Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What to get with ~$1000 >

What to get with ~$1000

What to get with ~$1000

Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What to get with ~$1000

Hey guys, I havent been in the RC world for a year or so and Ive just gotten a good bit of money and Im using some of it to get back into my old hobbies. One of which is RC.

So Im spending $1000-1500 to get back into electric offroad, and Id like to spend $1000 or so and get into electric on road too.

I know nothing about onroad so I need some recommendations.

I will mainly use it for playing around in the streets until I can find some local races.

I have no real requirement other than I want fast and strong. And preferably something that I could fit a Porsche 911 body onto.

So give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Edit: What the difference between Pan and Touring cars?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clamber
Hey guys, I havent been in the RC world for a year or so and Ive just gotten a good bit of money and Im using some of it to get back into my old hobbies. One of which is RC.

So Im spending $1000-1500 to get back into electric offroad, and Id like to spend $1000 or so and get into electric on road too.

I will mainly use it for playing around in the streets until I can find some local races.

I have no real requirement other than I want fast and strong. And preferably something that I could fit a Porsche 911 body onto.

So give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Stick to touring cars, mainly RCGT. Great level if you have some experience with rc's, if totally new, hit up Vintage Trans Am. Either RCGT or VTA will be very big for on-road. Jump on that Losi touring car since it's 212 after tax at your lhs.

Losi Jrx-s-212
Tires and Rims-30
B/A Imax B6 quad charger and p/s around 200
Turnigy Lipos 100 for 5.
Speed Passion 17.5 and ESC around 130-150<priced sep, or wait for combo>

Meh, let's say 700 with body......decide what you want to do with the extra cash. Maybe setup station.

Please be warned. Once you try on-road, you might not take your venture off-road.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clamber

So give me some ideas.

Thanks.

First off see what classes are ran locally. Most likely the local drivers at the track will let you try out their cars. Depending on the area you will be choosing between Touring Sedan, World GT (1/10th scale pan), or 1/12th scale. A sub class of of Touring Sedan would be RCGT.

After you find the type of class you like that has good support and competition, buy a car most are running. Here at Timezone the World GT class is pretty much CRC's and the Sedan class is Top Photon, Xray, or Corally. Try to buy what the local guys run and the Hobby shop stocks. World GT will be a little less expensive to get into but for $1000 Sedan is not a deal breaker.

Prices:

Transmitter: Free (I assume you will already have it from offroad)

Sedan: $400 for Photon, $500 for Xray
Speedo: RS Pro $200
Battery: Thunder Power $120
Receiver: $90
Motor: $75
Body: $25
Tires: $26-$30
Transponder: $80

Total for Photon $1020

CRC WGT: $225
Speedo: RS Pro $200
Battery: Thunder Power 1s $60
Receiver: $90
Motor: $75
Body: $25
Tires: $30
Transponder: $80

Total for WGT $785

Both are just starting prices and you will spend money on parts and spares over time.

Good luck,

Troy
Old 11-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

your wife a present,goes a long way when buying rc stuff the rest of the year lol
Old 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

WHERE do you live? On road cars can be expensive if you're just going bashing. But if you want to race--you need to know what kind of support your local race tracks have for certain class's.
FWIW
T
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

I have a nice Hot bodies cyclone tc roller for sale. Look it up in the forsale forum.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mickrcarver
your wife a present,goes a long way when buying rc stuff the rest of the year lol

Spoken like a happily married man.