Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

3Racing Sakura Zero S

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the advice - really looking forward to the build and I know there's going to be more questions. Look forward to catching up at the track someday soon.

Pmac: didn't get to serccc today -Corp weather and had to do work. Another time.

BCZero: Wed night at the moment is a bit hard to get too due to a stupid night course. I've got an m05 so Ill prob try those springs then- didn't realize that theyll fit. I often drop into boronia during the week/weekend for a drive so might see you there. What have you got in the diffs and shocks. I was thinking of using 40wt in the shocks and I've got some different wt diff oils - 3k,100k& 300k I think.

See you around
Dave
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Diffs I run 2000wt rear, and a solid axle front, but when I ran a front gear diff it was 300k and that worked well.

Shocks I'm running ae 30wt. But if you run at serccc mainly 40w is a better choice.

Originally Posted by davlind
BCZero: Wed night at the moment is a bit hard to get too due to a stupid night course. I've got an m05 so Ill prob try those springs then- didn't realize that theyll fit. I often drop into boronia during the week/weekend for a drive so might see you there. What have you got in the diffs and shocks. I was thinking of using 40wt in the shocks and I've got some different wt diff oils - 3k,100k& 300k I think.

See you around
Dave
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi guys,

I've been racing 20-odd years and am just now starting to appreciate electric touring cars. I'm looking at getting a Zero S to race indoors on carpet, any advice please? Based on what I've read, the aluminium shocks seem like a sensible upgrade to give better damping performance.

Does it perform OK out of the box? Does anything wear out quickly?

I don't make a lot of mistakes (took me 20 years to learn that mind) so I'm not interested in changing something unless it adds performance or remedies an obvious weakness. That said, is there anything you guys would say needs to go on the car in addition to what's in the box, before it hits the track?

Cheers

Joe
Old 07-01-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joe_Keaveney
Hi guys,

I've been racing 20-odd years and am just now starting to appreciate electric touring cars. I'm looking at getting a Zero S to race indoors on carpet, any advice please? Based on what I've read, the aluminium shocks seem like a sensible upgrade to give better damping performance.

Does it perform OK out of the box? Does anything wear out quickly?

I don't make a lot of mistakes (took me 20 years to learn that mind) so I'm not interested in changing something unless it adds performance or remedies an obvious weakness. That said, is there anything you guys would say needs to go on the car in addition to what's in the box, before it hits the track?

Cheers

Joe
Joe,

The car runs fine straight out of the box, and even the plastic shocks work fine. They have such little travel I don't think the alloy ones make much of a difference.

The upgrades that I recommend are more for ease of use than anything else. These are the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapter, 19T layshaft pulleys, belt tensioner. The 19T pulleys give a biy more slack to the belts and loose is fast. The vertical motor mount makes motor adjustments so much easier. The belt tensioner keeps the loose belt from flapping too much.

There are some mods you need to make in order to use these parts. The upper deck needs a little grinding, but this takes no time with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. The drive belts have to move to the opposite side of the chassis and this change means they interfere with the battery pack guides. These guides need to be altered but once done fit back onto the chassis.

Nothing hard but thought you should know. I posted pics of my modes in this thread some time ago.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Steve,

I'll take a look. Many thanks for the tips.

Joe
Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default just got my zero

so what tow should i start with on rear of my new zero will be racing vta on carpet
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Sakura Zero S Vertical Motor mount issues

Can someone please post or PM me a picture of their Sakura Zero S with the Vertical Motor Mount SK-17 installed? I am having a really difficult time figuring out why my belt linked to the front of the car is not situated correctly.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SteveM
Joe,

The car runs fine straight out of the box, and even the plastic shocks work fine. They have such little travel I don't think the alloy ones make much of a difference.

The upgrades that I recommend are more for ease of use than anything else. These are the vertical motor mount, spur gear adapter, 19T layshaft pulleys, belt tensioner. The 19T pulleys give a biy more slack to the belts and loose is fast. The vertical motor mount makes motor adjustments so much easier. The belt tensioner keeps the loose belt from flapping too much.

There are some mods you need to make in order to use these parts. The upper deck needs a little grinding, but this takes no time with a Dremel and a small sanding drum. The drive belts have to move to the opposite side of the chassis and this change means they interfere with the battery pack guides. These guides need to be altered but once done fit back onto the chassis.

Nothing hard but thought you should know. I posted pics of my modes in this thread some time ago.
Agree that the plastic shocks work fine. The aluminium ones are more durable in a good impact and are capable of much finer tuning. Not a right away necessary upgrade but put it on the "going to get" list.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by buckeye dan
so what tow should i start with on rear of my new zero will be racing vta on carpet
For vta on carpet I ran 1 degree. Even tried 0 and it worked just fine. I would say 2 is max for vta. I run 3 in usgt but never even thought of 3 in vta.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nicetry2013
Can someone please post or PM me a picture of their Sakura Zero S with the Vertical Motor Mount SK-17 installed? I am having a really difficult time figuring out why my belt linked to the front of the car is not situated correctly.

Thanks!
Phone won't post pics but did you flip the belts to the opposite side and did you grind the battery mounts? Make sure the belt isn't rubbing the mounts.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Thanks!
Here you go.

Last edited by SteveM; 12-24-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SteveM
Here you go.
Thanks Steve!

Looks like I need to flip the rear set up so that my belts are they way yours are. I currently have them set up per the manual
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Have to say I am very impressed with this car. Was running an AE tc5r in vta here and it ran pretty good but could never seem to catch the guy who won every race with his Zero s, so I bit the bullet and ordered one, built it to the manual, and the first night out with it sat on the pole and won the A main. Would never have thought that a $100 car could outperform the likes of tc5s,tc6.1s, and xrays and havn"t even added any upgrades yet. Know can anyone tell me what tool to use to get this ear to ear grin off my face I can't seem to stop.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shadowracer24
Have to say I am very impressed with this car. Was running an AE tc5r in vta here and it ran pretty good but could never seem to catch the guy who won every race with his Zero s, so I bit the bullet and ordered one, built it to the manual, and the first night out with it sat on the pole and won the A main. Would never have thought that a $100 car could outperform the likes of tc5s,tc6.1s, and xrays and havn"t even added any upgrades yet. Know can anyone tell me what tool to use to get this ear to ear grin off my face I can't seem to stop.
Don't need a tool for that one. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Its amazing the number of people who think they need an xray associated etc to be competitive. I have actually made a few people mad by beating them with a sakura. I'm glad that most people want to know more about the car and they are actually impressed that it does so well.

Keep the grin. it doesn't go away.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks Steve!

Looks like I need to flip the rear set up so that my belts are they way yours are. I currently have them set up per the manual
When using the vertical motor mount, the belts are reverse what the manual says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.