R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-12-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Receiver only works <3ft.

I accidentally hooked up a receiver pack to my Tekin Micro Reciever while the ESC switch was on. Ever since then, I have no control over the car unless I am less than 3 feet away. If I pull the receiver off the chassis and stretch the antenna far away as the wires allow, I can get maybe 6-10 feet of range.

Is my receiver shot? Or maybe it is the ESC? I still measure 5.7V across the red and black leads coming from the ESC (A Tekin 411P, I know - I know - I'm old school) so I think the BEC might be fine. Or at least I hope so. A new receiver is a lot cheaper than an ESC!

Thanks in advance.
SammyXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to Merciless

My guess is with the reciever ................

Infact i'd go as far as to say if anythings broke it's the reciever.

after saying that my using both the reciever pack and juice from the speedo you didn't double the voltage or anything so i can't see why it blew really............

I say this because as far as i know the terminals are in parreal ? not in series so you would get a cappacity boost not a voltage boost if understand what i'm tring to say ?!?!

have you tried testing your aerial for continuity ??? if that has a break in it, thats your problem maybe just coindenese it happen at the same time !
Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Tech Regular

I agree with you - I don't understand why supplying voltage from both sources would harm anything. If anything, I would think it would behave like a dead short across the reciever pack, but it never even got warm. It was only for a few seconds before I realized the switch was on. But most ESC instruction manuals do caution against leaving the BEC switch on when using a receiver pack.

Your suggestion about the antenna wire is a good one. I'll check for continuity and look into replacing it. Does anyone know what gauge wire that is? I know length is important, but do you also need to match the gauge?
Old 07-12-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Receiver only works <3ft.

Quote:
Originally posted by SammyXp
I accidentally hooked up a receiver pack to my Tekin Micro Reciever while the ESC switch was on. Ever since then, I have no control over the car unless I am less than 3 feet away. If I pull the receiver off the chassis and stretch the antenna far away as the wires allow, I can get maybe 6-10 feet of range.

Is my receiver shot? Or maybe it is the ESC? I still measure 5.7V across the red and black leads coming from the ESC (A Tekin 411P, I know - I know - I'm old school) so I think the BEC might be fine. Or at least I hope so. A new receiver is a lot cheaper than an ESC!

Thanks in advance.
Crystals? a friend of mind accidently switched the receiver and transmitter and had a simular problem. Loose crystal? re-seat the crystals....
Is there a way to "clear/reboot" it?
Make sure the receiver is clear of any and all other wiring.
Open up the receiver and clean it out.....

HTH
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Well I took the RX apart and cleaned it and held it away from the chassis and range definitely imrpoved to about 6-10ft but there is obviously still something wrong. I'll try reseating the crystal to see if that helps. Then I'll try changing the antenna wire.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Sorry didn't think about Crystals !!

I'd definately try another/different set of them before replacing the reciever
Old 07-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Tech Master

Some bright spark by the name of Dave Treacy thought it might be an idea to compile a list of standard aerial lengths for receivers, and I have to agree its a good idea - LOL accidents do happen!

To help me, if you own a shop and are prepared to measure the length of the aerial wire on a new receiver, please would you PM me with the length and receiver type.

If you have just bought a new receiver, please measure the aerial length and PM me too.

The wire used on most is 16/01 or sixteen strands of 0.1mm hook up wire, but I prefer and recommend the next size up which is 7/02 or seven strands of 0.2mm hook up wire - it is much stronger. You must replace the entire length, right back to the circuit board, joins in the cable will seriously reduce range.

Not much of a list yet, but I would hope to add to it soon, please!

KO297FZ 40MHz FM 33cm
KO301F 40MHz FM 33cm
Futaba FP-R103F 40MHz FM 36cm
Futaba FP-R122JE 40MHz AM 40cm
Novak XXL 40MHz FM 45.5cm
Hitec HFS-03MM 40Mhz FM 43cm
Jamara XT2 40Mhz FM 45 cm
LRP phaser comp 87400 40Mhz FM 34.5cm
Acoms AR-2/27 mini RX 27Mhz AM 48cm

knew this was on another forum board thought it might be of use ?!?!
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Well, I changed the antenna and it hasn't improved. The crystals could still be suspect, but I don't have any others to try. I'm trying to get my hands on some. If anyone's got some AM crystals or even a spare AM receiver they could sell, let me know.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #9
Tech Master

last race meeting my car would only go about 3 feet with other cars on track........ on its own it was fine. i changed frequency and everything was all back to normal.... i have no idea why this happend as i had changed nothing from the week before. :S
Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Well, I changed the antenna and it hasn't improved. The crystals could still be suspect, but I don't have any others to try. I'm trying to get my hands on some. If anyone's got some AM crystals or even a spare AM receiver they could sell, let me know.
You changed the LENGTH of the wire right?!?!?!

Someone I know actually change the pipe for the antenna and thought it would fix things....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
AM crystals? You might have a difficult time finding them.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:40 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Yeah, not many people using AM any more. That's why I am hesitant to even put any more money into it, if this is a faulty crystal or receiver. I'd rather invest in a new FM radio with synthesized channels.

As for the wire, I opened up the case, unsoldered the factory wire and replaced it with a new 19.5" 22g wire. The thing is - the factory wire was 12" from Tekin. What gives? I thought 75MHz AM antenna were 500mm (19 1/2") for land and 1000mm for air?