R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Bought an HPI Sprint 2

Hey guys, I'm just now getting settled into this hobby, I currently have an Associated SC10 and a Stampede VXL. A co worker won a sprint 2 for free, which I promptly purchased from him for a very low price. This is not the flux nor is it brushless. I happen to have a mamba max pro esc and castle 5700kv motor that need a home right now and I was curious if this motor and esc would be a good fit for the sprint. Also, in adding these items to the car am I going to be breaking alot of driveline parts with that much power?

Thanks in advance.
r7av7en7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r7av7en7 View Post
Hey guys, I'm just now getting settled into this hobby, I currently have an Associated SC10 and a Stampede VXL. A co worker won a sprint 2 for free, which I promptly purchased from him for a very low price. This is not the flux nor is it brushless. I happen to have a mamba max pro esc and castle 5700kv motor that need a home right now and I was curious if this motor and esc would be a good fit for the sprint. Also, in adding these items to the car am I going to be breaking alot of driveline parts with that much power?

Thanks in advance.
Get some spare dogbones, C-hubs, rear hubs, lower arms, and upper camber links.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The flux version has an HPI branded castle sidewinder and a 5700kv sensorless castle motor.

Regardless of which motor you put in it, I recommend cutting out a slot in the bottom chassis below the rear differential. If you don't it will trap pebbles and other debris in there and chew up the rear belt and diff casing. The faster motor will just accelerate the damage.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Sounds like this esc and motor will be a great fit then. I will go ahead and see what my LHS has as far as the replacement parts that were recommended.

Do you happen to have a link or a pic of the place to cut out below the rear diff?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r7av7en7 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Sounds like this esc and motor will be a great fit then. I will go ahead and see what my LHS has as far as the replacement parts that were recommended.

Do you happen to have a link or a pic of the place to cut out below the rear diff?
You might not want to just throw in that combo, yet. Are you planning on racing it at your local lhs??? If so, check with the owner and see what class if any you can run in. If you just wanna bash around and have fun, let it have the combo you are planning.
DuckStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckStang View Post
You might not want to just throw in that combo, yet. Are you planning on racing it at your local lhs??? If so, check with the owner and see what class if any you can run in. If you just wanna bash around and have fun, let it have the combo you are planning.
I just sent him an email asking this exact thing, thanks for the advice!
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just cut out the diff casings where the belt is. This is the area that is prone to rocks. Wherever the diff case covers the belt, cut that part of the case out. The drive line on the Sprint 2 is more than capable for brushless power. I recommend getting front cvd's, and a bearing for the belt tensioner.
TYLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Tech Master

You dremel out the area below the belt so it just spits out the bottom anything that might get sucked in there.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
Tech Adept

No need to cut the chassis, it is much better to just cut out the diff case.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLORD View Post
No need to cut the chassis, it is much better to just cut out the diff case.
I strongly disagree
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #11
Tech Adept

I cut the chassis on my first Sprint 2, rocks still tore up my belts from getting lodged between the diff case and belt. Cut the case if you want to really solve rock problems. After cutting my diff cases, I never broke another belt.

Not saying cutting the chassis is wrong, but it doesn't solve the problem of rocks getting stuck in between the case and belt.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the great info as well as the pic. I'm probably looking at an mmp esc and a 21.5 motor to run at my lhs carpet track. Thats what most of the guys are running.

How often is this thing going to go through belts? From what I'm reading it's quite a bit on a brushless set up.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
2xs
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you are only going to run it on a carpet track you shouldn't need to cut the chassis. I have been running mine as a VTA car on carpet for almost a year on the same belts. And the belts still look like new.

BUT if you think you are going to take it to a parking lot or outdoor asphalt track then you should think about cutting the chassis.
2xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xs View Post
If you are only going to run it on a carpet track you shouldn't need to cut the chassis. I have been running mine as a VTA car on carpet for almost a year on the same belts. And the belts still look like new.

BUT if you think you are going to take it to a parking lot or outdoor asphalt track then you should think about cutting the chassis.
Agreed. No need to do the belt mod for carpet.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Well, not carpet exclusive, there will be some parking lot running with a few friends of mine.