing.

Here's what I have.
I have two HPI RS4 electric cars and a RS4 parts car.

What recommendations do you have about what I should run to be semi competitive in VTA?

Any setup recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
Not sure if this will help you or not but I am selling the entire set-up
(Chassis TOP Photon, Tires x4 full sets, 3 Bodies) shown winning the Halloween classic in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIsQslSEtc

PM me if interested.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Just a quick update...

Took the cars to MSI to see what I am dealing with..
I bought the HPI's used, so gotta figure out whats broke, and then start dialing in.

It's obvious that I have a LOT of work to do.

I knew I wasn't going to be fast around the track, but the lack of traction was comical. Seeing the car come down the straight at speed, turn in slightly and see if go into a 4 wheel slide for 15-20 feet and slam into the wall. Didn't realize I bought a drift car (just kidding)
I believe this is due to the tires being old and needing to be replaced.

Anyways, for the first pack I just drove the car like a drift car. It was pretty twitchy down the straights. I ended up breaking the front bumper and then one of the steering links.

The other HPI has a dead ESC, so that was the end of the Touring cars..

I brought my truck in (RS4MT) and gave the controls to my son to see what he could do.. After a quick adjustment (and teeny tires on it) it was on the track. For a few minutes at least.
He walled it and snapped the chassis. heh.

So I am pondering if I want to stick with the HPI's? (parts availability is in question) or do I move to a TC3 or something similar.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Greg
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm fairly new to this whole VTA racing as well, in fact I'm new to this on-road racing period. But I will be racing up at MSI as well, although I still need a lot more practice and tuneing.

Some great tips on breaking the tires in, that was the first thing I noticed when I put my car on the track was how slippery the tires felt. I guess I'll go do some laps out in the driveway to break them in a little.

As far as what chassis to run, I'm a die hard HPI fan, so of course I'm going to tell you to run the old RS4 you have, lol. But you do have a good point as far as parts availability, that car has been discontinued for quite some time so parts are scarce. But I still think there's a "cool" factor when your running a chassis nobody else is.

Maybe I'll see you at the track some time and we can get in some practice laps together.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk
I'm fairly new to this whole VTA racing as well, in fact I'm new to this on-road racing period. But I will be racing up at MSI as well, although I still need a lot more practice and tuneing.

Some great tips on breaking the tires in, that was the first thing I noticed when I put my car on the track was how slippery the tires felt. I guess I'll go do some laps out in the driveway to break them in a little.

As far as what chassis to run, I'm a die hard HPI fan, so of course I'm going to tell you to run the old RS4 you have, lol. But you do have a good point as far as parts availability, that car has been discontinued for quite some time so parts are scarce. But I still think there's a "cool" factor when your running a chassis nobody else is.

Maybe I'll see you at the track some time and we can get in some practice laps together.
Yeah, I am a fan of associated and hpi, so I tend to stay with those brands.

Pink, are you on the DNO webstie? There's a guy there that goes by that handle.

I hope to be up there friday, but it depends if I have time to get the other RS4 running.

Greg
Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Be careful of the VTA rims if you use the chromed ones (of any flavor). Remove any of the chrome that gets left in the bead and along the outside of the wheel where the outer side wall of the tire laps over. If you don't, the CA glue will stick the rubber to the chrome better than the chrome is stuck to the plastic. The results get ugly after that (ask me how I know and when I figured that out!). Since I figured that out at the END of a main, I only use the plain black plastic rims (pain in the butt removing chrome).

Good advice on scuffing in new tires. Work them for a 4-5 minute run on a nice smooth asphault surface and they'll take tire sauce nicely and be ready to go. Some tire traction additives work better than others on the M compound tires, though! Try to avoid doing the ever popular donuts to scuff the tires (or to put some heat into them before a qual/main), though, as you'll do them more harm than good doing that.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im not sure about parts support for the RS4, it is a pretty old chassis. I know as far as associated goes, there are lots of TC3/4/5 cars around and getting spares is still possible. At MSI we carry more associated stuff as well.

I would definitely make it a priority to get VTA tires on your car and get them broken in and doped every run. This way you can start to get your car set up for the class. Tire dope is pretty essential on our track, regardless of the type of tire. You will also get a chance to get your VTA tires broken in asap, which as mentioned above is very important.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When it comes to supporting a car that old, the best thing that you can do is get what ever you can on ebay, at the best deal you can, and just use it as long as you can. I hate it but thats all there is unless you find some secret stash of parts.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PaintVagrant
Im not sure about parts support for the RS4, it is a pretty old chassis. I know as far as associated goes, there are lots of TC3/4/5 cars around and getting spares is still possible. At MSI we carry more associated stuff as well.
Yeah, I think I am gonna see if I can score a TC3 or TC4 roller.. I love the HPI's.. but I want to be able to replace crap when I break it.

I would definitely make it a priority to get VTA tires on your car and get them broken in and doped every run. This way you can start to get your car set up for the class. Tire dope is pretty essential on our track, regardless of the type of tire. You will also get a chance to get your VTA tires broken in asap, which as mentioned above is very important.
Heh Yeah, thats the plan. I hope to pick up two sets if you have them avail.

btw: Did anyone find a shock, I think I lost one up there.. Didn't realize it till tonight when I was fixing the broken rs4.

Greg
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
When it comes to supporting a car that old, the best thing that you can do is get what ever you can on ebay, at the best deal you can, and just use it as long as you can. I hate it but thats all there is unless you find some secret stash of parts.
Yeap... exactly what I was thinking.. I have the two of them, but on closer look ones an older RS4, the other is what looks like a RS4 2 with a carbon chassis and uprights.

Also, there are lots of parts that transfer over from my Nitro RS4 such as the a-arms, bumper, hub carriers, dogbones... so that should tide me over until I can get a hold of something newer. Who knows, maybe I can con the wife into letting me get a TC6.

Thanks!

Greg
Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Be careful of the VTA rims if you use the chromed ones (of any flavor). Remove any of the chrome that gets left in the bead and along the outside of the wheel where the outer side wall of the tire laps over. If you don't, the CA glue will stick the rubber to the chrome better than the chrome is stuck to the plastic. The results get ugly after that (ask me how I know and when I figured that out!). Since I figured that out at the END of a main, I only use the plain black plastic rims (pain in the butt removing chrome).
Yeah, I had a similar experience. Cost me the main as the left rear broke the glue bead and caused the car to pull hard to one side coming out of the corners cause the wheel was just spinning in the tire.

But thanks for the tip.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.